Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG smell

New2this

My SG has that vanilla / nitrocellulose paint smell I've been reading about.

But I feel its sort of tobacco-ish in nature too. (ie; vanilla pipe tobacco?)

I've never seen that mentioned so I'm unsure if that is along the same lines as the paint smell or I'm catching a different whiff.   

9 hours ago, New2this said:

My SG has that vanilla / nitrocellulose paint smell I've been reading about.

But I feel its sort of tobacco-ish in nature too. (ie; vanilla pipe tobacco?)

I've never seen that mentioned so I'm unsure if that is along the same lines as the paint smell or I'm catching a different whiff.   

All of my Gibsons have had that smell but none more than my recent LP Special. It absolutely reeks of nitro. I bought it mail order and it had never been out of the box. It hadn't had the benefit of being out on a shop's rack getting aired out, the Gibson factory seal was unbroken.

I've had it a few weeks now, maybe a month and it doesn't seem to have lost any smell yet. I leave it in the case with the lid open. Some of my Gibsons still smell years down the line but I have a 2010 LP Custom which has finally lost its nitro smell.

legend has it, it's the glue used in the Canadian made cases..  who knows..  I have a new Gretsch,  (well, from about a month or so ago) the Gretsch case is made in Canada  , the guitar is MIK, guess what I smell when I open it...   you guessed it,, the same smell, of which I am quite familiar having owned a # of (new) USA made Gibsons.....  go figure..

Edited by kidblast

Nitro'd Fenders smell the same.  My EJRW still smells like that, 5 years later.  American case, same for my new 2 Tone Tele.  It's heavenly.  My Jazz is 15 years old and smells like that when you get close to it.  Same for M-36, 4 years old.  I'm glad I couldn't get in the paint shop at Fedner, I'da just laid down and got high in there.

rct

Edited by rct

44 minutes ago, rct said:

Nitro'd Fenders smell the same.  My EJRW still smells like that, 5 years later.  American case, same for my new 2 Tone Tele.  It's heavenly.  My Jazz is 15 years old and smells like that when you get close to it.  Same for M-36, 4 years old.  I'm glad I couldn't get in the paint shop at Fedner, I'da just laid down and got high in there.

rct

Doesn't anybody sniff panties any more. Its now guitar cases and truss rod tools. Bunch a weirdos.

M-36. Love a 3 piece back. Miss my 35 then I see my 41 and I get over it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Doesn't anybody sniff panties any more. Its now guitar cases and truss rod tools. Bunch a weirdos.

M-36. Love a 3 piece back. Miss my 35 then I see my 41 and I get over it.

As do I 😉 

d35backzmsun.jpg

I don't see how you resist smelling that Martin's hole.

You are  a much stronger man than I'll ever be.

I tried sniffing my 335's F-holes and you know, it really just didn't do it for me.  I actually felt kind of cheap and tawdry afterwards.  Might as well have done a Melody Maker.

Maybe I  need vintage plastic, the stuff that's correct on the molecular level?

53 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I don't see how you resist smelling that Martin's hole.

You are  a much stronger man than I'll ever be.

I tried sniffing my 335's F-holes and you know, it really just didn't do it for me.  I actually felt kind of cheap and tawdry afterwards.  Might as well have done a Melody Maker.

Maybe I  need vintage plastic, the stuff that's correct on the molecular level?

Any connoisseur of sniffing knows you need to sniff the stagnant goodness of what is behind the control cavity cover. Them pots be aromatic.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, arcticsg said:

Gorgeous!

Thanks.  It doesn't suck. It's a keeper.  Loved the 18 and 28 and 35, sold and traded them to fund the 41, and would own any of those again, but this is next level. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper