Gibson Brands Forums

My Flatpicking Idol

jedzep

What more could you ask?

She's scary good, and has been since she was about 12 years old.

I love the way she palm-mutes the strings she isn't playing in her lead runs. Come to think of it, I pretty much love everything about her.

No drunks, no sea of cell phones or morons holding mid-song conversations, plus support for the waning interest in libraries and reading. Sounds great already.

I was thinking same thing, sounds like a terrific venue for a songwriter or acoustic performer. Or any musician who likes to have people just listen!

Well, just returned from seeing Molly in the small venue with fiddle, banjo and stand up bass, which I can't describe well enough except to say it was dazzling. She used a capo all night and I'd love to figure out what it is. This vid shows the capo but you can't see much but for how low the profile is on the fingerboard. It adjusted so easily with a knurled thumb screw from behind. Can anyone figure out what it is. G7th maybe? I should have asked her afterwards at the merch table but I was afraid I'd blurt out something sad and pitiful like a marriage proposal.

I thought her burst topped Martin didn't handle the hard strumming with clarity but it sang like a bird when she picked individual notes. I was super lucky to be able to sit at the mixing board with my nephew who was working for the sound guy tonight.

I'll look around at other vids for a capo that looks like the one she used.

Short report on the Paige capo...low profile, narrow contact point with the strings, and minimal tone muting, if any. That straight-on adjustment from behind just makes sense for maintaining intonation. Love it for 17 bucks w/ free ship at Sweetwater.

Archived