Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Gibson Les Paul Junior Special

Filbert

Bought this yesterday:

HZjynWj.jpg?1

Some background: I had been after a P90 SG initially but specifically, I wanted a P90 SG Standard that had two pickups as well as the parallelogram fretboard inserts but I have been unable to find one. As far as I can tell, they were only made in 2016. This is the sort I mean:

SGS90HCCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

But I couldn't find one either new or used from the usual sources. So I turned my attention to the Les Paul Jr with P90s instead. However, further complications! It appears the 2 pickup models are hard to find as well - most of the Jrs I saw for sale were the standard model with a single bridge pickup. Eventually, I found a Jr Special in worn ebony and even though I really wanted a blue stain finish one, I pulled the trigger the other day.

Glad I did, I love it so far! I can report it sounds fantastic. I am primarily a bedroom player these days; I did the gigging/band thing in my youth but what that really means is my aural tastes have changed. As I don't have to share space or compete with the rest of a band at volume, I don't need so much the treble/mid cut-through that one usually needs when playing in a band. What that means in practice is that I usually dislike bridge pickups - I find them shrill and piercing in a small-room scenario and most my guitars I play through neck pickup. But, unusually, the bridge pickup on this is awesome - not too jangly or shrill and it really growls.

It's not the most expensive guitar I have bought or owned and I freely admit to being snobby in the past about entry-level guitars but I think the Jr is some real 'bang for your buck'.

• Like 2

Congrats. That’s a great guitar. I have one of these in satin blue. At one point I wanted to buy back an R0 that I had sold to get my R9. I was at the store with a couple of guitars. At one point I plug in the Les Paul Special and it just sounds so good, I end up trading in a PRS instead. Maybe started as a junior, but I got the pickguard of a special and a neck P-90 and converted it into a Special.

Just an aside is that the name of the model of your guitar is Les Paul Special Tribute DC. Special is a Les Paul with slab body and two P-90s, Tribute refers to the satin finish and that it belongs to the modern collection, and DC is for Double Cut. Juniors will have only a bridge P-90. So the one pickup version of your guitar would be Les Paul Junior Tribute DC. 

I think the confusion is because there is a singlecut and a doublecut version of the special. The original specials In the ‘50s were indeed double cut. However, at some point Gibson embraced the DC Les Paul and switched. Because there is already a singlecut model of Specials in the current lineup, some will incorrectly conclude that the doublecut can’t have the same name. 

1 hour ago, Filbert said:

Bought this yesterday:

HZjynWj.jpg?1

Some background: I had been after a P90 SG initially but specifically, I wanted a P90 SG Standard that had two pickups as well as the parallelogram fretboard inserts but I have been unable to find one. As far as I can tell, they were only made in 2016. This is the sort I mean:

But I couldn't find one either new or used from the usual sources. So I turned my attention to the Les Paul Jr with P90s instead. However, further complications! It appears the 2 pickup models are hard to find as well - most of the Jrs I saw for sale were the standard model with a single bridge pickup. Eventually, I found a Jr Special in worn ebony and even though I really wanted a blue stain finish one, I pulled the trigger the other day.

Glad I did, I love it so far! I can report it sounds fantastic. I am primarily a bedroom player these days; I did the gigging/band thing in my youth but what that really means is my aural tastes have changed. As I don't have to share space or compete with the rest of a band at volume, I don't need so much the treble/mid cut-through that one usually needs when playing in a band. What that means in practice is that I usually dislike bridge pickups - I find them shrill and piercing in a small-room scenario and most my guitars I play through neck pickup. But, unusually, the bridge pickup on this is awesome - not too jangly or shrill and it really growls.

It's not the most expensive guitar I have bought or owned and I freely admit to being snobby in the past about entry-level guitars but I think the Jr is some real 'bang for your buck'.

Nice. Congrats. I played a blue one in GC a month ago. They are at a killer price. Nice to see Gibson doesn't only make 3k guitars.

I just used that mustard on my corned beef the other night. First time I had it was in Toronto, Canada.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I'm crying my eyes out now. Yesterday I was looking for Juniors and SG Specials with P90s. I couldn't pull the trigger. YOU DID!!! Congrats

SA and GC nothing?  I thought I saw those in the GC up there couple weeks ago.

rct

On 3/19/2020 at 7:09 AM, Filbert said:

... I had been after a P90 SG initially but specifically, I wanted a P90 SG Standard that had two pickups as well as the parallelogram fretboard inserts but I have been unable to find one. As far as I can tell, they were only made in 2016. This is the sort I mean:

Oh, yeah ... I get it.  Those SG Standards w/ P90s were killer.  When they were being phased out, you get one for $1000 with the HSC.  I just did not have the coin at the time.  I am pretty sure that they were made in 2012 and 2013, and then again in 2016.  There are some used ones now that show up from time to time.  

I really like your LPJ.  Nice git, bro.

Awesome! I recently picked one up, too. Picked mine up a couple of weeks ago. Mine is the single pickup one and cherry, though. Absolutely love mine! Guitar Center just opened in my area a couple of weeks ago and I went opening day, which was the 5th, and I picked up that Saturday. They had the two pickup version in red, too, but I wanted the single pickup one.  Someone snatched the 2 pickup one up, because it was gone by the time I went back to get mine that Saturday. But, like I said, I had my eye on the single P90 one.  I love mine and couldn't be happier! Mine was list at $550, but got it for $500.
F5phXP3.jpg

• Like 2