Gibson Brands Forums

it's that time of year again...

american cheez

I've had bikes all my life, but there have been breaks along the way, mostly depending on finances. In 2011 I bought a 2000 Harley Sportster 883 with 7700 miles on it. 7 years later it has about 8100 miles on it. It's a nice looking bike, and I always wanted a Harley (or so I thought). Having said that, I've learned they make enough noise to wake the dead, they try very hard to break my spine at every crease in the road, and they maneuver like a bread truck.

I wish I could turn back the clock and go back to my days riding CB750s and KZ900s. I suppose I could, but the vintage market on bikes is no different than guitars. Once something is deemed vintage, the price quadruples and never comes back down.

380984_291077037599846_667654062_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=35173eedebf685e60a8f008d14f4bfea&oe=5B6D84F5

The only bikes I ever had were Bicycles. HA, msp_flapper.gif My son has had a few but sold them all because here in Omaha the streets look like the surface of the moon, We don't have pot holes, we have craters everywhere and they don't seem to fix them.

I'm in CoCal so can ride year round. Almost have to. I live 45 miles from work and 40 of it is on the 101 so lane splitting, especially on Thursday and Friday afternoons, is a Godsend. Current ride is a Vstar 1300.

Bronx

Started out riding a 305 Superhawk in '69 at age 18. Didn't own a car for the next ten years. Had a string of mid-size bikes, because for me it was all about the twisty road. Worked at Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Harley shops along the way.

But after moving to Oregon, I simply got tired of being cold and/or wet.

Now I drive around much of the time in short-sleeves, open the windows & sunroof, and feel the breeze. If it starts getting too cold, on comes the heater!

I've had bikes all my life, but there have been breaks along the way, mostly depending on finances. In 2011 I bought a 2000 Harley Sportster 883 with 7700 miles on it. 7 years later it has about 8100 miles on it. It's a nice looking bike, and I always wanted a Harley (or so I thought). Having said that, I've learned they make enough noise to wake the dead, they try very hard to break my spine at every crease in the road, and they maneuver like a bread truck.

I wish I could turn back the clock and go back to my days riding CB750s and KZ900s. I suppose I could, but the vintage market on bikes is no different than guitars. Once something is deemed vintage, the price quadruples and never comes back down.

380984_291077037599846_667654062_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=35173eedebf685e60a8f008d14f4bfea&oe=5B6D84F5

there are some really cool sport standards out there these days. maybe look into them? with a reasonable down payment you could have a $100/month payment. that's way doable for alot of folks.

Started out riding a 305 Superhawk in '69 at age 18. Didn't own a car for the next ten years. Had a string of mid-size bikes, because for me it was all about the twisty road. Worked at Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Harley shops along the way.

But after moving to Oregon, I simply got tired of being cold and/or wet.

Now I drive around much of the time in short-sleeves, open the windows & sunroof, and feel the breeze. If it starts getting too cold, on comes the heater!

oh i totally get that. i don't ride in crappy weather either. i no longer have anything to prove. besides, it may be a hyundai, but my car does have a cool stereo. a stereo on a bike is something i do not want.

2003 Harley Road King.

I live in North Carolina about 20 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway...An incredible place to ride!

Try to ride all year long but when it gets too cold, it stays in the garage.

12uYfxE.jpg?1

2003 Harley Road King.

I live in North Carolina about 20 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway...An incredible place to ride!

that roadking is sweet!

that's probably my favorite place to ride that i've ever been to! i spent 9 days doing that and riding tail of the dragon back in 2003. the best vacation i ever had in my life! back then, i was riding this

yIH41NI.jpg

when I was younger & crazier I rode all year. we have a wood pellet stove in our house. i'll buy a ton of pellets and stack them in my garage. once the pellets are gone it's time to ride lol. I can roll my bike out.

I rode motorcycles for 37 years and had a variety of bikes from Triumph (2), BSA, Norton, Honda (2), Suzuki (2) and Harley Davidson (2). My last bike, which I had for 10 years, was my favorite. It was a 1995 Harley Dyna Convertible and I sure miss her. I had to quit riding in 2005 due to a disability and want to tell you guys to love it while you can. Well I guess I don't really need to tell you that. msp_smile.gif

FbR0pGf.jpg

I ride an '01 Heritage Softail but it's in my shop ready for the springtime super clean. Didn't realize how filthy she was. Always remember the words my father gave me many yrs ago when I got my 1st bike, " If you ever think you know how to ride one, it' time to get rid of it " And I promised my mother {who was an RN} that I'd always wear a helmet. Not doing to bad, 65 and only been down once.{STUPID DEER] Right now it's 35 degrees and blowing snow, hurry spring!!!

ps: nice looking bike cheez.

the times, they are a chaaaaangin'....

cruisers, bikes in general don't sell like they used to. all manufacturers are pairing down their lines. props to harley though, they have made some pretty positive changes in the last decade or so. i don't know if this is one of those changes or not, but they aren't quite the stodgy old outfit they once were.

[thumbup]

the times, they are a chaaaaangin'....

cruisers, bikes in general don't sell like they used to. all manufacturers are pairing down their lines. props to harley though, they have made some pretty positive changes in the last decade or so. i don't know if this is one of those changes or not, but they aren't quite the stodgy old outfit they once were.

[thumbup]

Agreed... Harley has made some good changes. I hope the young guys/gals enjoy that Harley sound and feel as much as many of us older riders did/do.

Archived