Gibson Brands Forums

New Custom Shop Models

Twang Gang

What do you think of the new Custom Shop offerings? I guess it's good that they come out with something different, but the choices seem a little off to me. An L-5 Studio, maybe a good choice if you really want an L-5 but don't want to spend the $10K that they usually go for. But a stripped down L-5 just doesn't seem quite right to me. Nickel hardware, simple binding and the two colors are a little strange: brass and army green. Marketing pitch says the colors add some rock influence, but an L-5 is really not the first choice for rock n roll.

There is a double cut LP with P-90s which should be popular for those who love P-90s, but like the new 336 it has a wrap-around bridge. So I guess the intonation is always perfect and will never need adjusting? The 336s haven't been made for a few years, so good to see them come back again, and the new colors are pretty nice, but I would not be a fan of P-90, no maple top and the wraparound. The 336 with the carved Maple top and classic '57 pickups is capable of very woody midrange tones, but also of nice clear sparkle. With a mahogany top and P-90s I don't think you will get the same wide range of tones but I haven't played one of course so they may be wonderful.

Then there is a new Les Paul for $7K. No push pulls, custombucker pups, and "hard rock maple" top. So $4500 more than a Standard, with less electronics, but some cool colors and the "secret recipe custom order" maple top?? Again haven't played one so maybe it's worth every penny?

A mandolin for $6200. I don't play mandolin, or bluegrass music but that seems expensive. [confused]

Did you see how much the Mandolin was then [scared]

Well, having watched various things in the 'Vintage' banjo, mandolin and ukulele market over the last few years, I was surprised to see how reasonably it was priced!...

Could be worse...on your link at the top under its thumbnail pic it says $7999!...(I wouldn't say no to one though)...

Curious.I've checked another four times (just to make sure) and it's always $3999 in my neck of the world.

eusa_think.gif

Perhaps we Brits enjoy a 'Special Relationship' with the New England the USA after all?

Pip.

well, I was born in Scotland, and this is about the spending of money, so...

Yeah I see that too... Lol they cant even agree on a price on their own site :D

Id imagine Pippy will agree with you ;)

Even if I was still working, and making the kind of money that would allow for ANY CS model purchase,

I simply refuse to pay those astronomical prices, for a guitar! Hell, they might as well just start

charging $100,000 for CS models, and cater to only the fantastically wealthy Rock Stars, billionaires,

and Saudi Princes. 'Cause they've obviously lost touch, totally, with "Working musicians!" Gibson's

(Henry's) Hubris, has soared out of the galaxy! [scared][cursing][flapper]

Much as I've always loved the product, and as many Gibby's as I own, I'm DONE! [crying][cursing]

IF there are any more Gibson's in my future (doubtful), they'll be "used," and only at reasonable

"Used" prices, at that!

CB

Even if I was still working, and making the kind of money that would allow for ANY CS model purchase... 'Cause they've obviously lost touch, totally, with "Working musicians!" Gibson's

I'm not sure that the CS models were ever necessarily targeted at 'working musicians' CB, more for those who want something a bit special I'd have thought. All the regular lines were still there for the masses when CS came along and are good instruments to do a job. I actually reckon they've done quite a bit in the way of making even more decent affordable instruments for working musicians in recent years with some of the Studios (LP, 335, SG etc), Faded models and so forth. I doubt the CS models were ever designed to be for everyone.

Well the thread wasn't supposed to be about price alone, but what various opinions were about the guitars.

I suppose a guitar is like anything else, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. They are exclusive in that you can't get a L-5 Studio, or a LP with rock hard maple top, or an all mahogany 336 from anyone else. And my experience with Custom Shop builds (3) is that they are perfect right out of the box.

But I just felt some of the choices were strange. The double cut special in the gold/black finish looks really cool. But sometimes it seems tradition gets in the way of practicality (ie the wraparound bridge). I buy guitars to play them and want them to sound as good possible and I don't get why for that kind of money there is no ABR-1 so you can adjust intonation?

I'm not sure that the CS models were ever necessarily targeted at 'working musicians' CB, more for those who want something a bit special I'd have thought. All the regular lines were still there for the masses when CS came along and are good instruments to do a job. I actually reckon they've done quite a bit in the way of making even more decent affordable instruments for working musicians in recent years with some of the Studios (LP, 335, SG etc), Faded models and so forth. I doubt the CS models were ever designed to be for everyone.

I get that, Scales...what I have never "cotton to", is why Gibson needs a "Custom Shop," to make guitars they way they used

to, in Kalamazoo, during their "heyday" or "golden years," and then charge such a ridiculous "up charge" to do that. A Custom

Shop should make "one of kind," or "special order" (which they do), but not the revamped mainstays of the Gibson line. Gibson

USA, should do that, and be made, with all the care and spec's that the Historic's are! There was no "Custom Shop" in Kalamazoo!

There were Custom orders, made by the same Luthiers, at a reasonable (percentage) up charge, and time frame extension. Yeah, I

know..."that was then, this is now!" But, I don't have to like it! It still rings hollow, and smacks of over the top "Greed,"

to me. [tongue] :unsure:

Well, I've ranted, ad nauseam, on this many times before. And, nothing's changed, except for the worse! [unsure] :mellow:

As to the new models...the good old LP Custom, and SG Custom are the only one's that interest me.

But, that's just Me! :)

So, I'll shut up, now! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Gee, I feel kind of sheepish saying that I have one of the CS336 on order. I dig that it kinda has a 50's LP special vibe to it but in a semi-hollow form.

Have a mojo axe compensated tailpiece on order just in case I want to try that.

I will slip back to the shadows now... :unsure:

1498176291[/url]' post='1863721']

Even if I was still working, and making the kind of money that would allow for ANY CS model purchase,

I simply refuse to pay those astronomical prices, for a guitar! Hell, they might as well just start

charging $100,000 for CS models, and cater to only the fantastically wealthy Rock Stars, billionaires,

and Saudi Princes. 'Cause they've obviously lost touch, totally, with "Working musicians!" Gibson's

Much as I've always loved the product, and as many Gibby's as I own, I'm DONE! [crying][cursing]

IF there are any more Gibson's in my future (doubtful), they'll be "used," and only at reasonable

"Used" prices, at that!

CB

Couldn't agree more. I might get rid of a couple of acoustic guitars for a nice one but other then that I'm done.

Curious.I've checked another four times (just to make sure) and it's always $3999 in my neck of the world.

Right now is a uniquely good time for us Yanks to buy Gibson guitars in England. Just get past the CITES experience if it has a rosewood fretboard. I just scored a hummingbird 12 string at Peach Guitars and saved over $1000 US. 3999 Pound sterling used to be almost double US but not now. Brexit and all that.

It took a month but I have it.

51899021855__9429D428-9E1E-40C4-9375-37B88FB53E7C_zpsl4bpoqo7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF59atfMHK8

Yeah, and it'll be his shout for the next round too...

Ah, sorry, I just need to go to the loo.....

Well the thread wasn't supposed to be about price alone, but what various opinions were about the guitars.

I just felt some of the choices were strange....sometimes it seems tradition gets in the way of practicality......I don't get why for that kind of money there is no ABR-1...?

Apologies, Twang.

I won't mention price again in this thread.

I agree that some of the choices are a bit odd but I have to say I like most of those guitars pictured.

The L-5 Studio is probably the oddball of the bunch. "L-5" and "Studio" are almost contradictory concepts. IMO it doesn't work. Not even close.

I do like the P-90'd 336. Odd colour choices but there's something very appealing about the TV Yellow version.

The fossilised 'burst is rather gorgeous. The Geode is a bit weird. Malachite and Granite are OK but someone should tell the 'Naming Squad' that the mineral malachite is actually a very vibrant green in colour...

The DC is nice. Always was; always will be.

As far as the McCarty t'piece goes; I know what you mean. The ABR-1 was introduced for a very good reason and it seems weird to take a retrograde step. But then again there are many things coming out from Gibson at the moment which are strange...

Pip.

Archived