Gibson Brands Forums

NGD, a Hondo II

sparquelito

New Guitar Day.

Picked up this 1980 Hondo II HD990WA (in Walnut finish) for $115 at a local pawn shop the other day. She cleaned up real nice.

Feels really good, sounds fantastic, and (for a single humbucker pickup-equipped guitar) it's amazingly versatile.

Nato body and neck, and she features an original DiMarzzio K-10 humbucker. She weighs 8 lbs, 4 ounces and has a 24 ¾ ” scale

The small switch is described as a Series/Parallel Mini Switch. It's sort of a coil-tapping feature, unique for a barely post-1970's guitar. (I'm sure the electronics experts will educate me on the fine points of that item.) I just know it sounds great in both distinctly-different tonal options.

I am really digging this old guitar!
I can't wait to gig with her.

😙

hondo-ii-1-jpg.685622
hondo-ii-2-jpg.685623
hondo-ii-3-jpg.685624
hondo-ii-4-jpg.685625
hondo-ii-5-jpg.685626
hondo-ii-6-jpg.685627

• Like 1

I had a friend with an early 1980s  Hondo II Les-Paul-Custom  copy.  I know a lot of people really like those Hondo guitars.  My friend's guitar was absolutely beautiful but played and sounded horribly.   Just not good at all ... It sounds like yours is much better than that, so I am happy for you.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:52 PM, sparquelito said:

New Guitar Day.

Picked up this 1980 Hondo II HD990WA (in Walnut finish) for $115 at a local pawn shop the other day. She cleaned up real nice.

Feels really good, sounds fantastic, and (for a single humbucker pickup-equipped guitar) it's amazingly versatile.

Nato body and neck, and she features an original DiMarzzio K-10 humbucker. She weighs 8 lbs, 4 ounces and has a 24 ¾ ” scale

The small switch is described as a Series/Parallel Mini Switch. It's sort of a coil-tapping feature, unique for a barely post-1970's guitar. (I'm sure the electronics experts will educate me on the fine points of that item.) I just know it sounds great in both distinctly-different tonal options.

I am really digging this old guitar!
I can't wait to gig with her.

😙

hondo-ii-6-jpg.685627

Very fun guitar to play, LP style do lend them selves very well to bolt on necks but I think those tuners may cause you more grief than they are worth..

Edited by mihcmac

14 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Very fun guitar to play, LP style do lend them selves very well to bolt on necks but I think those tuners may cause you more grief than they are worth..

I'll definitely keep an eye on them, sir. 

For right now they seem to be holding the guitar in tune fairly well. 
My brother and I were in the music room yesterday, fooling around with some originals, and I was on drums for half the day. 
Stacey was playing the Hondo for a stretch there, and it sounded like it was holding pitch. 

I'm a very strange person about keeping a guitar bone-stock, and thus far (from what I can find on the internet) this Hondo II looks to have all the original factory bits. 

😃

Cool find.  Wonder if Hondo ever got into lawsuit issues with Gibson?  I mean that really does look like a LP Jr, down the stop tail and bridge.  Nice finish and a great find for $115.  I am no electronics wiz, but since it only has one pickup I would guess it's just switching the coils between being in series or parallel.  As long as it provides some tonal difference that's all that matters. 

Quite a few pawn shops in my area, and I've never gone into one, with these repeated finds you've gotten, I may have to start browsing just for fun.

2 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Cool find.  Wonder if Hondo ever got into lawsuit issues with Gibson?

No.  The "lawsuit" has been greatly exaggerated over the decades as a way to inflate the value of copies.  Ibanez for Fender and Tokai for Gibson bore the brunt of it, and it wasn't much of a brunt.  Valley Arts was the last one sued, late 70's.   By the time this guitar was made the companies had all changed headstocks and logos to avoid further slap fights.

rct

11 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I'll definitely keep an eye on them, sir. 

For right now they seem to be holding the guitar in tune fairly well. 
My brother and I were in the music room yesterday, fooling around with some originals, and I was on drums for half the day. 
Stacey was playing the Hondo for a stretch there, and it sounded like it was holding pitch. 

I'm a very strange person about keeping a guitar bone-stock, and thus far (from what I can find on the internet) this Hondo II looks to have all the original factory bits. 

😃

Nothing unusual about wanting to keep it stock, if the frets are good on a possibly 30yr old Samick made Hondo its very likely the tuners are still good too..

Pretty guitar...  The Samick factory that built quite few sought after Epiphones models in the 90's

Edited by mihcmac