Gibson Brands Forums

A favour to ask

Rabs

Hello all..

I don't normally do this sort of thing but would really appreciate some help..

As a lot of you know ive been working for a timber supplier..  Its going well but I have just started a Facebook page for us..  I would really appreciate it if a few of you could go on the page and give us a like or a share or something.. It would really help give it a kick start 👍

And theres some LOVELY pictures of wood on there (all taken by me  🙂

Anyway.. As I say it would be cool if some of you want to.. But I don't want to take the micky here or anything. So as you like   🙂

Cheers,

https://www.facebook.com/Saunders-Seasonings-Hardwoods-340466103521956/

Rabs.

Done.

I was a bit surprised as I've never actually used f'book (long, boring story) and haven't accessed my f'book page for about 7 years but, astonishingly, it was still active...

Best of good fortune with the project, Rabs!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Just now, pippy said:

Done.

I was a bit surprised as I've never actually used f'book (long, boring story) and haven't accessed my f'book page for about 7 years but, astonishingly, it was still active...

Best of good fortune with the project, Rabs!

[thumbup]

Pip.

Thank you sir..  Yeah my boss was the same.. I got him to log on to check the page out and apparently he was instantly contacted by loads of people  🙂  Bloody Facebook.. I hate it really but its a necessary evil these days for a small business.. 

I am going to try my best to make London Plane in to a recognised guitar wood  😄

This stuff.. I am convinced it will make an excellent and pretty guitar body...

pjjObmJ.jpg

👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I am going to try my best to make London Plane in to a recognised guitar wood  😄

This stuff.. I am convinced it will make an excellent and pretty guitar body...

Good for you!

It looks very much like Lacewood (or whatever it's called) to my untrained eye and I'm sure it can be turned in to a spectacular guitar.

Not really wanting to come over all 'commercial' but using locally-sourced wood will be a VERY good selling point in the market-place for the young adults of today (and any offspring they, in turn, might have) because the upcoming generation are clearly far more up to speed on the needs for sustainability than any previous generation.

[thumbup]

Pip.

Edited by pippy

2 minutes ago, pippy said:

Good for you!

It looks very much like Lacewood (or whatever it's called) to my untrained eye and I'm sure it can be turned in to a spectacular guitar.

Not really wanting to come over all 'commercial' but using locally-sourced wood will be a VERY good selling point in the market-place for the young adults of today (and any offspring they, in turn, might have) because the upcoming generation are clearly far more up to speed on the needs for sustainability than any previous generation.

[thumbup]

Pip.

Ha, that's funny. When he first asked me what I thought it was I said Lacewood too..  Apparently a lot of trees have Lace in them if you cut them right... That's just a term for that type of figure rather than the wood species itself.

But technically, its about 940 on the janka hardness scale which puts it in the middle of Genuine Mahogany and Maple (and makes it strong enough for a neck). SO if there is anything to the denseness of the wood making a difference to the tone, it should be in the middle somewhere between the two. Which could end up sounding muddy maybe, who knows (in which case a maple top would be a good thing).

And yes.  A lot of the wood he gets he got from the HS2 contract. So wherever they demolish to build the new line, he gets the trees from that..  All of the London Plane we have came from St James Gardens outside Euston Station.. Now while that is a cool thing to promote and that our wood has a low carbon footprint, a lot of people have big issues with the whole HS2 project (deservedly to be honest).. So its a good and bad thing we have here  🙂

25 minutes ago, kidblast said:

piece of cake Rabs..

Done!

15 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Done.  Those are some very nice pieces of wood.   

Thank you both for that... Im sure it will help get things moving along...  Heres hoping👍

9 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Congratulations on getting work Rabs - must feel good.

What do you do there aside from photography/Facebook?

Yes..  After one of the worst years of my life and loosing two people very close to me, its been nice to get back out in to the world a bit more.. I was being rather insular to say the least..  This has been a welcome and needed change to my life.

As for what I do.. Well my main job is meant to be sales/marketing (so taking pictures and sticking them on Ebay).. But I do whatever is needed.. Made some shelving last week with this lovely Pippy Oak

YYEWIoS.jpg

0EBmbdy.jpg

Today we went down to the farm where he keeps all the logs and cut timber which air dries and he has a kiln too.. Check out this Hard Brown (country) Maple we picked up today

JkrR9sc.jpg

yY2d6wL.jpg

And then we make tables too... 

So I have to turn these

PAOLh8s.jpg

CyzzwEX.jpg

Into these

riW6opt.jpg?1

HMqFhXT.jpg

JAAjOUz.jpg

And then into one table like this

E4Nli2A.jpg

xPJUxXa.jpg

2y3YdVN.jpg

So all sorts of things.. Its cool  🙂

Check this out.. Not cos its an interesting video but I have a new phone (pixel 3) and did my first video test today... Im impressed with the quality.. If you watch it at 1080p it looks amazing...

19 minutes ago, brad1 said:

I would, but I do not facebook. Except when I am reading......a book. [biggrin]

Well thanks for the thought anyway  🙂  I am only on there as a business...   And its mostly just annoying.

14 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Consider yourself liked.  

Wow thank you and everyone..  The support offered on here is always appreciated and goes to show while this place is not so busy any more is still a great place to hang 👍

I think I am starting to feel some of your enthusiasm for wood. I'm sure the feel and smell of the timber would add to that. 

I cant say I have ever knowingly come across anything made from London Plane. I've just had a look and discovered London Plane is a hybrid of American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) and Oriental Plane (P. orientalis).

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I think I am starting to feel some of your enthusiasm for wood. I'm sure the feel and smell of the timber would add to that. 

I cant say I have ever knowingly come across anything made from London Plane. I've just had a look and discovered London Plane is a hybrid of American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) and Oriental Plane (P. orientalis).

Yeah I love it... Mind you with me its because all I see when I look at the wood is guitar bodies and necks  😄  But some of it is so beautiful, I cant understand why someone wouldn't like it.

Some new stock in 

Flamed Sycamore (pretty much just like maple)

omfXHxI.jpg

OyMYQSa.jpg

This is just lovely.. A bit of live edge Norway Maple (you guys know its as Brown or Country Maple)

izjNCh7.jpg

vvJf2vo.jpg

And the straight cut Norway Maple

4EbsYMq.jpg

• Like 1