Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

Ok so I saw a topic on here for under-rated giutarists which was interesting; so I thought I would make one for over-rated guitarists to see the outcome. I think Clapton,Santana and Brian May are amongst the most over-rated guitarists ever. What do you's think??

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok so I saw a topic on here for under-rated giutarists which was interesting; so I thought I would make one for over-rated guitarists to see the outcome. I think Clapton' date='Santana and Brian May are amongs the most over-rated guitarists ever. What do you's think??[/quote']

I am assuming you are young. Clapton probably seems boring to you, but back in the mid 60s, he was it. Look up John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton. That's wear he made his name. Brian May's early work ranks way up there also. You need to check out A Day at the Races and A Night at the Opera. I never was a big Santana fan. I wouldn't call him over rated. I like the Woodstock footage.

Yeah I know the bluesbreakers and that's his best stuff, but in my opinion he's not as good as people make out-therefore over-rated... Even at that time you had the likes of Hendrix, Page, the stones, who are miles above Clapton.

I think he's a decent player rocky, his blues stuff is above average, but he's remembered as a great. I just don't think he was great, he wasn't new or innovative, he wasn't technically great and his music doesn't make me feel much.

Brian May is one of the best guitarists out there, really.

Brian May's early work ranks way up there also. You need to check out A Day at the Races and A Night at the Opera.

+1

And yes, he is probably too young.

Overrated:

-Buckethead

-Those slipknot guys

-Michaelangelo Batio

-sadly Zakk and Slash

-I can't believe Kurt Cobain made the 50 best guitarists of all time list last year... but neither Robert Fripp nor Andy Summers did... just crazy.

If I say someone who I think is over rated, it will only be to me they are over rated. ie I am missing something..okay here I go.

I cannot abide the compositions and playing of Paul Gilbert. It just sounds very tacky and superficial to me. I know he is a great teacher and a a successful musician; My skin crawls every time I hear his music.

Even his humour falls completely flat on me too :-

Matt

I think he's a decent player rocky' date=' his blues stuff is above average, but he's remembered as a great. I just don't think he was great, he wasn't new or innovative, he wasn't technically great and his music doesn't make me feel much.[/quote']

The popularity of the Les Paul through a Marshall was due to Clapton. After hearing that sound, other players sought out the 50s are Les Pauls (which were not being made at that time) Players like Kossof, Bloomfield,etc

what everyone that illicits an opinion on clapton, page, townsend and the like have to remember is that these guys were not just "guitar players" like in your band at some honky tonk on saturday night...these guys were "GUITAR THINKERS". They were playing and making songs, not guitar. I can almost assure that not 1 single person posting here including myself would have laid tracks on any of those timeless hits to rival the originals. Any chimp can learn the technical aspects of playing an instrument, many fewer can express themselves in a way that speaks to others though. Personally I dont play guitar....I play songs on a guitar. I mean, can I learn and play the solo to paradise city? Sure of course. Could I have originally authored it? most likely not...

i see where OP is headed with Clapton being overrated. i am young and im a fan of clapton but i personally wouldn't be claiming him as "god" like some people. his concert a few years back was amazing and i understand he was a big influence to majority of people who play now, but people set him up as the best musician ever which i disagree. he's an amazing and influential musician, but not the greatest if you get what i'm saying. but that is opinionated to each their own.

overrated musician? i think kurt cobain was overrated

I think Brian May is in fact UNDER-rated, no one listens to their early stuff.

Clapton is overrated as a player now. He's still one of the best and you'll never find any mess ups, but he's lost his spark.

I think Eddie Van Halen is overrated. Boring, soulless, tone-less, and all of the songs could've been written by children.

I also think all the Super Shredders (Ninja Turtles II reference) are overrated. Save the speed for NASCAR. I'd rather hear a groovy 2 note solo thats played with soul than a 500 note solo that people call a song.

Most guitarists who are "pure shredders" are terrible to listen to. Also, I don't care for most of the big-name virtuosos: Vai, Satriani, Pettrucci, ugghh.

Sure they can make cool sounds and play fast, but who cares? Their music for the most part SUCKS!!

I'll take Angus Young any day over the lot of them. If I want to hear mindless speed, I'll go into guitar center where I can get my fair share of 15 year old kids picking and sweeping scales as fast as they can. All the while with the most serious, somber look of concentration on their face. I think to myself, "dude, is that even fun?!?" It sounds like @ss.

Jimmy Page was relatively sloppy, but he was original. He had more feel than most players who could crush him with technical speed. And for that, they pale in comparison.

Songs to listen to:

Overdose - AC/DC --Angus Young has the absolute most raw guitar sound on the planet in the second solo of this song. It is like his guitar is pouring out molten iron onto the recorder.

Since I've been Loving You - Led Zeppelin --Page's tone, and the whole composition...it's just eery. So heavy, without being tuned to drop C#, and played to machine gun drums. Far heavier than today's most "brutal" metal, while still being absolutely audibly pleasing.

David Gilmour doesn't play very fast at all, and he could blow Yngwie away.

Just my 2 cents.....

BTW, I'm 26 years old.

Archived