Gibson Brands Forums

Still in love with my Maple AJ, nearly a year on

Jinder

This guitar just DOES IT. So powerful yet never harsh, capable of cutting rhythm, delicate fingerstyle, throaty lead or absolutely on-the-money flatpicking.

It's a guitar I never get tired of. My only guitar which wears 13s, but the action is spot on and it plays beautifully evenly all over the neck.

It's an astonishingly good combination with the Sunrise pickup I have in it (formerly the property of Buc McMaster of this very forum, of course!), and coupled with my Boss AD10 the plugged in tone is just wonderful. Very dynamic and adaptable to changes in right hand attack.

I was playing an instrumental set at a friend's wedding this afternoon and took the AJ and my '30s round neck fiddle edge Dobro (with which I use a magnificent Krivo mag pickup, very sensitive and microphonic...sounds EXACTLY like the Dobro itself), and the palette of sounds available to me from those two guitars was outstanding. The AJ took me from biting blues all the way out to buttery jazz, and the Dobro, with some delay and reverb, took me way, way out into the waters of shimmering, keening, almost mystical experimental music.

My new album (nearly 2/3rds done) is an absolute playground of Gibson goodness, but the AJ made the cut more than most. Such an honour to own and play an instrument of that calibre.

• Like 1

Thanks all! New music with the AJ in tow will be coming soon, I don't have anything online yet with it, but it won't be long.

I've really had fun with guitar tracking on the new record, my Hummingbird 12 string has starred on most of it, with the SJ200, AJ and J180 close behind. The '41 Reissue SJ100 and '67 J45 are in there too, but it's largely been a Maplefest as far as the 6 strings go. I'm endlessly surprised by how well the J180 records, it just goes down to tape (and the digital version of!) Like butter onto warm toast, no EQ, no compression, perhaps a little sprinkle of reverb and it's a done deal. Amazingly balanced guitar!

Well if it sounds like this one then its a real damn good sounding guitar, all round. Reminds me of my Dove, but with that Gibson slope balance.

It sure put a big smile on the bloke reviewing it, more than other guitars, and Ive seen him review quite a few.

I really am fond of Gibson large maples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7ltaoHdf4

This guitar just DOES IT. So powerful yet never harsh, capable of cutting rhythm, delicate fingerstyle, throaty lead or absolutely on-the-money flatpicking.

It's a guitar I never get tired of. My only guitar which wears 13s, but the action is spot on and it plays beautifully evenly all over the neck.

It's an astonishingly good combination with the Sunrise pickup I have in it (formerly the property of Buc McMaster of this very forum, of course!), and coupled with my Boss AD10 the plugged in tone is just wonderful. Very dynamic and adaptable to changes in right hand attack.

I was playing an instrumental set at a friend's wedding this afternoon and took the AJ and my '30s round neck fiddle edge Dobro (with which I use a magnificent Krivo mag pickup, very sensitive and microphonic...sounds EXACTLY like the Dobro itself), and the palette of sounds available to me from those two guitars was outstanding. The AJ took me from biting blues all the way out to buttery jazz, and the Dobro, with some delay and reverb, took me way, way out into the waters of shimmering, keening, almost mystical experimental music.

My new album (nearly 2/3rds done) is an absolute playground of Gibson goodness, but the AJ made the cut more than most. Such an honour to own and play an instrument of that calibre.

Hey Jinder - just wondering, on your albums do you call out the instruments used by song?

Yeah, maple is kind of special.  Years ago I avoided it because I associated it with brightness and the sound often attributed to Taylors.  However, my Dove is a very balanced-sounding guitar and since its a Gibson, I don't have to wear a toga while playing it.😝

Hello Jinder,

It's been a few years since I last stepped (virtual) foot in this place. Not sure if you'll remember this (or me), but I landed a maple AJ a bit over seven years ago. I still have that guitar and I haven't bought or traded for another guitar since. I bring this up because when I wrote about the guitar here on the forum you made some comments in your post on that thread that seem worth repeating at this point in time.

On 2/13/2012 at 2:23 AM, Jinder said:

With regard to Maple (and AJs) I played an SJ200 for many years and have since moved to my AJ, and I find both have similar characteristics, which no doubt is brought out even more when twinned with Maple (mine is Rosewood).

On 2/13/2012 at 2:23 AM, Jinder said:

One thing I've learned is that AJs are a bit of a finnicky guitar-they need the right strings and the right playing technique, but when the stars are in alignment there's nothing on earth that sounds like an AJ...pure liquid magic.

I'm glad to learn that the stars were in alignment when you landed a maple AJ of your own. 

All the best,
Guth

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Walking Nick is still floating around on the internet- 'just gave it a listen.

Nice of you to check in.

Thanks 'burst. Funny I was just thinking about Nick yesterday as I so often do since we have a photo of him hanging up in our house. Man I miss that dog.

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Been somewhat relieving to see the black banner go - thought about mentioning it a couple of days ago, but forgot. 

Not out of the woods by any means, but appreciate the mention.

ca2NXAb.jpg?1

Edited by 62burst

On 5/25/2019 at 1:15 AM, Guth said:

Hello Jinder,

It's been a few years since I last stepped (virtual) foot in this place. Not sure if you'll remember this (or me), but I landed a maple AJ a bit over seven years ago. I still have that guitar and I haven't bought or traded for another guitar since. I bring this up because when I wrote about the guitar here on the forum you made some comments in your post on that thread that seem worth repeating at this point in time.

I'm glad to learn that the stars were in alignment when you landed a maple AJ of your own. 

All the best,
Guth

Hey Guth! Great to see you back here. I remember you mentioning your maple AJ, excellent to hear it's still in the nest.

I searched for one for a long time, I played one in Glasgow in 2016, missed out on it, tracked another one down in Paris but it sold before I could land it, then found a secondhand example in Ireland which also sold more rapidly than I could move on it. Mine came from Wildwood in Colorado, the last of that run (the Custom Shop run of 64 AJ Flame Deluxe guitars) that I could find anywhere on the planet...I was asked to play a wedding in CO and was given a budget to buy a guitar as payment, so was thrilled to find the AJ in the right place at the right time. The stars aligned, as you said! 

It's an endlessly great guitar. Huge dynamic range, warm and punchy, never shrill in the way that Maple can sometimes be. Love it!

30 minutes ago, Jinder said:

Hey Guth! Great to see you back here. I remember you mentioning your maple AJ, excellent to hear it's still in the nest.

I searched for one for a long time, I played one in Glasgow in 2016, missed out on it, tracked another one down in Paris but it sold before I could land it, then found a secondhand example in Ireland which also sold more rapidly than I could move on it. Mine came from Wildwood in Colorado, the last of that run (the Custom Shop run of 64 AJ Flame Deluxe guitars) that I could find anywhere on the planet...I was asked to play a wedding in CO and was given a budget to buy a guitar as payment, so was thrilled to find the AJ in the right place at the right time. The stars aligned, as you said! 

It's an endlessly great guitar. Huge dynamic range, warm and punchy, never shrill in the way that Maple can sometimes be. Love it!

There was another one - I have ordered a "Gibson Advanced Jumbo Deluxe Limited Edition (1 of 65)" last Saturday from a music store in Berlin, reasonable price. As far as I undestand this could be from the run of Jinder´s guitar. After Jinder has started this thread I just entered "Gibson Advanced Jumbo Maple" to Google and found the guitar I have ordered now. I had no chance to see or play it up to now, but I hope it will be fine. Have no serial number, only an order confirmation. It´s a hard time to wait for the delivery ....  

Will come back as soon as I have the intrument in my hands.

3 hours ago, docr said:

There was another one - I have ordered a "Gibson Advanced Jumbo Deluxe Limited Edition (1 of 65)" last Saturday from a music store in Berlin, reasonable price. As far as I undestand this could be from the run of Jinder´s guitar. After Jinder has started this thread I just entered "Gibson Advanced Jumbo Maple" to Google and found the guitar I have ordered now. I had no chance to see or play it up to now, but I hope it will be fine. Have no serial number, only an order confirmation. It´s a hard time to wait for the delivery ....  

Will come back as soon as I have the intrument in my hands.

Very interesting!! Yours should be a 2016 build if it's from the same run as mine, and will be listed as an Advanced Jumbo Flame Deluxe. You'll love it!!

It is here - "Advanced Jumbo Deluxe Custom Shop" - serial number 10426012 - a "Certificate of Authenticity" is in the case.

The guitar is in very good conditions, some small traces of playing, seems that it was in a showroom and the colour of the top looks as if it has seen some daylight over a longer period. Had no chance to play it longer  just a visual check. Neck is ok, playability from the first few chords, too. It was shipped with new strings and an inspection checklist of the store.

Maple AJs seem not to be the most preferred guitars in this store, the original price tag hanging at the case shows 550€ more than I have payed. So we have a very exclusive Instrument  [biggrin]

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, docr said:

It is here - "Advanced Jumbo Deluxe Custom Shop" - serial number 10426012 - a "Certificate of Authenticity" is in the case.

The guitar is in very good conditions, some small traces of playing, seems that it was in a showroom and the colour of the top looks as if it has seen some daylight over a longer period. Had no chance to play it longer  just a visual check. Neck is ok, playability from the first few chords, too. It was shipped with new strings and an inspection checklist of the store.

Maple AJs seem not to be the most preferred guitars in this store, the original price tag hanging at the case shows 550€ more than I have payed. So we have a very exclusive Instrument  [biggrin]

Welcome to the club!! You'll love it...hope you get the chance to have more of a play with it soon!