Gibson Brands Forums

Your most OVER-rated guitarist?

smithy78

I'd have to say Ted Nugent. Most bar-band guitarists, including me, can play anything he's done fairly easily. I've never understood how that guy made the 'big-time' being no better at guitar than he is.

Of course it goes without saying that Noel Galleger (sp) is nothing more than a chord strummer. He hardly rates a mention as a 'guitarist'.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have to say Ted Nugent. Most bar-band guitarists' date=' including me, can play anything he's done fairly easily. I've never understood how that guy made the 'big-time' being no better at guitar than he is.[/quote']

Yeah I agree man.

Jimmy Page was relatively sloppy' date=' but he was original. He had more feel than most players who could crush him with technical speed. And for that, they pale in comparison.

Songs to listen to:

Since I've been Loving You - Led Zeppelin --Page's tone, and the whole composition...it's just eery. So heavy, without being tuned to drop C#, and played to machine gun drums. Far heavier than today's most "brutal" metal, while still being absolutely audibly pleasing.

[/quote']

:-

For those of you who doubt this sentiment, hit the bootleg blogs and listen to some of the live magic Jimmy provided.

I think SRV was a good' date=' maybe even geat guitarist, BUT...he's always been a "Hendrix" clone, to me....but without

the innovative approach, that Jimi had. But, I don't dislike him, for that...just not sure what all the reverence, or "fuss"

was about?

CB[/quote']

+1

To watch SRV play I think he was both a technically and fundamentally better guitar player than Hendrix. Problem is, as you say, Hendrix was the innovator where SRV was the imitator. It is that innovation that places players like Gilmour at the top of my list. Again, even Gilmour admits there are guitar players that are way better technically and fundamentally than he is. It is his innovation, like Hendrix, that makes them the cream of the crop.

So I think we all get the point here. Personal prefrence is the over whelming point made by everybody. People are dealing absolutes. Since I know nothing about guitars my only knoledge about guitarist is; they all suck. Except Buckethead. yea

*sarcasim

+1

To watch SRV play I think he was both a technically and fundamentally better guitar player than Hendrix. Problem is' date=' as you say, Hendrix was the innovator where SRV was the imitator. It is that innovation that places players like Gilmour at the top of my list. Again, even Gilmour admits there are guitar players that are way better technically and fundamentally than he is. It is his innovation, like Hendrix, that makes them the cream of the crop.[/quote']

Hendrix's technique is a lot harder to immitate than SRV's. SRV was also a lot less experimental( still more so than most) I'm not trying to put him down, I'm just saying Hendrix=1, SRV=2 and Tommy Emmanuel=3 (thought i'd throw him in there lol) But yeah that's what I say.

FAR AND AWAY:

1) Eric Clapton: Seriously, I love the soulful playing but he's NOT that good, even in his genre compared to other greats. I don't find his riffs that interesting. Jimmy Paige could do rings around him.

2) Zakk Wylde: Stop Fing up Randy's riffs with a SQUEAL EVERY 4 NOTES!!

3) The shitty guitarists from Dragon Force who CAN'T PLAY LIVE

4) Slash: He's awesome and just a damn cool guy, but too much hype in the last 5 years

5) Kurt Cobain: Sorry kids, you don't have to be good to play grunge/punk

LOL I had to rip on Dragon Force....I have a lot of younger (teenage friends) who like them a lot, but I've seen HORRIBLE live performances on YouTube where they royaly and consistently botch their dual-lead shreds.

SRV sucks

but who said clapton is over-rated[-x

the dude invented good tone

nuff said

and dont forget, aint much cool then this

Ace-1.jpg

AngusYoung.jpg

you know who i dont care for much, alex lifeson, he is a good player, but sometimes his solos are too weird, his tone kinda sucks, and he looks funny

not my cup of tea, but he fit in perfectly for what rush was doing

There is one thing being a lead guitarist and one thing being a songwriter playing guitar.. And that's exactly how I see Kurt Cobain, I know he didn't pull off the greatest solo's but no one seems to question his songwriting skills.

Try to copy Clapton. By yourself, without music in the background. You might know the notes, but you'll never nail it. Not like Clapton did. He will always be one of the top five electric guitar players. (I haven't stooped to name calling yet, until BB King gets slammed)

SLASH.

He's a good guitarist from a technical aspect, but I don't like the fact that he sees the need to stick a guitar solo in every song he's ever written. One of the reasons I admire guitarists like The Edge and Eric Clapton so much as that they contribute to the mood of the song - Edge can go for an entire 6 minute song and only play for 7 seconds if that's what fits the feel best. Clapton, on the other hand, has the capacity to write a simple yet catchy riff (eg Sunshine of your Love) without having to showboat.

Actually his ratings aren't too high to begin with are they? I never heard his name used in the realm of players like Hendrix' date=' Clapton Page, Green, Lee, and so on... And anyone familiar with the story where he had to be re-taught his guitar parts before a tour would certainly not have any high ratings on him. But never underestimate the power of marketing/[/quote']

I dunno. Some on this board and the LPF forum seem to think very highly of him, which I just don't understand. Hence my choice.

what everyone that illicits an opinion on clapton' date=' page, townsend and the like have to remember is that these guys were not just "guitar players" like in your band at some honky tonk on saturday night...these guys were "GUITAR THINKERS". They were playing and making songs, not guitar. I can almost assure that not 1 single person posting here including myself would have laid tracks on any of those timeless hits to rival the originals. Any chimp can learn the technical aspects of playing an instrument, many fewer can express themselves in a way that speaks to others though. Personally I dont play guitar....I play songs on a guitar. I mean, can I learn and play the solo to paradise city? Sure of course. Could I have originally authored it? most likely not... [/quote']

I agree on this point. I think it's "neat" when I hear a really technically accomplished guitarist but that's about where it ends. I've been playing guitar(music on guitar) for probably about 14 years now. I have nothing wrong with adding a few subtle lead tricks to my bag every now and again but I don't set out to learn things just for the sake of learning. I think the early "greats" of guitar were the same way. It was more about the music, words, feel, and showmanship than it was technical prowess.

Archived