Gibson Brands Forums

Discolouration

GStrachan

Thanks kidblast, I’ll post it in acoustic too.

I don’t keep anything nasty in the case, just a capo & and a few plectrums!

As I said the inlay has had this yellow tinge to it since I bought it new so maybe it’s been something it came into contact with at the dealers, unfortunately they went bust so no chance of getting in contact with them now!

2 hours ago, GStrachan said:

Thanks kidblast, I’ll post it in acoustic too.

I don’t keep anything nasty in the case, just a capo & and a few plectrums!

As I said the inlay has had this yellow tinge to it since I bought it new so maybe it’s been something it came into contact with at the dealers, unfortunately they went bust so no chance of getting in contact with them now!

Sometimes, it's just the materials in the case, or some people have even citing the glue that's used inside the case too.  There are people on this forum and tend to dwell in the acoustic forum that are far more knowledgeable about the causes

I'll follow this in the other forum!!

6 hours ago, GStrachan said:

Hi guys, I’ve just noticed some discolouration  on my SJ-200. The inlay has always had this strange tinge to it since new but it suddenly seems to be spreading! Anybody ever seen anything like this before?

C9D7697D-B2A0-4629-AFBC-27EA8DE90F4A.jpeg

6F0B7826-02BA-4F69-AF6A-8095AE853CCB.jpeg

Do you ever “store” a tuner on the head stock?

• 2 weeks later...

Appears like an impression on the head stock. Is there something on the upper portion of the case that is laying on top of the head stock when being stored?

That appears to be a shadow on the head plate or maybe it's a photography quirk.

The darker shade in the form of a trapezoid is pretty strange,

It sounds like the OP is the original owner? If so, I'd definitely get Gibson's opinion in this situation.

H

On 7/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, Larsongs said:

Are you a Smoker?

I've been told that the yellowing of Guitars is partly caused by smoke filled environments. I don't know if that's true but.....

i think yours looks Cool!

I was going to ask whether the guitar was a smoker. 

Yes I have seen this on older guitars though less localised. I also think it looks pretty good.

2 hours ago, Harmonics101 said:

What is the color of the padding inside the guitar case? 

I've read there can be some bleeding sometime, but just in one area seems unlikely.

H

Acgually the early 90s pink lined case with the pink dust cover stained a few of mine