Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

I think there is a real clear trend here, which I agree with...

Anyone monkey can shred and play fast. It is the guitarists who use the instrument as a medium to express the music and the melodies that are in them who are the best ones. And for this, Clapton is a master. So is Keith Richards, it is just that he uses rhythm rather than melody.

I get tired of the 'technically pure' guitarists who dont know the *** end of a melody or how to play with feeling. I'll take slow over fast every time.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think Slash is pretty overrated

Anyone monkey can shred and play fast. It is the guitarists who use the instrument as a medium to express the music and the melodies that are in them who are the best ones

As good as Paul Gilbert is he is pretty one dimensional in that he only shreds but nothin more melodic

Brian May is one of the best guitarists out there' date=' really.

+1

And yes, he is probably too young.

Overrated:

-Buckethead

-Those slipknot guys

-Michaelangelo Batio

-sadly Zakk and Slash

-I can't believe Kurt Cobain made the 50 best guitarists of all time list last year... but neither Robert Fripp nor Andy Summers did... just crazy.[/quote']

slipknot is the WORST BAND EVER THEY ARE GAY AND A DISGRACE TO ALL METAL...i also agree with buckethead

Most guitarists who are "pure shredders" are terrible to listen to. Also' date=' I don't care for most of the big-name virtuosos: Vai, Satriani, Pettrucci, ugghh.

Sure they can make cool sounds and play fast, but who cares? Their music for the most part SUCKS!!

I'll take Angus Young any day over the lot of them. If I want to hear mindless speed, I'll go into guitar center where I can get my fair share of 15 year old kids picking and sweeping scales as fast as they can. All the while with the most serious, somber look of concentration on their face. I think to myself, "dude, is that even fun?!?" It sounds like @ss.

Jimmy Page was relatively sloppy, but he was original. He had more feel than most players who could crush him with technical speed. And for that, they pale in comparison.

Songs to listen to:

Overdose - AC/DC --Angus Young has the absolute most raw guitar sound on the planet in the second solo of this song. It is like his guitar is pouring out molten iron onto the recorder.

Since I've been Loving You - Led Zeppelin --Page's tone, and the whole composition...it's just eery. So heavy, without being tuned to drop C#, and played to machine gun drums. Far heavier than today's most "brutal" metal, while still being absolutely audibly pleasing.

David Gilmour doesn't play very fast at all, and he could blow Yngwie away.

Just my 2 cents.....

BTW, I'm 26 years old.[/quote']

+1 on all accounts....27 years old

Are we talking "over-rated" of just personal preferences? Clapton is NOT "over-rated!" He may not be your "cup of tea,"

and that's fine. But, he's one of the best, at what he does, has improved, all along...even if there were periods (by his

own admission) he was "less than in his best form." I see these comparisons done a LOT! It's really worthless! People love

(not not) who they love. That's totally cool! But, this who's better than who, is a total waste of time "tail-chase," IMHO.

But, that's just it...it's only MY opinion. No disrespect, to other's opinions, intended.

Cheers,

CB

Although I know there are some Kiss fans here' date='

I dare say Ace is one of the most over-rated guitarists.

[/quote']

I think it depends on what you're rating guitarists on.

As far as pure skill and technique, Ace would be the first to tell you he's not that great. However, on being able to entertain and inspire kids to pick up a guitar and give it a go, then Ace is in the upper echelon.

Best, worst or over rated, rating a guitarist is very personal. While I can appreciate teh "skill" in a shredders work, it leaves me cold but simple pentatonic run performed with feeling and expression (Slash's first solo in Knockin' on Heavens Door) really does it for me.

Over and out

'Better' or 'worse' doesn't exist' date=' as long as you're one with the music.

[/quote']

Don't come here with that decadent, diplomatic, peace mongering European attitude! This is a US dominated forum - it's all about kicking *** and asserting superiority ;-)

DJ

--

Don't come here with that decadent' date=' diplomatic, peace mongering European attitude! This is a US dominated forum - it's all about kicking *** and asserting superiority ;-)

DJ

--[/quote']

LMAO, few beers in me I can hear the song "America...Fu*k yeah" from team America!

See you do get irony!

Mattxxx

I noticed that some of you dis so called "shredders"

saying anyone can learn to shred. Well, I can't shred. Can you?

When you can shred but still choose to do slow solos, you would

be more convincing. But if you dis shredders because they play

faster than you, then you're just jealous.

I think it depends on what you're rating guitarists on.

As far as pure skill and technique' date=' Ace would be the first to tell you he's not that great.

[/quote']

How can one express his feeling on a guitar without the necessary and proper skill and technique?

Not talking about speed here.

+1 Slash

+ another 1 Slash

What about Noel Gallagher ( no sorry the question was about guitarists wasn't it?)

No one mentioned John McLaughlin , too right!

how can you overate jazz perfection

How can one express his feeling on a guitar without the necessary and proper skill and technique?

Not talking about speed here.

Both excellent points.

I agree the word technique has become associated with an instrumentalist being able to play fast flurries of notes. There is indeed as much technique in voicing a chord well, or articulating a phrase etc.

I like many so called shredders. What I find distasteful is someone who chooses fast flurries of notes as an alternative to a well constructed solo because they have not the imagination to do the solo convincingly otherwise. They have bypassed phrasing etc in their learning the instrument and gone straight to what they think as the juicy bits, with egotistical results!

I suppose this is an opposite of your example.

Matt

When you can shred but still choose to do slow solos' date=' you would

be more convincing. But if you dis shredders because they play

faster than you, then you're just jealous.

[/quote']

i dont think its about dissing them, it does take some talent to do but they become one dimensional and repetitive.

Ok so I saw a topic on here for under-rated giutarists which was interesting; so I thought I would make one for over-rated guitarists to see the outcome. I think Clapton' date='Santana and Brian May are amongs the most over-rated guitarists ever. What do you's think??[/quote']

This a your attempt at humor, right? [-o<

Ace Frehley

Actually his ratings aren't too high to begin with are they? I never heard his name used in the realm of players like Hendrix, Clapton Page, Green, Lee, and so on... And anyone familiar with the story where he had to be re-taught his guitar parts before a tour would certainly not have any high ratings on him. But never underestimate the power of marketing/

Archived