Gibson Brands Forums

Sound differences of the 2000 and up Country Western...

anzafrank

53 minutes ago, anzafrank said:

Compared to lets say 2000 and up J-45, J-50, Hummingbird. Are they all pretty close to each other sound wise? I never played a CW and am just curious why SC plays one, and how they sound. 

I'm sure like most people cause she likes the way it sounds. That is usually my criteria.  

The Country Western in general became dimensionally the same specs as the Hummingbird in 1962 .

Why does Sheryl like her C& W ??

Gibson interviewed her for the new souped up version of her signature model:

This is different than her previous C&W in that it has a Wide “X”  scalloped bracing.

The originals from the 60’s had straight (unscalloped  bracing) and the old Sheryl Crow model  had Scalloped X bracing in the standard “X” position.

Here’s demo of the old Sheryl model:

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, anzafrank said:

Must have taken quite a bit of time to come up with such wisdom on the subject.

It didn't but you gotta let your ears and wallet determine what sounds good to you and what you can afford. Everyone on this forum can chime and give their own interpretation of how it sounds.

• Like 1

It's easy to fall in love with that sound. I have a love-hate relationship with the squares. Well... hate is not appropriate. I hate them because it is the one model that puts me on an impossible one-way road to seeking perfection. I can never seem to be satisfied with "let good enough be"... with Birdy squares only.

My own irrational issues aside, in the spirit of JC... this is the video demo of what starts me on my insane square road. The tone is heavenly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

It's easy to fall in love with that sound. I have a love-hate relationship with the squares. Well... hate is not appropriate. I hate them because it is the one model that puts me on an impossible one-way road to seeking perfection. I can never seem to be satisfied with "let good enough be"... with Birdy squares only.

My own irrational issues aside, in the spirit of JC... this is the video demo of what starts me on my insane square road. The tone is heavenly.

I have yet to meet a guitar that didn't sound good tuned down, in an open tuning. It's not clear how accurately that represents the guitar as most of us would play it, but it does sound really nice.

• Haha 1

I borrowed a MK1 Sheryl CW from the London Gibson offices when I was having my old SJ20/ refretted in 2008. I had some support shows coming up and needed a guitar for them and had a deal with Gibson at the time.

The guitar was fantastic-I wanted to buy it from Gibson but they wouldn't let me as it was a demo instrument. Similar to a Hummingbird but this one had some overtones which were astonishingly pretty. Really light and responsive, loud but never hard or brash. Super impressive, and I can see why SC wanted them built that way. I'd love to try one of the newer ones!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 10:55 PM, JuanCarlosVejar said:

The Country Western in general became dimensionally the same specs as the Hummingbird in 1962 .

Why does Sheryl like her C& W ??

Gibson interviewed her for the new souped up version of her signature model:

This is different than her previous C&W in that it has a Wide “X”  scalloped bracing.

The originals from the 60’s had straight (unscalloped  bracing) and the old Sheryl Crow model  had Scalloped X bracing in the standard “X” position.

Here’s demo of the old Sheryl model:

JC

didnt know that! wonder how different the 2000 models and new models sound!  really liked this vid demo

edit: i mean having a side by side comparison video

Edited by FemmeParallell

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Here's another of the old ones - looks almost mint

Time capsule condition on that one. . . the unusual assemblage (to me) of chord shapes in the demo, and  waiting for him to put the pick down, had me scrolling up the page to listen to another. Gives an appreciation for the trickier-than-it-looks demos out there.

3 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Sal, I would say  Tobias has probably put in his 10,000 hours of practice. And then some.

The way he holds his pick when he is not using it, and then shifts it to use it, is pretty fascinating. I would drop it every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hall said:

I have a Crow CW and I say Gibson "nailed it" on a great sounding guitar and just leave it at that.

Would really like to try one of the new versions. 

And yes, contemporary squares are often terrific guitars.  Let them break in and reveal some loose bass then they get dream-real.

Btw. none of you seemed to notice that the  64'er posted last Tuesday has the plastic bridge.