Gibson Brands Forums

String "feel" question?

BarryD

if you're not dead set on bronze based, ever hear of Silk and Steel strings?    That may be what your looking for.

Also have you tried Elixir Nanos yet?   They are coated and not loved by everyone.  The coating might be the feel you're looking for with a bronze based string set and they have a very long usable life span.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kidblast said:

if you're not dead set on bronze based, ever hear of Silk and Steel strings?    That may be what your looking for.

Also have you tried Elixir Nanos yet?   They are coated and not loved by everyone.  The coating might be the feel you're looking for with a bronze based string set and they have a very long usable life span.

There are also the John Pearce bronze and silk strings.  They have a really thin core.

11 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

But the lightest "feel" of all (in my experience) are Martin Titaniums.  Expensive, yes, but they feel unlike anything else out there.......out of the package they're like cooked spaghetti noodles.  Nice, dry thumpy tone as well.

Whoa! Those are indeed some pricey strings. Are you using those strings in any of your recent videos that you've shared? How does their longevity compare with other strings that you've used?

• 1 month later...

Try the new Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings. The tension is adjusted by making the windings of a larger size wire and the core smaller. PROS Great feel and the sound is excellent.

CONS kind of pricey and the string is a little harder on the finger tips But I think the volume across all the strings is worth it. Supposed to last a long time as well. About $18.00

Edited by Holiday Hoser

On 12/2/2019 at 2:32 PM, rustystrings said:

Also consider nickel-wound acoustic gauge strings.  I've been using John Pearse .012-054s on my J-45 for five or six years now and love them.  The nickel is less dense than bronze and they just feel lighter.  

Ditto on the Pearse nickel....

On 10/22/2019 at 1:16 AM, Guth said:

Whoa! Those are indeed some pricey strings. Are you using those strings in any of your recent videos that you've shared? How does their longevity compare with other strings that you've used?

Yeah - in Canada they want $53.99 for a set!