Gibson Brands Forums

Avocados?

Navy Vet.

Being from the Chicago area the Chicago dog is the best for me.  Vienna all beef sausage dog, on a steamed bun with green pickle relish, mustard, onions, sliced and quartered tomato, topped off with celery salt and a kosher dill pickle.  Putting catsup on a hot dog will land you in jail around Chicago.  Now that I've moved to South Carolina I haven't had a good hot dog in 6 years ☹️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Ha!! Ha!!!  😂😂

How much did Herta pay you for this commercial advertisement?

45 kilograms drained net weight.

Hey; I'm Scottish. Seemed like a reasonable deal...

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

When I could still have hot dogs, I was liking Johnsonville "Better with Cheddar" brats. Like a hot dog with bits of cheese in it. I also used to love a good chili dog with mustard, relish, and raw onions. Along with bacon, one of the things that I truly miss eating!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Being from the Chicago area the Chicago dog is the best for me.  Vienna all beef sausage dog, on a steamed bun with green pickle relish, mustard, onions, sliced and quartered tomato, topped off with celery salt and a kosher dill pickle.  Putting catsup on a hot dog will land you in jail around Chicago.  Now that I've moved to South Carolina I haven't had a good hot dog in 6 years ☹️

OK; I know this is going to sound terribly naiive of me, Twang Gang, and apologies in advance if I'm asking what appear to be dumb questions but is the Chicago-Dog styled as it is due to a large Jewish population who emigrated into the Chicago area from continental Europe sometime in the 18th / 19th centuries? Please pardon my complete ignorance in these matters but although I can see how an all-beef 'Dog' could easily be kosher (pork, obviously, is out!) how does a kosher dill pickle differ from any other dill pickle? The herbs? The spices? The method of pickling? I'm very curious!

One of my 'longest-serving' and closest friends - we met as flatmates at uni 35 years ago - is Jewish and, as far as our respective family and work schedules will allow,  we still meet up every few weeks for a chinwag. We have had loads of fun over the years together discussing and devouring table-fare (preparing a kosher "Burns' Supper" is always a particular highlight) but I've never heard him mention that Chicago was a hot-bed of the Jewish people. Irish in Chicago, it goes without saying, but Jewish is new to me!

Please enlighten me!

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

alright all, hot dogs are good but I got my sights set on a different tube steak for tonight. (get your minds out of the gutters) - it's sausage w/ onion and peppers (from the local garden).  it will be good, but really only posted this because I want to see what b. bill has to say about tube steak 😉  

Edited by billroy
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, FemmeParallell said:

Avocado on a hot dog? that's new to me, and im Mexican! haha...i would try it, but yeah i agree that avocado is for tacos haha

Out of curiosity, where are you out of?  Say your Mexican, thing I remember most about my trip to Mexico was gummy bears covered in chili powder :), and some good people.

1 hour ago, G Mac said:

When I could still have hot dogs, 

A sad statement, I will have one in your honor

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pippy said:

OK...........

Please enlighten me!

Pip.

You could start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_Street

The Chess brothers, sons of Jewish immigrants from Poland -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Records

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

And in case anyone is still interested.....[laugh]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

[smile]

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, jdgm said:

You could start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_Street

The Chess brothers, sons of Jewish immigrants from Poland -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Records

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

And in case anyone is still interested.....[laugh]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

[smile]

Yeah, The best Hot-Dogs are Hebrew National and Vienna Beef, both Kosher. Pip you are correct, there isn't much of a Jewish presence here, but there is a significant community. Boston is Irish, Chicago is Polish.

The Chicago Dog with all the fixings on it became quite popular with the working class as a cheap 'meal.' You get all your servings of meat and veggies in one convenient sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

1 hour ago, deeman said:

Yeah, The best Hot-Dogs are Hebrew National and Vienna Beef, both Kosher. Pip you are correct, there isn't much of a Jewish presence here, but there is a significant community. Boston is Irish, Chicago is Polish...

Thanks very much, the pair of you, for posting links and for taking the time to reply.

The history of Maxwell Street is a subject in itself. Fascinating stuff. So as I understand it many types of meat could be use including beef, pork, lamb and venison(!) for the Chicago Dog but obviously the Beef one would have had the lion's share of the market amongst those who adhered to Judaism. Makes perfect sense. I'm still confused about the kosher pickle, though...

I didn't know that Boston was considered more Irish than Chicago, deeman. Interesting. Here in the UK we are often told that Boston is one of the places which is 'most like England' in the USA and every year we see images of the Chicago River turned green on St. Patrick's Day alongside lengthy footage of the associated procession so please excuse my confusion.

Cheers, guys!

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, G Mac said:

When I could still have hot dogs, I was liking Johnsonville "Better with Cheddar" brats. Like a hot dog with bits of cheese in it. I also used to love a good chili dog with mustard, relish, and raw onions. Along with bacon, one of the things that I truly miss eating!

I lived in Wauwatosa WI and I burned up a lot of Johnsonville brats on the grill.  Now brats,  I eat them in a bun with nothing else other than a cold Pabst. 

On 9/25/2019 at 3:38 PM, billroy said:

Out of curiosity, where are you out of?  Say your Mexican, thing I remember most about my trip to Mexico was gummy bears covered in chili powder :), and some good people.

A sad statement, I will have one in your honor

I live in Mexico (if that was what you were asking) 😛

haha gummy bears, gummy pineapples, gummy mangos, gummy everything with chilli power hahhaa

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/25/2019 at 3:22 PM, pippy said:

OK; I know this is going to sound terribly naiive of me, Twang Gang, and apologies in advance if I'm asking what appear to be dumb questions but is the Chicago-Dog styled as it is due to a large Jewish population who emigrated into the Chicago area from continental Europe sometime in the 18th / 19th centuries? Please pardon my complete ignorance in these matters but although I can see how an all-beef 'Dog' could easily be kosher (pork, obviously, is out!) how does a kosher dill pickle differ from any other dill pickle? The herbs? The spices? The method of pickling? I'm very curious!

One of my 'longest-serving' and closest friends - we met as flatmates at uni 35 years ago - is Jewish and, as far as our respective family and work schedules will allow,  we still meet up every few weeks for a chinwag. We have had loads of fun over the years together discussing and devouring table-fare (preparing a kosher "Burns' Supper" is always a particular highlight) but I've never heard him mention that Chicago was a hot-bed of the Jewish people. Irish in Chicago, it goes without saying, but Jewish is new to me!

Please enlighten me!

Pip.

There is a considerable Jewish population in and around Chicago, but I don't think that has much bearing on the Vienna All Beef dog being so popular.  That would have more to do with the dominant market share they have in selling wholesale to vendors.  Chicago was home to a huge stock market (slaughterhouse) for many years and all sorts of meat and other things (not necessarily desirable) could find their way into sausages and hot dogs.  So I think the Vienna all beef just became a way to avoid the unknown.  Also there was probably considerable mob influence as the Italians ran the mob and were pretty big in the wholesale food industry and probably advised a lot of small hot dog vendors to buy Vienna brand or they might run into problems.  They are kosher, so serving that brand you have it covered for Jews or Gentiles.

I don't know what makes a kosher dill pickle "kosher", probably something to do with it's making (using kosher salt perhaps?), but again using that on the dog allows you to serve everyone without reservation.  Chicago is a melting pot of nationalities, large Mexican population, Polish,  Italian, Irish, Greek, Lithuanian, German, etc. and they used to live together in certain neighborhoods whereas now they are pretty much spread out all over the place.  Chicago was never more Irish than anyplace else, but the Mayor Daley (who was in office most of my life), and then his son became Mayor after him for several terms were Irish, and he insisted on certain traditions like dyeing the river green on St. Pats day and the big parade.  Once those things get started (and a good excuse for taking off work and drinking) it's hard to stop them so it continues to this day.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 5:31 PM, billroy said:

Cool, don't want to derail the thread, so may ask in another post - what were your musical influences down there, local and other?

well it was cool, i had influences from the US, but also when i was growing up i listened to what was best from rock bands from Mexico and Latin america, i do feel that mexican rock music just stalled and its been years since something new and fresh came out. So I did have an inclination towards US rock because of this, its cooler

and about avocados, haha, its nice to have them cheap, and have at least 2 varieties of them almost all year long  haha😛

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

SOS every Wednesday night.

Was it the real SOS and not the chipped beef Hormel has out? It doe's look like something the dog yacked up, but man it tastes good. The chow hall in the Air Force used to serve it over hash browns. I've made it for my boys and they love it.

Real SOS.

9da5feee3326dfe309de069c2b873c54.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Was it the real SOS and not the chipped beef Hormel has out? It doe's look like something the dog yacked up, but man it tastes good. The chow hall in the Air Force used to serve it over hash browns. I've made it for my boys and they love it.

Real SOS.

I can dig it

7 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Real SOS.

should have avocados on it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1