Gibson Brands Forums

When was the last time you oiled your fret board/had your fret board oiled?

LWAG

Playing it felt like I'd get a splinter. After I oiled it twice, it felt like playing rosewood and not, I dunno, paper or something.

Ok then! Felt better is good enough for me, I'll take that as more alive.

rct

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok then! Felt better is good enough for me, I'll take that as more alive.

rct

Granted, it was an extreme case. For the most part, I think it's snake oil, particularly if you like somewhere with a sane climate. But the winters here get super dry and very cold.

Ha ha - the world will end before there's consensus on this topic :D

Ive just finished oiling six guitars.. But im going to show them to a bunch of guitar nerds on the weekend so I wanted them to look their best. Plus some of them are several years old now and actually needed it... So I decided to take a couple of pics to show why I like the freshly oiled look.

A rosewood one

xBUZ52c.jpg

BxksQYu.jpg?1

k3ARYRF.jpg

lxiq2Ro.jpg

And an ebony one

skCXJoO.jpg

5jNIDRi.jpg

DQgLEZY.jpg

b7WNDre.jpg?1

So there O:)

Ive just finished oiling six guitars.. But im going to show them to a bunch of guitar nerds on the weekend so I wanted them to look their best. Plus some of them are several years old now and actually needed it... So I decided to take a couple of pics to show why I like the freshly oiled look.

A rosewood one

xBUZ52c.jpg

BxksQYu.jpg?1

k3ARYRF.jpg

lxiq2Ro.jpg

And an ebony one

skCXJoO.jpg

5jNIDRi.jpg

DQgLEZY.jpg

b7WNDre.jpg?1

So there O:)

Ha ha. There you go.

Ok Rabs....I'm really with RCT as they don't need it but all you guys talked me into it. Because Grayson, our 3 year old grandson wanted to help clean my guitars I tore down 6 and cleaned and oiled them showing him how to do it and explaining each part of the guitar to him and the names of each, This kid learns very fast. So we started with my Gibson and afterwards, he wanted to strum it. I taught him up and down strumming so while he did that, I played the chords and together we played House of the Rising Sun. The smile on his face was Priceless!rolleyes.gif

Ok Rabs....I'm really with RCT as they don't need it but all you guys talked me into it. Because Grayson, our 3 year old grandson wanted to help clean my guitars I tore down 6 and cleaned and oiled them showing him how to do it and explaining each part of the guitar to him and the names of each, This kid learns very fast. So we started with my Gibson and afterwards, he wanted to strum it. I taught him up and down strumming so while he did that, I played the chords and together we played House of the Rising Sun. The smile on his face was Priceless!rolleyes.gif

Butch you'll always be Herman to me

4H

How are the winters were you live? Keep in mind that if you live somewhere that doesn't get super dry and/or cold seasons, don't overdo it. If you're somewhere with no dips below 40 RH at any time, I wouldn't oil more than maybe once every five years or so. If that.

What does "...came back to life" mean? It's a slab of wood that I mash strings into, in almost 50 years of playing I've never had a "lively" or "back to life" fingerboard. So here is where it is, what exactly is the benefit of bringing a fingerboard "back to life"? What does it do for me at 11:25 on a Saturday night in the middle of Foot Stompin Music? Seriously.

If it means it "looks better to me" say that, if something else, please explain it.

I haven't wound a string since the mid 70's. The Knot was briefly covered in the only guitar magazine of the time, and I've put every string on every guitar that way since.

Knotting the strings as opposed to all that senseless winding makes the guitar sound more alive.

Now, watch them come out of the woodwork and scream at me.

You see what I'm saying here?

rct

OK now.....what kind of knot do I make here... square knot, half hitch? 8-[

The only thing I've ever used is Gibson polish, but y'all got me thinking I should every string change or so...

I think once annually if the winters get very dry is (probably more than) enough. You read these horror stories online where kids (they're usually kids) oil their fretboards once a month...

I would once again like to recommend Gorgomyte (no, I'm not affiliated with them). I see no reason at all to do the steel wool stuff if you don't have to. I believe their client roster speaks volumes.

It's a cloth that you cut into small squares, that gets the dirt and grime out with no residue. Www.gorgomyte.com. Any questions, just e-mail the guy and he'll get back to you in no time.

It's cheap too, and a cloth lasts a long time. Great stuff, and no need for steel wool, taping off pickups etc.

Re the above, I meant it as a substitue for the steel wool method, not a substitute for fretboard oil, although it supposedly conditions as well. I use it to deep clean before oiling.

I particularly like to use it since Dunlop Lemon Oil leaves "an invisible protective sheen"... which I kind of like. So I get residue pile-up out with Gorgomyte.

Works for me.

My main point: whether you're an obsessive oiler or never oil your fretboard, this stuff is THE product for cleaning your fretboard.

Archived