Gibson Brands Forums

Get 'er done in 2017!

Buc McMaster

Well I've set my mind to overcome my apprehension and get out there and play..........my desire to do so overrides my dread at the prospect! I have also decided that the Hummingbird is my guitar of choice for such a venture and, to that end, I have ordered a Schertler Yellow Single preamp to go along with the DYN-G 48P soundboard mic I already have. I refuse to install a pickup in this guitar, it is so lightweight and magnificent as it is and I shall not alter it. When the preamp arrives I'll borrow and acoustic amp from my buddy at the music store and set about dialing in the pickup/preamp combination here at home. I'll set the amp EQ flat and suss out the pickup position on the guitar top and the preamp settings. Then, with perhaps minor tweaks, I figure I can do the same with pretty much any amp or PA system I might encounter at an open mic night. Should doing open mics evolve into something else, the same rig will work perfectly with any other situation I might encounter.

I've looked at a bunch of different amps, pickups and preamps and this setup is the one I decided on. I love the sound of a condenser mic on an acoustic guitar but this is not too practical when doing stuff on different stages. The Schertler pickup is a condenser mic and the Yellow the preamp they make to optimize its' performance. I hate hearing a jangly, whiney acoustic guitar played live.....bad tone is bad tone. This pickup/preamp rig has endless options for adjustment and should be a source of most excellent live acoustic tone.

Wish me luck, eh? [cool]

You have the talent, chops, and songs, so I see no reason why this should not turn out great. You seem to set very high standards for yourself, and I suspect you might in this case be your own worst enemy. I bet the audience will enjoy whatever you decide to give them.

Best of luck! I wish I had the talent to do what you do.

Lars

I wish you luck! I hope someone records it. Ask BayouBengal for advice there - his liver performances are awesome.

Oh and when the ladies come up afterwards... talk about how you used to record with dwight yoakham, then pretend you have to take a quick call, so you cant get called out on it.... then come back to the ladies in five minutes and ask "now who can use a drink?"

That's what EuroAussie does!

You don't need any luck, Buc.

I agree.

There are times I miss gigging. Haven't done much since I quit drinking, which has been nearly 7 years.

Not many venues for live music around here except bars, and it's just tough for me to do bars anymore.

I hope I outgrow that.

Buc, I know you will be successful as you have a boat load of skill and talent and a good ear for tone.

The best, my friend.

That preamp looks useful!

It would work nicely for other things you may like to try later, as well as perfect for the mic. Sometimes just having a volume knob helps and the ability to turn down the booming out bass, and I think you will have it all covered now.

So get out there and do it!

BluesKing777.

I need all the encouragement I can get! [unsure] I played and sang on stages all over the area some years back and didn't have a worry, but somehow that confidence has abandoned me now. I know it's a mind game thing.........got to get passed it.

Yes, BK, the Yellow preamp looks very useful! It has the 48V phantom power the pickup needs and I'm really liking the 4-bands of EQ, plus the resonance control. Appears to be very versatile and just the ticket for what I need.

The old Nike logo is the answer! Just do it!

Thinking about it is the enemy. Humans are the only creatures that do this. The Hound lives in the NOW - will I chase that cat now? Will I hide from that cat now? All decided on the spot. (Pun intended).

Nothing wrong with having all your ducks lined up, but don't let it prevent you going.

Easy for me to give advice, haven't played anywhere except a damn funeral I just couldn't wriggle out of - nerves, wow, grumpy at everyone, shakes, guitarist that was before me didn't turn up, so to end the pain I just said I'll go next.....first song and they were turning my mic up and down and inside out on the mixer and a guy I know was making some kind of (unpre-arranged) hand signal which may have been to sing louder, or play louder or......and the crowd talked on and banged their seats and glasses and yelled and talked and somebody was asking me something and......everything that I worried about before came true I suppose..........and then I was FREE! Played another 4 or 5 songs and went over really well once the crowd noticed me, babbled something to them and said thanks and ....

Headed to the bar! Funeral wake or not, I had 'done it!'

Had mental plans to go here and go there and play and keep up the momentum....didn't. Now I would have to go through all that again, well that is the feeling. <_<

Years ago, when playing in bands, I was always a bit nervy, mainly on so called big gigs and important gigs, but that funeral wake was ridiculous!

BluesKing777.

Buc, not trying to beat a dead horse by continuing to heap-on the praise, BUT, if you sounded any better than what I've heard on the links you've supplied in here I'd wonder "what-the-hell you doing hanging-around with us?" You sound superb. You are very, very easy-to-listen-to. Solid playing and strong vocals. It simply doesn't get much better. I agree with Lars. I believe you're "over-thinking" this and making it too complicated. I think most listeners would be delighted to hear you. Good and basic gear is all you need.

Dammit, Buc, you're in TEXAS! You sound good and play well. You have a couple excellent guitars. Get out there and don't be surprised when you go over in fine fashion - just don't let the ladies exhaust you too much between sets...

You will do more than fine mate, but if you get a chance, try both guitars out sometime. Ill be willing to bet over time you will prefer the Dove over the Bird when it comes to plugged in tone. I just got back to Prague and to stay awake im fiddling with the guitars and just A/B's again the HB TV and maple J-150 plugged in and have to say the J-150 wins out again due to the note clarity. It just gives me a bit more confidence plugged in compared to the muddier Hummingbird.

Anyway, you will do great with either guitar. Dont forget to give the ladies a little wink. B)

Archived