Gibson Brands Forums

Gram Parsons' Dove (w/The Byrds 1968)

gearbasher

Here's a photo of The Byrds at the Ryman Auditorium in 1968. Check out Gram Parsons' Dove. Set up like a J-160e. Was it a standard model? Custom? I never saw one before. And, after seeing this photo, I've searched and can't come up with another.

gettyimages-74219185.jpg?w=3043&h=1800

Edited by gearbasher

2 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Here's a photo of The Byrds at the Ryman Auditorium in 1968. Check out Gram Parsons' Dove. Set up like a J-160e. Was it a standard model? Custom? I never saw one before. And, after seeing this photo, I've searched and can't come up with another.

gettyimages-74219185.jpg?w=3043&h=1800

I think that is Roger McGuinn playing the Dove. From l-r I believe it's Kevin Kelley,Gram,Roger and Chris Hillman.They performed Merle Haggard's "Sing Me Back Home" and Gram's "Hickory Wind" and were heckled and booed. Interesting mod on the Dove.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, there is a well known and oft published series  of photos from 1968 which show that Dove being played by Gram , Keef and Taj Mahal.  That guitar with its P90 pickup has been discussed here before with many believing it was a custom order as that model was never commercially available.   According to legend, Chris Hillman was so fed up with Gram being late for or missing rehearsals that he smashed one of his guitars. 

Great picture of Keith Richards with Gram ...Keith`s looking for  a Stone unturned ...or a lost hit of smack .

Gibson sure did put out custom orders back then with out a doubt . The control knobs don`t look period correct but ....they appear to be off an electric Gibson.

I bet it sounded great ...is it known to be on a particular recording ? 

5 hours ago, Murph said:

I'll be darned. It did happen.

Nashville eventually came around.

They booed Dylan at the Newport folk festival in 1965 when he played "Maggie's Farm" and "Like a Rolling Stone", with a Strat around his neck and Kooper and Butterfield backing him up.

We all got over that pretty quickly. The times, they were a-changing.

Edited by j45nick
fix spelling error

• 4 years later...
On 11/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, SilverSun said:

Hillman smashed his Epiphone Frontier - the Gibson Dive with J-160e appointments was given to Ric Grech (who produced G.P.). Last I heard Keith Richards bought it.

Thanx for the insight. No matter what it's bad style to smash a guitar, , , , or any other instrument for that matter. . 

26 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I never liked the idea of smashing your instruments either. I wonder how many Pete Townshend smashed?

So many it came close to smashing his reputation in the looong run. . 

Apart from that, listen to his spare-time-album with Small Faces bass-player Ronnie Lane. Excellent stuff - in fact smaching. . 

Edited by E-minor7

On 9/24/2019 at 6:40 AM, zombywoof said:

According to legend, Chris Hillman was so fed up with Gram being late for or missing rehearsals that he smashed one of his guitars. 

Didn't work.

Shoulda popped him in the lip.

He might be alive today.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Didn't work.

Shoulda popped him in the lip.

He might be alive today.

I doubt it.  Parsons made the same mistake Tim Buckley did and paid the ultimate price for it.  Imagine though what music these guys might have been making had they not been taken from us as early as they were.

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Is that a Tune-O-Matic bridge (saddle) on Gram's Dove?

Eeehh, yes, Burst.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The next Q is whether it has nylon or metal-blades. . 

23 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Richie Halens and Buddy Holly  were 'taken from us'.   Parsons, Joplin and Van Gogh took themselves from us.  Nothing more tragic than taking one's own life, actively or passively.   Artist, poet, musician...

I think Buddy Holly was the best rocker this country has produced. We still hear his music everywhere.