Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

Neil Young.

I actually like some of his songs' date=' but I can't (for the life of me) understand why I've heard what a great player he is so many times. At least most of those who revere him don't play.[/quote']

I think you may be missing out on his expressiveness, but maybe there are different tests being used here for what makes a good guitarist, so maybe it's just we're not grading the same way?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you may be missing out on his expressiveness' date=' but maybe there are different tests being used here for what makes a good guitarist, so maybe it's just we're not grading the same way?[/quote']

That is a good point. What makes one great?

To me great = Danny Gatton - I always felt that if there was some sort of contest, he could play anything that anyone else could play. And few if any could play anything that Danny was doing.

I don't think you need to play a million notes to be great though, sometimes its what you leave out that makes one great.

It is all subjective ... but Neil Young ain't great LOL.

Danny Gatton is a madman on the guitar... He is one of the most UNDER-rated guitarists. I feel more from the likes of Hendrix and SRV's music though. Tommy Emmanuel is a genius, took me a while to get into him, but the more I listen to and watch via youtube the more I think he could be the best guitarist ever. Still Hendrix is my personal favourite. But seriously check tommy emmanuel out on youtube. If you don't like first vid you see of him, scout through he plays a range of styles;blues,jazz,accoustic,rock,bluegrass,some metaly stuff, but yeah it will be worth your while if you have taste :- And yeah I agree with whoever said Van Halen was over-rated, he lives off eruption and that sounds crappy in my humble opinion.

Though everyone is entitled to their opinion, to imply names like Clapton, May, Santana, SRV, etc. are over-rated? Over-rated at what? What is the criteria we're using here?

David Gilmour, for example, has openly admited his "fundamental" shortcomings as a guitar player yet he like all the others above are simply music paradigms, plain and simple. I would hate to think of the state of music today without their inherent influence. And did you ever see SRV in concert? His music was heavily repetitive so his music is not one of my favorites but the man literally became one with that guitar.

Fact is that all of these and many others are not only music paradigms but are the people that inspired me and so many others to pick up a guitar and play it. How can that be considered over-rated?

Most over-rated guitar player? Me. I suk. But I am getting better . . .

It seems like we have a lot of Angus fans here because no one has mentioned him yet.

I'll take the risk.

Angus Young is a highly overrated guitarist. His tone is brittle and harsh and his playing isn't anything special. He makes the SG look like toy and to me, he's one of the reasons why I like the Les Paul more.

It seems like we have a lot of Angus fans here because no one has mentioned him yet.

I'll take the risk.

Angus Young is a highly overrated guitarist. His tone is brittle and harsh and his playing isn't anything special. He makes the SG look like toy and to me' date=' he's one of the reasons why I like the Les Paul more. [/quote']

Absolutely agree... Angus does suck ANUS lololololololololololololol....

Also John Mayer. He's just a clone of Clapton, and to be honest, hes kinda Clapton's *****...

Just saying...

I'll take the risk.

Angus Young is a highly overrated guitarist. His tone is brittle and harsh and his playing isn't anything special. He makes the SG look like toy and to me' date=' he's one of the reasons why I like the Les Paul more. [/quote']

This guy gets it!

He doesn't suck, he just isn't good. And SOOOO overrated

others:

Yngwie Malmsteen

Buckethead

Slash (I love him, but he ain't the be all end all of guitar.)

Kirk Hammet

John Froosheeontay

Kerry King

Most every shredder ever.

P.S. slipknot is awesome!!!!

I'll take the risk.

So you did.

Angus Young is a highly overrated guitarist. His tone is brittle and harsh and his playing isn't anything special.

So exactly what kind of sound do you expect from the type of music he plays?

He makes the SG look like toy and to me' date=' he's one of the reasons why I like the Les Paul more. [/quote']

Wrong. He makes the SG look like an ES on him.

What defines a great guitar player? Ever hear Page live? I mean live, not the edited live stuff out for the masses, but untouched bootlegs or whatever. When he's on, he's on, but when he's not, he is horribly sloppy. But there is still an untangible factor X that comes through. It's being able to express yourself that counts. I'd rather hear Neil Young play than any wanking shredder hair band guitarist.

Rocky4, Lifelong Jimmy Page Fan

This whole thread is just plain sad.

Now' date=' there's something to agree with.

And now that both Beavis and Butthead have had their say, there isn't much more in it :-))

--[/quote']

Hey, Beavis and Butthead,

So why replied to the post and joined the "sad" party???

Ok so I saw a topic on here for under-rated giutarists which was interesting; so I thought I would make one for over-rated guitarists to see the outcome. I think Clapton' date='Santana and Brian May are amongs the most over-rated guitarists ever. What do you's think??[/quote']

I agree with Clapton he's not so good

Your Both Friggin' Idiots

shocked-smiley-9456.gif What did you ...just say.....??? shocked-smiley-9456.gif

jonas brothers. nuff said

oh yeah.

Ok so I saw a topic on here for under-rated giutarists which was interesting; so I thought I would make one for over-rated guitarists to see the outcome. I think Clapton' date='Santana and Brian May are amongs the most over-rated guitarists ever. What do you's think??[/quote']

Your Both Friggin' Idiots

quote=crossroadsnyc]This thread is getting kind of gay. It kind of reached that point when people started saying various guitarists "suck" - and now you want to go at each other?

I think it's getting to that point.

Hey' date=' Beavis and Butthead,

So why replied to the post and joined the "sad" party???[/quote']

'Beavis' and 'Butthead' refers to our residential clones of said entities - I'll leave the deduction to you (I didn't refer to The Mick or myself in the third person). Anyway, you missed the target there, I actually agree with your general sentiments, which is part of the reason for my comment. So lighten up; I recommend getting a sense of humour.

It kind of reached that point when people started saying various guitarists "suck" - and now you want to go at each other?

So it seems... Sad innit? [-X

DJ

--

Archived