Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (Warning: NOT a Gibson...)

kidblast

2 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

I'm very curious to hear how that works out for you. That system was a good one for me on any non strumming passage. Anything I had to do some picking on was nice. I imagine the v-series somewhat calmer nature would be a real plus using this. My old 614CE had some impressive high volume sustain in the mids that could be tough to tame. The low end through the ES2 had it's moments as well, but could overload the Piezo in a hurry, far before the guitar ever showed signs of it happening. The only other real issue I had was modal ringing (room modes - acoustics). Sliding 2 feet helped until treating my room made it better.   

btw - The little set screws are adjustable to strengthen/lessen the pressure on the three piezo elements. It's like a truss rod adjustment in that a little bit goes a long ways.

Thanks PB!  

I went through the online doc stuff for the ES2,  I don't "hear" a need to change anything yet, but we're still on the first leg of the honey moon.

So far, it seems more balanced and smoother than any UST I've used, with the possible exception of the Anthem from LR Baggs.  (That sounded awesome until the preamp started to rattle like a freight car)

21 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

Looks to be a  real nice guitar from the photos.  Nice comfortable shape to play.  Nice vibe to it.  Happy pick’n and grinnin’ and songwriting with it!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

thx Jeff!!!  I am really happy with how it worked out so far...

12 hours ago, kidblast said:

so far,, knock on wood!  

ha!

Don’t knock on the guitar wood!😐

I like the Taylor ES2 battery compartment, so easy compared to various systems that get around, worst being the battery bagg stuck to neckblock, next worst the watch battery on the bottom of Baggs soundhole pickups! Maton not immune either - the newer Maton AP5-Pro pickup system uses 2 AA batteries that go in a plastic harness that slides into the pickup control panel....not for doing in a hurry! Stupidest of all is not guitar related but the watch battery on my digital vernier...yes, I got the most expensive one, not the cheapie, and I see there is no way to find how to find the battery compartment  without...gasp.....reading the little manual!😀

But the ES2 is not all apples....I read on some forum that the battery compartment for the ES2 was first designed using Duracell 9 Volt block batteries, which are smaller than other 9v blocks! I believe Taylor have remedied the situation recently, but if you peoples have an older Taylor ES2 and the new battery don’t fit, well, off to the shop for a Duracell! I had a similar situation with my D18e with inbuilt Aura F1+ .......... I bought some rechargeable 9vs that wouldn’t fit in the compartment! Rats!

Oh, KB, I think I told you before but I like the ES2 > Tonedexter with the character blend knob only just ON. If it was an Aura setting, it would be only 15-20%. Anyway just enough to give the ES2 some ‘mic’....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Congrats Kidblast.  That is a great looking guitar.  The 814ce is very versatile and the DLX features definitely bump the playability and aesthetics up a notch.  I respect the commitment that Taylor is making toward sustainability and environmental protection with their tone woods.  And Andy Powers seems to have taken guitar design and voicing to a new level.  Enjoy the honeymoon with that beauty!

KB...

I put my 717e BE ( name sounds like some kind of BMW limo!) into DADGAD yesterday......when I first bought the guitar, I mentioned that I thought it was more 'Lowden' than the J45 slope shoulder shape implied. It sounded good when I first did this but the guitar was too 'new', torrefied top or not. Not now!

Later I ran the guitar in DADGAD through Tonedexter file I have, added a touch or reverb and ... Voila!

DADGAD electrified through mic like sounds! (My Lowden O22 has no pickup and I fear drilling it but I occasionally slip a Sunrise pickup in it).

I bet your 814ce would be stunning in DADGAD!

BluesKing777.

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

KB...

I put my 717e BE ( name sounds like some kind of BMW limo!) into DADGAD yesterday......when I first bought the guitar, I mentioned that I thought it was more 'Lowden' than the J45 slope shoulder shape implied. It sounded good when I first did this but the guitar was too 'new', torrefied top or not. Not now!

Later I ran the guitar in DADGAD through Tonedexter file I have, added a touch or reverb and ... Voila!

DADGAD electrified through mic like sounds! (My Lowden O22 has no pickup and I fear drilling it but I occasionally slip a Sunrise pickup in it).

I bet your 814ce would be stunning in DADGAD!

BluesKing777.

I've already run through a hand full of alternate tunings, DADGAD being one.  and yes, it holds out just fine for these.  This really a great guitar.  Used it out yesterday for a  short session with the LB Artist, (Standard tuning of course).. it needs far less coaxing of the EQ to get a natural sound, I was plugged straight in than any of my other UST pickups.

btw,, I have read about the battery holder, I have a few hanging around, one is a new duracell and a few long life knock-off alkalines.  I'll see what the deal is there.   I checked the build date, and this particular guitar was built just 2 months ago, (June 4th according to the Serial #)  so not sure what remedy Taylor came up with for this.  But what ever it was or is, it is probably in this one.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:41 AM, Bozz said:

Congrats Kidblast.  That is a great looking guitar.  The 814ce is very versatile and the DLX features definitely bump the playability and aesthetics up a notch.  I respect the commitment that Taylor is making toward sustainability and environmental protection with their tone woods.  And Andy Powers seems to have taken guitar design and voicing to a new level.  Enjoy the honeymoon with that beauty!

Thx Bozz.  The arm bevel definitely makes a difference especially if you're planning to play for more than 30/40 minutes. That's about the time when the "Edge" on my other acoustics start to annoy me.  And I'm with you 100% with the sustainable woods and enviro conscious aspect of what they are doing .  From what I gather, Bob Taylor is 100% working the replanting and harvesting of the woods used.  Powers is now running the show for the builds.  

On July 31, 2020 at 6:26 AM, kidblast said:

I know, it's often heresy to post anything other than a Gibson here,  but this arrived on Wednesday.    Took me a few days to get around to getting the DSLR out.  

814CE DLX V Class.   Indian Rosewood back and sides, Sitka Spruce top. 

This thing is amazing!  The setup out of the box was great, needs nothing really.  It's effortless to play anywhere on the neck. 

The V Class bracing really seems to be a game changer.   This is the most musical and "alive" guitar I've ever owned.   Great intonation and sustain too.   For a small body (Grand Auditorium sized) there is lots of volume and well balanced, very "full" sounding with plenty of low end.   Fit and finish, absolutely flawless.  

Comparing this to my 2006 Grand Symphony which is a great sounding guitar, it just lacks an element of depth and focus that I'm hearing from the 814.

The DLX models has the arm bevel,  I definitely notice the absence of the "edge" where the forearm rests on a long session.

Pickup is the standard Taylor ES2 system.   It really does a good job of faithfully reproducing the primary tone of the guitar.  it's not an under saddle pickup, there's no quack anywhere in ear shot.

She's pretty photogenic too!

116597212_10214892714870908_177413369604

116611590_10214892714550900_195360285349

116604124_10214892714790906_152862603969

A very nice guitar indeed

13 hours ago, kidblast said:

I've already run through a hand full of alternate tunings, DADGAD being one.  and yes, it holds out just fine for these.  This really a great guitar.  Used it out yesterday for a  short session with the LB Artist, (Standard tuning of course).. it needs far less coaxing of the EQ to get a natural sound, I was plugged straight in than any of my other UST pickups.

btw,, I have read about the battery holder, I have a few hanging around, one is a new duracell and a few long life knock-off alkalines.  I'll see what the deal is there.   I checked the build date, and this particular guitar was built just 2 months ago, (June 4th according to the Serial #)  so not sure what remedy Taylor came up with for this.  But what ever it was or is, it is probably in this one.

Plugged direct to an amp, the ES2 has a 'pretty' sound, very good, handy to have the controls which actually work - but not a sound what I like - Tonedexter rules OK 😁...

And the battery compartment - I think they made it bigger (so the smaller Duracell rattles!). I put on another thread that they should invent a guitar with a 'door' for a back...you know, a couple of hinges and a handle plus a strip to keep the air and water out! Change battery? Just open the door! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Plugged direct to an amp, the ES2 has a 'pretty' sound, very good, handy to have the controls which actually work - but not a sound what I like - Tonedexter rules OK 😁...

And the battery compartment - I think they made it bigger (so the smaller Duracell rattles!). I put on another thread that they should invent a guitar with a 'door' for a back...you know, a couple of hinges and a handle plus a strip to keep the air and water out! Change battery? Just open the door! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

ah  so maybe it is that my 2017 514CE NY has the new one already.  Cuz guess what rattles?  I wrap a piece of black electrician tape around it, and that stops that.

I love the tonedexter, and it works it's magic quite well on my acoustic herd.  I haven't had a lot of killing time since this arrived, but creating a wave map is high on the list.

for all the taylor contraptions for the built in pickups I don't mind this one.  Don't like barn doors and the AA battery fitting for the ES1 was not all that great either.

57 minutes ago, kidblast said:

ah  so maybe it is that my 2017 514CE NY has the new one already.  Cuz guess what rattles?  I wrap a piece of black electrician tape around it, and that stops that.

I love the tonedexter, and it works it's magic quite well on my acoustic herd.  I haven't had a lot of killing time since this arrived, but creating a wave map is high on the list.

for all the taylor contraptions for the built in pickups I don't mind this one.  Don't like barn doors and the AA battery fitting for the ES1 was not all that great either.

Ha!

Of course it is a rattler! The Laws of Murph! (Where is Murph?).

Anyway you will have to look on AGF for the batteries which use to not fit...and now probably won’t rattle! Last time I looked, the AGF had lost its search bar.....true!

BluesKing777.

13 hours ago, kidblast said:

yea  search bar  not there any more..

There's a drop down on the bar that says search then if you go to one of the forums there's a drop down that says 'Search This Forum'. I just looked.

I've had a few Taylors. Love them when I get them but I loose interest after a few years. I currently have an NS72-CE. A classical cedar top.

Edited by Dave F

7 hours ago, Dave F said:

There's a drop down on the bar that says search then if you go to one of the forums there's a drop down that says 'Search This Forum'. I just looked.

I've had a few Taylors. Love them when I get them but I loose interest after a few years. I currently have an NS72-CE. A classical cedar top.

you're right!  it was there all along..

I have never tired of my 2006 Grand Symphony, or the Nylon 514 from three years back.  I don't love my J200 any less, it's still one hell of a guitar and it will remain with me for ever.

this 814 really is the bomb though..

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Murph got mugged by a trollish member here. Might have been over in The Lounge: on the politics of pandemics I believe.  He got disgusted and packed it in.  He will be missed.  Troll still steaming along.  

Murph is alive on the AGF.

I see him there often.  More activity, not a lot of trolls and not a lot of rock fights that go very far.

sorry not trying to be downer but things here are different, still a nice place to hang but,, different..

Edited by kidblast

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

Murph is alive on the AGF.

I see him there often.  More activity, not a lot of trolls and not a lot of rock fights that go very far.

sorry not trying to be downer but things here are different, still a nice place to hang but,, different..

Lots of the old guard here gone. But not forgotten .

38 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Lots of the old guard here gone. But not forgotten .

There seem to be a lot of newbs  here since JC took over the helm. But how many times can we read - what does my serial number mean, what strings are the best, what pick should I use, should I buy a LP, who makes Gibson's strings, how much is my guitar worth I don't want to sell it just curious, what pickups should I get, this model vs that model.

And now the answers to the questions

1. Gibson doesn't even know what their serial numbers mean how are we supposed to. They change how it is done every few years.

2. The best strings are the one that sound good on your guitar to you. Try everything out there and you will figure it out.

3. Same as about just insert the word pick for strings.

4. Yes you should, which one I have no clue there are a lot of different models, but I hear '59 Standard's are really good.

5. ?

6. Your guitar is worth on that day what you are willing to sell it for and what someone is willing to pay for it. Or look at similar stuff on Reverb or call Gruhn's.

7. If you get an acoustic you don't need a pickup that is what the big hole is for, but maybe a real PAF if you can find one, or Lindey Fralins are nice.

8. Put them in a cage and let them duke it out, or the one that sounds better to you. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 10:31 PM, kidblast said:

yea  search bar  not there any more..

The 'search bar' I meant use to be at the bottom of the pages, for a while lately, I think it was a Google bar. It was always quite easy and powerful. For example, if you wanted to look up Gibson LG3, you just typed in...ha...Gibson LG3 and  anything to do with Gibson LG3 in the history of AGF came up in a list! And you didn't have to log in and do all that hard search stuff.😵😵😵

It, the search results, may have been the sum total of my knowledge of say...Gibson LG3.[biggrin]

Fore example: "Buy one, you will love it" or Don't buy it, they stink" or "What is that?"

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

20 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Murph got mugged by a trollish member here. Might have been over in The Lounge: on the politics of pandemics I believe.  He got disgusted and packed it in.  He will be missed.  Troll still steaming along.  

If that's the thread that caused Murph to leave, he was not mugged.  He was pushing politics, as he was periodically known to do, and it devolved into a pathetic pissing match.  I contacted one of the moderators and asked him to look at what was happening, and he locked it.  Whatever might have occurred after that is unknown to me, but plain & simple, political discussions are supposed to be out of bounds per forum rules, and the moderators needed to do their job on this one.

3 hours ago, bobouz said:

If that's the thread that caused Murph to leave, he was not mugged.  He was pushing politics, as he was periodically known to do, and it devolved into a pathetic pissing match.  I contacted one of the moderators and asked him to look at what was happening, and he locked it.  Whatever might have occurred after that is unknown to me, but plain & simple, political discussions are supposed to be out of bounds per forum rules, and the moderators needed to do their job on this one.

Discussing the blur between  'science' and  'politics' during a pandemic -  that has resulted in what is now a 6 month lockdown  - is inevitably  going to spill over into The Lounge, , because it is the most prevalent topic in forums,  families,  job sites and every other place we congregate.  Vitriolic, ad hominem attacks are inappropriate,  of course.   You suggest Murph was 'pushing politics'. and as a result others turned the thread into something very  inappropriate.   Decades of comments here from him, starting when he was  "Murphy Slaw"  have never been offensive.  So,  I doubt that 'whatever might have occurred after that ' resulted in his suspension.  Glad you were able to help enforce  the 'No Politics' guideline and get the moderators to do their job.  But I doubt it was the simple locking of a thread that caused Murph to leave.   Several have been locked in The Lounge in the past months.  It was probably the same pathetic  pixxing comments that you disagreed with.  Except they were directed at him.   Members who leave, too many of them,  usually do it because they were personally attacked.  Sort of like "Cancel  Culture".    I think he was the victim her.  IE.  the muggee, not the mugger.   🙂

Whoa, almost two full pages of comments.   You often do not see that many on Gibson threads.  Seems to me it is evidence of a pandemic of another sort.  But I do enjoy the "there are other guitars than Gibsons" threads as long as they are posted by those who own and play Gibsons.  If nothing else  it is interesting to see what other guitars Gibson freaks are attracted to .  And I want to also offer a big shout out to ya'll for refusing to enter the realm occupied by the soundhole sniffers and those who have drank too deeply from the Tone Wood Kool Aid.   

Yep, hijakked poor KB’s threadaroonie about a Taylor, haven’t we?

But I have said it here before when talking about my fully lambasted evil ones x 3 which set off many mouths to frothing vile stuffs - how do we know what is good, bad or indifferent if we only have one guitar. Viva la houseful!!! Different guitars and different ideas have lead me to all kinds of tunes....and tunings!

I did sniff the old L-0 soundhole and it smelled like a dogturd, honest!

BluesKing777.