Gibson Brands Forums

What's That Hissing Sound?

dustymars

Surely wish this video was available to me 60 years ago:

This hearing problem is worse than one may think and those IDIOTS that have huge boom-box speakers in their car or pickup, or work in the pits, or play guitars too loudly will in fact experience this soon and it will never go away until death do you part. Yeah, in my younger days I worked on hot rods and race cars, and played loud guitar music, so take heed youngsters; it's too late for us old folks. [unsure]

The first four years I was in a band I never used ear plugs. I got sick of waking up with ringing in my ears so I have worn ear plugs since. I know my hearing isn't 100% but it's still like 80%. If it weren't for the plugs I would imagine the hearing would be pretty bad by now.

Wear your plugs! Practice safe jamming.

The first four years I was in a band I never used ear plugs. I got sick of waking up with ringing in my ears so I have worn ear plugs since. I know my hearing isn't 100% but it's still like 80%. If it weren't for the plugs I would imagine the hearing would be pretty bad by now.

Wear your plugs! Practice safe jamming.

Yeah I concur... This guy I played with a while back - a drummer - would make my eardrums hurt when he hit his super-tight snare head, so that was where I drew the line to put in ear plugs when playing with this guy. Honestly, I was debating quitting if he didn't tone down the snare. He liked to frickin' hit it with everything he had too which made it even more worse. He even had this tall plastic wall which is supposed to help with recording via mic and such, but even that didn't do a damn thing. It sucked to have to use earplugs, but it would be even suckier to not be able to hear... Even when I go to some concerts, I always carry a pair of earplugs these days because sometimes, you are seated where the sound just pummels your eardrums. Much more pleasant to go to a loud A concert with earplugs than without...

I think that at some point in the future there will be a lot of people with hearing problems, walking around all day with headphones/earpieces blasting away is never going to do your hearing any good.

Ian

Surely wish this video was available to me 60 years ago:

This hearing problem is worse than one may think and those IDIOTS that have huge boom-box speakers in their car or pickup, or work in the pits, or play guitars too loudly will in fact experience this soon and it will never go away until death do you part. Yeah, in my younger days I worked on hot rods and race cars, and played loud guitar music, so take heed youngsters; it's too late for us old folks. [unsure]

well we can always shout I s'pose?! ;)

A serious subject which has been aired several times hereon......[unsure]

IMO a lot of it kicked off big time in the 60's with The Who/Hendrix/Cream/Purple/Led Zep and many more going for huge sustain and blast from their 8x12 stacks......[crying]

Add on work machinery, racing cars, motorbikes, headphones etc and the stage is set for tinnitus, hyperacusis and general aural unhappiness.....:blink:

Drummers, bagpipers and orchestral musicians have always been vulnerable to hearing issues

The trouble is when one is inebriated and enjoying some loud music

It is not the time to spoil the party

V

:-({|=

I have a number of medical problems, some of them quite serious but the worst thing is my ear damage!

It drives me nucking futs!

My tinnitus has been described as the "tinnitus from hell” and it’s not the worst aspect by any measure. Menieure’s Disease and BPPV lay me low and make my life a misery when they flare up, but the worst aspect by far is trying to maintain hearing so I can simply communicate. Hearing aid technology is still crap!

I didn’t even have the pleasure of destroying my ears myself.

Please look after your bloody ears guys!

I am lucky, I guess.

Despite what my wife says, I consider my hearing to be exceptional. Especially compared to my peers.

All my life I have been averse to loud anything. I was never attracted to Hi-Fi systems. Locomotive Breath LOUD through Bose 601's was fun for about one verse. When disco became popular, I went elsewhere. I walked out of an outdoor James Taylor concert in 1980 when the electric set began due to the loud volume. When a truck or bus engine is next to me in traffic, I shut the windows of the car and try to move away. I have attended only a small handful of rock concerts in my time for a few reasons: I lived in areas that were far from the venues, plus, I find high volume of anything physically unpleasant.

I play electric rock weekly with some guys, but I am the most vocal proponent to keeping the room volume under control.

Pain exists to warn us to move away from that which causes the pain.

Then I see people like my mom who was never exposed to loud noises. Baby sat kids inside her house since I was a toddler till she hit her 80's. She can't hear worth crap, then my wife's mom too had an inside office job her whole life at an insurance building. She's worse then my mom. So just age itself nails you and then all the things you did younger like Racing, Playing loud, going to loud concerts etc, just hits you at a younger age! It's inevitable and it will hit you and it's not reversible. There is no cure.

I just hope yuz younger types wear ear protection when playing the axe, especially in a band. It really drives us nuts after awhile, even if crazy beforehand :)

I try to listen to some of the web c=sound tracks for tinnitus, but haven't found the magic brew yet.

I suffer from tinnitus, which is full time and gets louder when I get stressed. I get stressed by the tinnitus, so it's not a great situation. Hearing aids to lift certain frequencies helps, but not all the time. Mine is a constant high pitched tone and can be very invasive. I have numerous counselling sessions, which also helped.

Archived