Gibson Brands Forums

What do you use to create your unique Sound..

mihcmac

It depends on what Band I'm playing with, what Genre's, Covers, or Originals,.. Depends what Guitars are called for & what Amps I'm using.. 

I try not to use many if any Pedals.. I really like getting the Sound from the Guitar's, the Tube Amp's & me as much as possible.. 

The Pedals I have on my Board are Janglebox, Boss Tuner, TS808, Fender 64 Reverb, Boss Digital Delay & Keeley Double Tracker... That's it. Isle them sparingly....

• Like 1

I run stereo, Marshall JTM60-2x12 w/2x12 cab under it.  Fender Hot Rod Deville (4x10)

Guitar goes to a Vox Wah (Clyde McCoy version), then to the pedal board with compressor -> tone bone classic -> burn unit -> Fulltone OCD -> Blackstar Dual HT.

the marshall has a Line 6 DL4 and MM4 in the loop, the Deville has a Line 6 Echo Park.

I use the Deville Gain channel for lead boost which gives me tons of head room for that.

I can use the marshalls "gain"" while running the deville clean as well,  the definition and clarity of that setup is spectacular.

Sounds complicated, but I can get just about any sound I need.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Line 6 POD HD400

Any clean amp

fingers or V Pick Psycho 

Damn Merc that pick is 4 feet thick. I am a wuss and on my Blue Chips I have to special request a 35, which is the thinnest they go, and is a .9mm. On my V-picks I use the Ultra Light or the Tremolo's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn Merc that pick is 4 feet thick. I am a wuss and on my Blue Chips I have to special request a 35, which is the thinnest they go, and is a .9mm. On my V-picks I use the Ultra Light or the Tremolo's.

🙂 I have to use something like that for quick alternating picking. It has to have points and it mustn't flex. If it wasn't for that one technique I'd still be using Gibson black picks with a bit of give in them. In fact I do still use them for rhythm playing. 

• Like 1

So briefly I am using, Jazz III picks on my P90 Epiphones, 2-15 watt SR tube amps, an RK5 with Vox Wah, including a Chorus and Delay in the effects loop.

I had a whole bunch of other stuff written here but decided to summarize..

Thanks everyone for sharing what you are using to get your sound!

Edited by mihcmac

6 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I'm surprised that you never plug your acoustic into an amp or mic it into a PA?

Um, there acoustic and only have one big hole where the sound comes out. I will never drill into a perfectly good acoustic or buy one  with pre-installed electronics and a jack.  Plus I'm a bedroom rockstar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Um, there acoustic and only have one big hole where the sound comes out. I will never drill into a perfectly good acoustic or buy one  with pre-installed electronics and a jack.  Plus I'm a bedroom rockstar.

I hope you get to play in a pub sometime with a good sound system..

3 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

How do you know you suck until you have heard what the sound guy can do for you?

Cause I can't play worth a s-hit. I play for me. I struggle for hours to learn what probably takes most minutes. Been trying to get the beginning of Norwegian Wood right for ever. And I have been trying to perfect Blackbird for ages. As much as I love Zappa, I look at his stuff and cry. He was so F-in good.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Actually I play in my Man-cave. Its got my stereo, vinyl and cd's, and my 5 guitars. 

I think you are a lot better than you make yourself out to be..

Edited by mihcmac

Unique sound? Involves my fingers as well as the gear.

Valve amp for me and usually one effect at a time.  Must have a good clean sound as loud as allowed so the notes have some sustain and power.   Boost, OD, Vibrato/Trem, occasional chorus or delay on specific songs.  Comp at front of chain, mostly unused.

Going to redo pedalboard.

• Like 1

I own a lot of guitars and amps and gear, and the very notion of 'my unique sound' gives me pause. 
The gear is the gear, and it is a collection of beloved tools to achieve a creative end. 

If I have a unique sound, it's that, no matter what the venue, the set-up, the audience, the band-mates, and the song, I want it to sound great from beginning to end. 

I want each band member to do the right things at the right time, and I want the vocal harmonies to be beautiful and head-turning. 
I want my guitar to bring fun, entertainment, richness, melody, crunch, swing, and punch, neither buried in the mix nor too loud and glaring. 

I guess the answer to what do I use to create my unique sound is....     practice and rehearsal. 
Preparation. 

😏

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1

My coffeehouse and winery setup consists of a good mic/cable.  Don’t recall the mic name., but it ran $80 or so.  Anyway, my amp is a 50watt Roland XP Street Cube.  For music in the park gigs I have a Yamaha StagePas with 150watts.  I never use any effects.  I try to stay as close to a straight acoustic sound as I can while still being heard.  If I have a unique sound, it’s probably my playing technique.  My music is almost always a mix of partial strums, bass runs, single notes, arpeggios, slides, hammer-one and pull-offs.  I half-mute a lot of the notes and end-up with a kind of hallow sound..   I mix-in instrumental versions  of the song as I’m singing it.  I’m likely just below being adequate at what I do, but I have a lot of fun doing what I do.

• Like 2

I started playing in 1962, played my first paying gig in 1964, I sucked at the time but so did most of the other players. 20 years later I didn't suck quite so bad, my hands were a lot better trained and my equipment was improving, I had an Ampeg V4 that I thought put out a unique sound because it didn't sound at all like a Fender or a Marshall with my humbucking powered Silver Fox feeding it. I was having a blast, my hands were working and I enjoyed the equipment I had..

I think that if you love playing your guitar, other people will enjoy hearing you play it...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1