Gibson Brands Forums

Blue and Lonesome

Californiaman

For some reason, I just can't stop listening to the Rolling Stones new release, Blue and Lonesome. Fantastic album. Really takes you back to a bye-gone era when southern blues played with a Chicago influence ruled the day.

Hope you have a chance to check it out. Because in my estimation, it's a record that will be one of the band's most definitive albums in their history.

Here's the link to the album on Youtube.

Y'know I was excited when I first hear about this album coming out. I've been a fan of the Stones since I first saw them on TV in London in 1962 and still like the stuff they do.

Unfortunately I don't like this album, and this is somebody that loves Blues and listens a number of times a day....it's my genre!

Firstly it's Mick's voice, I don't like him singing Blues. Maybe it's all those years off associating him with those other tracks and I know that much of their material was derived from old Blues numbers, even their name, but it's not working for me at all.

So I hate to buck the trend but there it is! It just doesn't work for me and I am disappointed as I had high hopes!

Blues to me is gritty, not slick & polished, but again that is a personal thing. It's meant to be full of emotion too.

Thanks Californiaman for the topic and the links. Very interesting!

I like the record. It sounds like a bunch of old blues covers recorded in a few days... which is exactly what it is. It's got a nice lively room sound which is always a nice sound for this band. Seems like a good reset album to me.... here's where we came from ya know.

Wouldn't be surprised if an album of good original material followed... unless someone dies of course.

We had a snow day today, so I took the day off, Caliman and me cruised up to Eagle Guitars and he brought alone Blue and Lonesome and I gotta say, i really enjoyed it. The Stones roots are the Blues and its great to see them return to their origins, hopefully this will bring the art of the Blues to a younger generation, but that maybe overly enthusiastic, I don't even know if the Stones are listened to by anyone under 50,But I enjoyed it very much.

...Blues to me is gritty, not slick & polished...

That's an odd observation, Digger.

I listened to the album on my PC so perhaps I wasn't getting the full Hi-Fidelity content but what I heard was the polar opposite of "slick & polished".

I thought it sounded pretty rough and even a bit ratty...

eusa_think.gif

It took me a few tracks before my ears 'tuned-in' but once I had adjusted accordingly it reminded me very strongly of a lot of Howlin' Wolf's stuff. Most closely, coincidentally (perhaps), of his 1970 'London Sessions' album. I say coincidentally because on that recording (along with HW, Clapton and Winwood) the drum'n'bass duties were executed by Watts and Wyman.

Thanks for the post, Cali. I liked it. I will have to listen to it again. I might even ask for the CD for my birthday...

Pip.

I like the record. It sounds like a bunch of old blues covers recorded in a few days... which is exactly what it is. It's got a nice lively room sound which is always a nice sound for this band. Seems like a good reset album to me.... here's where we came from ya know.

Wouldn't be surprised if an album of good original material followed... unless someone dies of course.

I agree with you.

The album, when you take the time to read the liner notes, is exactly what it says it is.

I love it.

It's the Stones' roots.

I think paying homage to what you cut your teeth on as a blues based band, when you first started playing as a group so many years ago, is certainly respectable (no pun intended there for those of you who are familiar with the Some Girls album).

While working on the recording sessions for another album the band in 2015, the Stones hit a creative wall and were at an impasse.

Keith said, Lets play Blue and Lonesome. The engineer in the recording room hit play and captured it just as you hear it on the record. Over the course of the next three days, they churned and burned and rock and rolled their way to a wonderful blues album.

Eric Clapton was in the recording studio down the hall and the Stones asked him if he would like to play on a couple of songs. He did. How cool is that?

Hey Eric, come on over and play some blues with us.

Sure, I'll bring my strat right over. Why don't we play...

Yeah, cool stuff.

Thanks for the post, Cali. I liked it. I will have to listen to it again. I might even ask for the CD for my birthday...

Pip.

You're welcome Pip.

I like the rawness of a band in a room, all micd up, and getting after it.

I would love to see a documentary on what went into making Blue and Lonesome.

We had a snow day today, so I took the day off, Caliman and me cruised up to Eagle Guitars and he brought alone Blue and Lonesome and I gotta say, i really enjoyed it. The Stones roots are the Blues and its great to see them return to their origins, hopefully this will bring the art of the Blues to a younger generation, but that maybe overly enthusiastic, I don't even know if the Stones are listened to by anyone under 50,But I enjoyed it very much.

Hey man...

I had a great time truckin' around town with you Jim.

JR had some nice gear in his shop this week. I was impressed with some of the guitars he had hanging on the wall.

The Rickenbacker 4003 bass was especially nice. The J-45 and that rosewood telecaster type guitar were pretty good.

The Zach Myers PRS sigs were nice. Great price point too.

I was really interested in the story he was telling about the industrial espionage that S. Korea and China were engaged in.

He was saying China hacked the CNC machines in the S. Korean factory that makes the PRS ZM Sig and it set production back six months.

:-k

I love it, because it reminds me of the "feel" of the 1st couple of Rolling Stones albums, which were (mostly)

"blues" covers. Maybe Mick's voice isn't BB King, John Lee Hooker, or Howlin' Wolf! But, he didn't have those

voices, on the original blues cover albums, either. So, that doesn't bother me. Besides, Mick is blowing a

real decent "harp" on this, and that alone would be worth his contribution(s). I feel like they were just

having a ball, making the kind of music that they all love, and which has been their big influence, at the

beginning, and ever since. Nothing wrong with that! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I downloaded it but have not listened to it yet. Since Some Girls "The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World" have been an embarrassment. I saw them in '81 or '82 on the Tattoo You Tour and man I can never get those 2 hours of excruciating torture back. Hope it is as good as some people say.

I like you, FZ Fan, so I'm going to give you some advice.

Don't listen to it. You won't like it. You can thank me for letting you know not to have wasted 40 mins of your life later on if you have time to do so - but not until then!

If you DO listen to it you will moan and moan and moan and moan so just don't do it in the first place.

Hope that helped!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Archived