Gibson Brands Forums

Is it just me, or are these prices just......CRAZY?

jaxson50

I have played only one Ric, well, I tried, the neck profile was a 2x4 with about a 1/4" round on each side, crazy-*** neck...no thanks. My friend that owned it sold it. I think he bought it for the image of the band he was in.

Never met a Rickenbacker I could play for more than thirty seconds without hating life, and I've never even played one plugged in, can't get that far with them...

And I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

CB, Dub and a few others have absolutely drop-down-dead gorgeous Ric's - and I really mean that - and I've learned that not all have what is essentially a fretted broom-handle instead of a neck but still; I've never ever played a Ric and thought "YES!"

Perhaps I need to keep on trying different varieties? Then again; perhaps I don't.

Pip.

Re Rics....:blink:

Ignoring the Ric featured earlier hereon....dry.gif

Rics are great, quality, fine sounding instruments....

They seem, in some way to compliment Gretsch's.....having a country-esque flavour for the taking....[thumbup]

Their S/C toasters are IMO superb....analogous with Gretsch's Dynasonics.....[thumbup]

Beatles 'n Byrds knew what they were about.....the Ric 12 str has it's own characterful sound...

Gotta dig a Ric or 2.....[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

I've played a few Ricks but never found them to be my cup of tea. I was temped by a Ricky Dakota once but it was a $500.00 guitar priced at $2,000.00. Now if I could find a nice Mossy for a realistic price that is one odd ball git fiddle I would consider msp_unsure.gif

......at least there is one person that is out there buying them......

Good for him.

He's worked very hard at honing his craft and, unlike some collectors/speculators, actually uses the majority of his instruments - both in the studio and out on the road. And he really knows his stuff! If anyone deserves to enjoy owning a couple of hundred of the most coveted guitars ever crafted it's J.B.

Nice group highlighted in the link. Thanks for posting it, pappy!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I'd buy a burst if I won a huge lottery but would never spend money I earned on something so frivolous. Not the one in the OP, though, it's kind of ugly. I have thought about buying a 50s P-90 Custom but even those are in the $50,000 range and I'd have reservations playing it out. Im OK paying four digits for a guitar but not five.

And what I don't understand is why people don't understand 50s burst prices. They have an important spot in rock & roll's history, that's what you're paying for.

Do you do the same with old cars or artwork? I never look at a 427 Shelby Cobra and question why someone would pay $300,000+ for a car that handles worst than my Accord, and I also don't wonder why people pay stupid money for something like a Van Gogh when I can get something similar from Bath & Beyond for $40.

And I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

CB, Dub and a few others have absolutely drop-down-dead gorgeous Ric's - and I really mean that - and I've learned that not all have what is essentially a fretted broom-handle instead of a neck but still; I've never ever played a Ric and thought "YES!"

Perhaps I need to keep on trying different varieties? Then again; perhaps I don't.

Pip.

Rick's can be an "acquired" taste. [tongue][biggrin] I've had Ric 12-strings, "forever." So, I'm used to their idiosyncrasies.

And, for "that sound," it's worth it (to me, anyway) to put up with the narrow necks, etc. One does have to learn some "short cut"

fingerings. But, once you do, they're quite useful, even on my other 6-strings. But, I know a LOT of people that wouldn't be caught

dead, with a Ric, of ANY kind. Apparently, a few of them, on this forum, by what I've read here. [biggrin] That's just fine!

Heck, I'm so "Weird," I can't find a PRS that I like! Never been into the look or feel of "shredder" guitars, either. Just different

strokes, for different folks! It's all Good!

As to the prices, on "Vintage" and even reissue LP's and such? I don't mind...I'll never buy one,

anyway. And, the "Vintage" guitars I own, were purchased new, 30 to 50+ years ago! So, they've

appreciated, in value for various reasons, mostly "inflation," and/or some perceived, and inflated

marketing value. Original Les Paul's, and some other's were made in very limited quantities! Not

like today's manufacturing quotas. So, there's just (by comparison) a very few of them left. So,

not surprised they command the prices they do. It IS interesting, that a guitar that was (basically)

a sales failure, now commands such pricing, and adulation. But, you can thank EC, Mike Bloomfield,

and the like, for that. And, even if I had a '59 LP Bust, I sure as heck wouldn't sound like any

of them. [tongue][crying]

CB

I'd buy a burst if I won a huge lottery but would never spend money I earned on something so frivolous. Not the one in the OP, though, it's kind of ugly. I have thought about buying a 50s P-90 Custom but even those are in the $50,000 range and I'd have reservations playing it out. Im OK paying four digits for a guitar but not five.

And what I don't understand is why people don't understand 50s burst prices. They have an important spot in rock & roll's history, that's what you're paying for.

Do you do the same with old cars or artwork? I never look at a 427 Shelby Cobra and question why someone would pay $300,000+ for a car that handles worst than my Accord, and I also don't wonder why people pay stupid money for something like a Van Gogh when I can get something similar from Bath & Beyond for $40.

Good points.

And by the way after all these years I still thank you for having steered me in the Historic direction when I was looking for an LP.

I love this new trend of passive aggressive advance opinion blocking.

"No offense if some of you out there do not play enough to actually show signs of use on a guitar”

Completely unnecessary, and how do you start a sentence which is "offensive" in the purest sense of the word with "No offense...".

That one's had me laughing since I first read it😄 Mostly, 'cause I thought being irritated by that tact meant I had an issue that nobody else could possibly understand😢

I'm actually kind of "bummed," that the only Gibson's I have a hankering for, are Way beyond what

I can now justify spending, on ANY guitar! [crying][unsure][tongue]

CB

You mean I'm not the only one? I can't say for sure that 'misery loves company', but it's somehow encouraging to know that one isn't the only victim of self-denial😐😒😌

You mean I'm not the only one? I can't say for sure that 'misery loves company', but it's somehow encouraging to know that one isn't the only victim of self-denial������

:D I don't think it's just you/us, OldCowboy! I know a LOT of players, that are feeling that way, nowadays. Some, of course,

will always buy a certain guitar, or brand, regardless of what they cost. And, more power to 'em! But, NOT ME! Besides, we all

know it's in the heart, soul, and fingers, of a player anyway. As long as the instrument is well made, intonates properly, and

sounds and plays well, that's all that is relevant, really. The rest is "Marketing," personal preference, and/or "Ego!"

Heck, I already have all (and more) of the guitars I'd ever need, or want...really. But, there's always

One (or more) that seem to "tempt" me, or have been on my "Bucket List," for awhile. IF I get them,

fine...if not, that's OK, too! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

:D I don't think it's just you/us, OldCowboy! I know a LOT of players, that are feeling that way, nowadays. Some, of course,

will always buy a certain guitar, or brand, regardless of what they cost. And, more power to 'em! But, NOT ME! Besides, we all

know it's in the heart, soul, and fingers, of a player anyway. As long as the instrument is well made, intonates properly, and

sounds and plays well, that's all that is relevant, really. The rest is "Marketing," personal preference, and/or "Ego!"

Heck, I already have all (and more) of the guitars I'd ever need, or want...really. But, there's always

One (or more) that seem to "tempt" me, or have been on my "Bucket List," for awhile. IF I get them,

fine...if not, that's OK, too! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Ditto, nothing else to say!

Save

Archived