Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

NighthawkChris

Here's my new amp. Picked it up from a local Reverb seller.

0Q07sAG.jpg

It's a special edition of this amp being that it is in a different color scheme. I searched for "fillmore 50 emerald bronco" and this is the amp in the pic I shared. Either way, great pickup IMHO. It was presented with a deal I couldn't refuse. But overall, this amp is pretty versatile. I'm not here to sell anyone on it, but I'd say that they are worth a look. But regarding Mesa Boogie, I think that they are a great amp company overall. They make some high-quality stuff. I was impressed with what they had to offer. Anyhow, thanks for checking out my new amp msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks all for taking a peek at this thing and leaving a comment, much appreciated. Anyhow, I wanted to post about this amp because I was surprised by what this thing had to offer and I think that a lot of guys who like that "Fendery" clean sound might find this amp a little interesting. I remember trying this out at the store - a 50W head going into a 1x12 Mesa Fillmore cab - and I thought it sounded like a nice Fender amp honestly. Either way, that's what got me sold on this thing was the clean channel.

I was browsing on Reverb and noticed someone who wasn't too far down the road was selling this... It was priced pretty attractively compared to what the listing price is for a brand new one. And these amps are relatively new, so not too much used out there right now as far as what I saw in ads and listings. So, I messaged the Reverb seller running this listing and he said we could work out the deal in-person. I later stopped over and tried it out at his place. Pretty much what I remembered this thing sounding like when I was in the store trying out the 50W head version of this amp was what I was hearing coming out of his amp. I agreed to do the purchase, shook hands, and left with the amp!

TBH, I actually preferred the combo version as opposed to the head-cab split option. Not that there is any real major differences in the amp between the head or combo, but I was looking for a consolidated package - just plug in the power cord and you are ready to plug your guitar in to start playing without too much fuss. I don't go crazy with pedals or any of that mess, so I like it when I can use an amp's internal reverb and distortion/OD. And of course if I wanted to extend the amp output to a cab, I could choose to do so later with the speaker outs on the back of the amp for a little more fullness and volume. Yeah, I will have to lug around the combo speaker everywhere the amp goes given I want to drive a cab, but hey, there are trade-offs in life. But the stock speaker will do me more than fine for the gigs I play at - and definitely works well for rehearsals. I don't see myself worrying about getting a cab for a long time if ever.

I know that the 50W version came out first and the 25W came out next which some people really wanted more. They are slightly different in that the power amp tubes are different I believe. Probably some other differences, but I haven't done an A-B comparison. I simply was looking for the 50W version in one fashion or another. But the 25W shouldn't make someone want the 50W that much more, because if they think it will be much louder, theoretically the 50W should only be 3dB louder... If the 25W amp drives a cab, it should be plenty loud if the speakers are good.

Overall, good buy and worth the time to give a look over IMHO. Not necessarily an inexpensive amp, but Mesa amps are usually known to be a bit costly. IMHO, Mesa makes some pretty quality stuff, so if you're spending a bit on something with them, you're probably going to get something that will last a long time and work well throughout. A lot of Mesa owners that post online have only good things to say about this company. I can see why. Their amps are well-made, attentive to detail, and bottom-line, they do what they are designed to do very well. Not that they are the only amp company out there that makes killer stuff, but I have to put Mesa up near the top.

I like mesa myself. I had a studio 22 once but my current and only amp is a dc2. It cranks for only 22 watts. It is all I need since I do not gig anymore. It is easy to drag around if you have to as well. I just rehauled all of the tubes in it. Has a couple of scratchy pots though. My only beef is the reverb is not very strong but I have a reverb pedal to make up for the thin reverb on the amp. Congrats on yours and I bet it sounds nice too!!

Mesa does make some very versatile amps. I have a Lone Star Special 1X12 and it does everything I need a tube amp to do. The only other amp I feel like I need is a little Line 6 modeling amp that records straight into the computer and has half a billion searchable tones you can program in.

Huge fan of Mesa, This Blue Angel was my workhouse for the final years of my bar gigging electric days before going acoustic. It's got a British Mullard for a rectifier, nos 12AX7's, 6V6's and El84's and is a KILLER. Notice the Blue Angel has no gain, just a volume knob. Crank it, baby. Someday I'll have to let it go I guess.

Congrats on a fine rig that will outlive you.

EpcVY9q.jpg?1

Nice catch, indeed! Congratulations.

I've had the original version of the Express 5:50 combo 1x12 (which has been discontinued) for around ten years, and I use it every day. Bright, clear, pretty cleans (and that comes through with pedals in fx)... plus, I really like the the sound of its distortion options.

Thanks all! It seems like you really can't go wrong with Mesa the word on the street says. It's good to hear that there are more happy people with their Mesa amps. I know I definitely enjoy playing my guitars through this new amp. I tried my single coil Fenders (Strat and Tele) and my Gibsons (LPs with humbuckers and P90s), and they all sound great with the amp. Here is a link to a Mesa demonstration video on the Fillmore 50 I viewed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tAOrZFCC5E

• 2 weeks later...

Archived