Gibson Brands Forums

J45 v day one.

chipss36

Things I am very happy about, build is very very nice, a few things that my now sold j45tv irked me are now gone, pick guard placement being one is perfect on the V, my tv had a very yellow burst, I like the more orange ish hues of the V, some do not like the darker look, I love it. The top wood is interesting very tight grain at the seam, then it opens up a bit in the middle and under the black tightens up again. A few areas show claw. It's a better peice of wood than my old tv, The back and sides are flawless, very consistent, the fretboard and bridge, are solid one piece, and do not have that strange orange tint my tv had, build wise I am thrilled so far, not one issue.

Sound wise, sounds like a j45, for sure, but need some more time on it before I comment.

post-41285-094332900 1484894768_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking J45. Hope it works out for you!

well she got sent back, sadly the worst wolf tones I have ever experienced, the guitar had everything going for it, the build, the woods, but from 2-3k, a loud and swelling ring that did not relate the fundamental, the tone also warbled,

I could see this in pro tools, with isotope insight, on a waterfall plot, never seen anything like it, also the f cord regardless where it was played, just vanished from the mix.

kind of sad, to see such a great guitar and great woods, sound so bad.

sad that returns are all to common these days, between lifting guards, bad action, bad neck sets, poor sound and finish flaws,I think gibson should slow production and find the way to regain consistency, around here one must try many to find one that sounds great AND has no flaws.perhaps the current years wont be remembered as a good time for g

i see truth gives me a bad rep- i didnt say gibson sucked just that latley there has been some qc problems but it seems some people here dont like any negative remarks even if true - forums should be open to all opinions not just those of the top 5 or 6 frequent [cursing] posters who seem awfully sensitive to these issues and love to give thoughts to nubies with new guitars but get nasty at any percieved slight of the FACTORY mass producing the product cheers to the others who are open to real exchange of thoughts or opinions...j

You must have sound-sensitivity gifts I could never aspire to have.

By the way, I hear that term often nowadays (not in life but rather on guitar forums). What are wolf tones?

Have you experimented with different strings? I have a few Gibsons... and they sound drastically different depending on string choice. Martin Retros or D'Addario PB Nickel Bronze make my Gibsons sound nasally, which is perfect for some stuff I play or record, but when I get tired of that sound, I throw on the Gibson Masterbilt strings again and return to Crisp Snap Zing (CSZ is the acronym I hereby patent).

Sorry the guitar didnt work out. Want to buy my Taylor 214?

I googled it. Apparently not so much a 'tone' as a resonating or a 'beating' that can occur in 'better' stringed instruments especially violins,depending upon things including string choice and whether the instrument is in-tune. Most people cannot hear them. It is the conflict between the string frequency and the body's frequency. As usual, another first for me. I hear of all sorts of guitar phenomena here I never knew existed. I'm fear I'm becoming a guitar-hypochondriac.

FWIW I acquired a J45 Vintage about a week ago. (Traded a custom D18 on it plus a few dollars.) While I can't speak to the technical aspects of the tone, I find that it provides one of the very best combinations of tone, projection, volume, balance, playability and overall enjoyment of any quitar that I have owned.

I have owned a 2016 j45 vintage since it arrived from southpaw guitars last july- at first, i was a bit unsure of the tone, but soon found the set of strings that seem optimal to my ears. It did not have as much of the "glassy" tone i relate to brand new red spruce tops. It is a very fine guitar, but doesn't excel over my '46 sj, which is truly vintage.

I have owned a 2016 j45 vintage since it arrived from southpaw guitars last july- at first, i was a bit unsure of the tone, but soon found the set of strings that seem optimal to my ears. It did not have as much of the "glassy" tone i relate to brand new red spruce tops. It is a very fine guitar, but doesn't excel over my '46 sj, which is truly vintage.

What strings did you like?

i see truth gives me a bad rep- i didnt say gibson sucked just that latley there has been some qc problems but it seems some people here dont like any negative remarks even if true - forums should be open to all opinions not just those of the top 5 or 6 frequent [cursing] posters who seem awfully sensitive to these issues and love to give thoughts to nubies with new guitars but get nasty at any percieved slight of the FACTORY mass producing the product cheers to the others who are open to real exchange of thoughts or opinions...j

You say what? Lost ya somewhere in there...😯

D'addario (lights) EXP 16 for me - but I'm open to suggestions.

I do like D'Addarios and will probably re-visit them but, after a second attempt at Masterbilts, I have to say that Masterbilts, as others, do settle down. Seems that a lot of posters have said that about various strings but some of us have to re-invent the wheel.

First of all, I don't really care for this "point system" in regards to comments made. That said, I gave jvi a +1 simply because he was given a -1 for raising an honest issue. ............ A lousy guitar will stick-out like a sore thumb. I have no idea what isotope insight is and likely wouldn't understand or care about it anyway. I hope the original poster finds the guitar he needs.... Like Sal, I still don't know what these wolf tones are. Maybe 1 or 2 or maybe all 8 of my Gibsons have wolf tones, but I don't know it and could care less because I like the way each guitar sounds. I suspect they all might have the dreaded wolf tones, because I'm known to howl at the moon a few nights each week and my guitars are usually there howling with me....... Don't let the internet babble ruin your enjoyment of playing.

The dreaded "wolf tone" is often a symptom of being out-of-tune, plain and simple. Rely too much on an electric doodad, and you lose sight of the fact that a certain amount of tempering is vital to a proper-sounding acoustic instrument. No two are identical, and there has to be a degree of compensation within a given instrument and from one to the next as well. I don't doubt that some guitars make it past QC with significant issues - hell, I've played a few - but most often the "wolf tone" issue can be traced to the player.

I have no doubt the guitar sent back didn't sound good to the OP. The J45v I played was wonderful, the only new Gibson that has come close to the sound of the old ones.

I also would set no store by having a machine validate my ears. I have a friend who continues to rail about the intonation on all his guitars being off since he got a really good tuner. He somehow does not understand how much of a compromise fretted instruments are, and expects every note on every fret to be spot on.

Was even more perplexed when I told him how flat I tune every string on my guitar, to varying degrees, as much as 12 cents.

I also asked a very good shop where the guitars they sent back go to. His answer was to big box online retailers.

Archived