Gibson Brands Forums

Tune o matic height

Hassmaschine

Hey all, just picked up a les paul trad pro v during the guitar center sale on pres day weekend. Question for those out there a bit more familiar. The tune o matic on the high e is tweaked all the way down to the body, the low e has some movement left to it.

The action is fine 2/32 high e, 3/32 low e. Intonation is great, and the fret relief seems fine as well (Albeit a tiny bit high). My concern is that the high e side on the bridge can't be tweaked any further even if I wanted to, to my understanding it should have room enough to go down to get fret buzz but i can't even.  

Live with it? Take it back to the dealer? Advice?

9985B50B-45AA-4DD6-8E63-3B6764D6DF22.jpeg

2A9CD031-B0EB-4AAF-87B6-51AAF0E4599F.jpeg

AE7DA7C8-EA2A-4089-A4B7-7102AA1F8A54.jpeg

1 hour ago, Big Bill said:

I had this happen to me once. I came to find the relief on my neck was a bit off. I few tweaks to the truss rod took care of the issue.

Did you find that after you had a bit of room on the bridge wheels for adjustment after adjusting the truss? I'm sincerely hoping that's the case with mine, just tighten her up a little (get her a little more flat) and then have to raise the bridge to remove buzz. Just a little disappointed she came that way, although I have little to complain about she still plays beautifully.

19 minutes ago, Hassmaschine said:

Did you find that after you had a bit of room on the bridge wheels for adjustment after adjusting the truss? I'm sincerely hoping that's the case with mine, just tighten her up a little (get her a little more flat) and then have to raise the bridge to remove buzz. Just a little disappointed she came that way, although I have little to complain about she still plays beautifully.

Yes, I was able to into get the intonation spot on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

In sum, I wouldn't worry about it.  As long as it is in spec and it plays to your liking, I'd keep it.  FYI, one of my LP Customs is just like your guitar - nearly completely lowered bridge. 

I'm with Chris here (as per usual, btw). 

Contrary to what a lot of young Ibanez players would have you think, there is no actual worth in being able to achieve fret buzz by low action. I'd be more concerned if I had fret buzz that I couldn't get rid of. 

But I see where you're coming from. New Guitar Syndrome IS hard to tell apart from Actual Problem-Guitar Syndrome. To some degree, we all fall victims to it. 

Personally, would I worry? Yes - the operative word being "personally". From the outside, looking in? No. If it does what it wants you to and sounds great, it's a keeper. 

Check my "Fantomen" thread for perspective. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I'm with Chris here (as per usual, btw). 

Contrary to what a lot of young Ibanez players would have you think, there is no actual worth in being able to achieve fret buzz by low action. I'd be more concerned if I had fret buzz that I couldn't get rid of. 

But I see where you're coming from. New Guitar Syndrome IS hard to tell apart from Actual Problem-Guitar Syndrome. To some degree, we all fall victims to it. 

Personally, would I worry? Yes - the operative word being "personally". From the outside, looking in? No. If it does what it wants you to and sounds great, it's a keeper. 

Check my "Fantomen" thread for perspective. 

Oh I agree, I don't *want* fret buzz, I just like knowing it's achievable which it should be on any decent guitar (as well as the ability to get out of it).  I'll play around with the truss this weekend with my nephew who is a pro guitar tech and see if I can get the bridge up a little with tightening the truss. If it comes up and everything adjusts back to expected then all the worry is for nothing I suppose. If it doesn't... that'll be a different story and a conversation with Gibson. I have a hard time swallowing a 2k+ purchase on a guitar and having a core component be so off the mark.

Sincere, I appreciate all the feedback!

PS: My *guess* is that Gibson shipped her with 10s. I requested 9s which GC reset it up for but never adjusted the truss they just lowered the bridge. But that's just a guess.

I think you are on the right track - a tweak of the truss rod and a  little flattening of the board may result in your raising the bridge on that side.  I have two LPs with very low action and neither has the bridge all the way down on the treble side, there is still a little room for a turn or two of the wheel.  Your guess about the GC set up is probably correct as well, they are not known for their 100% attention to detail.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hassmaschine said:

PS: My *guess* is that Gibson shipped her with 10s. I requested 9s which GC reset it up for but never adjusted the truss they just lowered the bridge. But that's just a guess.

If they went from 10's to 9's that would result in less tension and tend to flatten the neck.   If you have a problem with your neck relief it's that it's too much, hence having to lower the bridge excessively.  Just simply check the relief and see if it looks OK.  If it's flat then you may have a real problem (unlikely), if you have a lot of relief then that's probably it (more likely).  Put a capo on the 2nd fret and then hold down the low E at the 16th fret.  There should be just a little space at the 8th fret, or so.

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Hassmaschine said:

Oh I agree, I don't *want* fret buzz, I just like knowing it's achievable which it should be on any decent guitar (as well as the ability to get out of it).  I'll play around with the truss this weekend with my nephew who is a pro guitar tech and see if I can get the bridge up a little with tightening the truss. If it comes up and everything adjusts back to expected then all the worry is for nothing I suppose. If it doesn't... that'll be a different story and a conversation with Gibson. I have a hard time swallowing a 2k+ purchase on a guitar and having a core component be so off the mark.

Sincere, I appreciate all the feedback!

I hear ya. 

And agree. 2k should equal perfection. 

Betcha a dollar the neck relief is a little too much.  Set the neck relief first so that there's just a hair of relief and then maybe you'll need to raise the bridge to get the action right.

Pretty much every new Gibson will need a little trussrod tightening after they settle in over the first few months.  

1 hour ago, Hassmaschine said:

Spot on, truss adjustment fixed it! Loosened her up a little then gave her a slight tighten and the action came down enough that I got to heighten the bridge. 

Of course now there’s a little truss rattle. 🤦‍♂️

The TR should at least be snug if it’s all the way backed off. Not good to leave completely loose. 

Are you measuring the relief with a feeler gauge? I would make sure you have somewhere in the 0.010” range give or take a couple thou. Make sure you are tuning to pitch before measuring too. @Black Dog gave you good instruction if you wanted to know how in case you have never used the proposed method. Anyhow good luck with everything. Don’t hesitate to ask questions. 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Are you measuring the relief with a feeler gauge? 

Nobody here ever measures anything.  "Tweek" this, "turn" that, "lower" this, action "looks great", "neck is straight and fast".

A guitar is set up to function properly, not look good in selfies.  I don't understand why people do stuff by eye or hunch of looks good when there are ways to do it such that it functions right, not looks good to you.

Weird.

rct

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, rct said:

Nobody here ever measures anything.  "Tweek" this, "turn" that, "lower" this, action "looks great", "neck is straight and fast".

A guitar is set up to function properly, not look good in selfies.  I don't understand why people do stuff by eye or hunch of looks good when there are ways to do it such that it functions right, not looks good to you.

Weird.

rct

Ain’t it the truth

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, rct said:

We never had any of these issues in the past when the two of us got together! You always liked that stuff!!

• Haha 1