Gibson Brands Forums

Zero fret nut wrench

Steve HP

Longtime Gibson owner, very disappointed with one tiny omission in my latest purchase. I bought a 2017 HP LP Tribute Satin Gold with gig bag. I love the guitar, I like zero fret nuts. There is NO wrench for the Zero Fret Nut. How could you not include a wrench for a Zero Fret Nut?

I just called customer support and he told me basically to just "Buy one." This is a tool (the cheapest out of all included???) that should be included. I live in the mountains and it's difficult to "Buy one," not to mention, I don't think I should have to "buy one" anymore than I should have to buy a truss rod wrench. Amy I crazy, or is this part literally only 25 cents?

Sorry, rant concluded.

I leased a vehicle one time and the tires didn't have valve stem covers...meh.

Seriously though, when they stopped including hard cases with some of the guitars, I stopped expecting anything to come with the guitar.

I guess you're right. It's still hard to accept. The ultimate humiliation came when I had to buy their "multi-tool" for $33 (with shipping), since my only hardware store doesn't have a hex wrench that small. $33 for something that should be free. Thanks for listening and making me feel a bit better.

I tend to agree with you, but not sure it is always Gibson's fault. It could be that whoever you bought it from took the wrench out of the case? But they do seem inconsistent with what they include with a guitar.

I bought a 2017 Standard from Sweetwater. When I got it there was an instruction manual, a strap, the multi-tool you speak of (in a Velcro pouch handy for other stuff), and even a photo of my guitar on the bench at the Gibson factory being checked out before shipping. Very nice.

Six month later I bought a CS356 that cost twice as much. In the case a warranty card and a COA ?? I couldn't complain because when I looked on the website it says that's all your going to get with a Custom Shop guitar so it came as advertised, but it does seem like they are cheaping out and for a few dollars they could insure your return business instead of this cavalier attitude they seem to have. [thumbdn]

They must have forgotten to include it. I have one in my "accessory kit" I got with mine.

Yes, very small. My hardware store doesn't have one that small. And no it wasn't a mistake, the customer service guy told me they include it in the HP model with the case (standard), but not the one with the gig bag (Tribute).

I guess it's moot, the 2018 models are out and they've completely cut the Tribute HP, they only sell Standard in that configuration now.

Love the instruments, but the company continues to confound me. :-)

Gibson is in a period of financial woe... So they are cutting corners where they can apparently. Saving a few cents across many products they distribute saves them a lot of money. I work in auto industry on supplier side where we develop modules, and saving pennies saves millions. Gibson = guitar giant company, therefore saving pennies saves them a lot. Unfortunately, during this time, making purchases will have these shortcomings come to you, the customer. It makes you feel like as if you can clearly identify where the corners were cut... Sort of makes you think of the actual quality behind the manufacturing of your instrument, doesn't it? Whatever on this... In today's day and age, you question EVERYTHING! From customers' standpoints, when they spend a few thousand on a guitar and don't get low-cost tools to maintain instrument, I do find this somewhat alarming. Before purchase, know what is included and do not imply that you will get something when you buy it because you "feel" it should be there. We apparently all learn this the hard way. Either way, it's only a tool that you inconveniently had to spend money on. Keep this as a lesson to you to ask more questions before putting the money down. I've been "screwed" as you have in the past as well, and I took it as a life lesson. I empathize with you on this if you generally understand my tone here.

Guest Farnsbarns

In the UK every tool, cable, strap and cloth has been removed by the Netherlands distribution centre for years. Before them, the main importer, Rosetti did the same so we don't really expect anything beyond a few hang tags and leaflets. I have never received any tool of any description with any guitar. Even had to buy myself a truss rod wrench when I got my first Gibson.

• 2 months later...

Sometimes Guitar dealers love to pinch a few things out of new guitars. It's a form of Kleptomania I think. I bought a new Advanced Jumbo in 2002 and was surprised that the cool Gibson Acoustic Picks and pick holder were not there. The ultimate rub was that he was selling Gibson Acoustic picks on ebay a few years ago. For $14 a pop. He probably had a jar of them because he was a Gibson Dealer. I was thinking a few years back and contacted Gibson Customer Service, and said that I was disappointed that I didn't get the cool pick with my new Advanced Jumbo. 15 Years Ago!. I gave them my name and the Original Owner info. A few weeks later, in the mail was a packet with one Tortoise Gibson Acoustic Pick, 5 Black Gibson Acoustic picks, and a cool snap shut Leather Gibson Pick Holder. Now THAT is CUSTOMER SERVICE! I have bought three Gibsons since then, and won't ever change. All over a few guitar picks!

I'll add a customer service story.

Many years ago I bought a beautiful 25th Anniversary Les Paul, brand new, from Manny's Music in NYC.

They had a card in the case to fill out and they'd send you a 25th Anniversary belt buckle.

I filled out the card and months went by and nothing so I finally got really ticked off and wrote them a really insulting letter about them being too cheap to send me a 99 cent belt buckle after I just spent a couple of grand buying the guitar (which I loved) but I'm not going to hold my breath as my letter will probably just disappear somewhere into their heartless corporate morass, thanks a lot, you cheapskates

To my surprise, they sent me a really funny letter about how they were so sorry about overlooking my belt buckle because it's hard to look good when you're playing with your pants around your ankles so here it is. The belt buckle actually cost more than the 99 cents that I claimed even if you place an order for several thousand of them at once.

To help make up for it they included a 25th Anniversary key chain which was presented to Les Paul at a dinner. They apologized for misplacing my invitation but that's just how they are. They also thanked me for brightening up an otherwise dismal day at their heartless corporate morass with my letter.

I've been using Gibson electrics exclusively from that point forward.

They're a good company.

Sometimes Guitar dealers love to pinch a few things out of new guitars.

Seems so.. don't it. Then again, sometimes the stores lift the case candy, and it never gets to the end consumer. But it's just as likely, as Steve says, it just was not included. OP never says where it was purchased from btw..

my last Gibson was a SJ200, purchased from sweetwater,, everything that left the factory in the case, arrived at my house still in the case. which included a leather key ring (how did I live with out that!!) and a tool to adjust the anthem pickup. (which I've since ripped out and replaced with a fishman infinity -- the LR Baggs pre-amp module rattled like the 505 heading to Baltimore..)

OTOH,, there was no Truss Wrench, as was the same situation with my SG Standard from 2012. to get an exact one, you would have to order one from some place (Stew Mac?), hardware stores are not going to have these.

Archived