Gibson Brands Forums

My First Mandolin Attempt

kwalker201

I bought a mandolin yesterday at a local GC. Not knowing how to play it I practiced last night and today and attempted this cover. Gorilla sized hands makes playing this thing a challenge. I'm open to rocks being thrown at me.

Recording was in GarageBand with just a beta 58 picking up mando and vocals on one track then followed with guitar on 2 track with the 58.

https://soundcloud.com/misterk201/more-of-you

Tell us a little about the mandolin! I can't claim gorilla-size hands, but definitely sasquatch-size, and have been making noise on the mandolin for a lot of years. Always interested to hear about what someone's picked for their first (or second or...) mandolin☺

It is a used Kentucky KM-150. I got it for 2 bills. Not knowing if I could play it well I just couldn't see investing a chunk of money at the moment. Picked it up Thursday night and with the ice storm going on this weekend it's been a good time to learn a song on it.

It is a used Kentucky KM-150. I got it for 2 bills. Not knowing if I could play it well I just couldn't see investing a chunk of money at the moment. Picked it up Thursday night and with the ice storm going on this weekend it's been a good time to learn a song on it.

That's a pretty good choice for a starter mandolin, and evidence is that you're putting it to good use!

Busy weekend so hadn't much time to be listening properly

Finally did and it's just terrific. Best thing posted in a while for me

Been listening to a bit of hank Williams lately so I'm drawn to the lovely country melody on this song.

Top class , not being polite for the sake of being polite.

A round of applause from me boss

Might dust mine down . No time lately and a bit of a lack of inspiration of late though. Is very depressing

Archived