Gibson Brands Forums

One Step Closer

SteveFord

It's good to know the bucket list changes as I guess when it's full you have to kick it?

No pics, nothing to show yet.  No Holy Grail type thing, just something that caught my eye and made me stop as it reminded me of something I stupidly sold in my 20s.  When the buyer left with the guitar I just felt like such an idiot.  The money went, the guitar was gone and that was the end of that.

Boy, Guitar Center sure is stupid.

Yeah, one store has 3 in inventory, we'll get you one that's still boxed up.

Oh, they had inventory problems, we're getting a new one sent from somewhere else.  It's going to the store and then they're sending it to you.

No, I don't see anything being sent to us, I'll get one coming here...

It's a GC exclusive and I wanted to buy new but maybe that was not the way to go.

Well that sucks - get fired up for a new guitar, place the order and then just get jacked around by Guitar Center.  They do pretty much suck.  Unfortunately for a lot of us they are about the only option of a place where you can go in and play several different guitars of the same model with variations (well if it's a Les Paul, Strat, or Tele anyway - they usually have several of those).

That is about the only thing I miss about not living in the Chicago area any longer.  I had about 5 Guitar Centers, 2 or 3 Sam Ash stores, Chicago Music Exchange, Sound Post and a few other good shops all less than an hour from my house.  Thankfully I discovered Sweetwater through this forum and they have provided almost everything I've wanted since I moved down here to SC. 

32 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Well that sucks - get fired up for a new guitar, place the order and then just get jacked around by Guitar Center.  They do pretty much suck.  Unfortunately for a lot of us they are about the only option of a place where you can go in and play several different guitars of the same model with variations (well if it's a Les Paul, Strat, or Tele anyway - they usually have several of those).

That is about the only thing I miss about not living in the Chicago area any longer.  I had about 5 Guitar Centers, 2 or 3 Sam Ash stores, Chicago Music Exchange, Sound Post and a few other good shops all less than an hour from my house.  Thankfully I discovered Sweetwater through this forum and they have provided almost everything I've wanted since I moved down here to SC. 

The Guitar Center in North Myrtle, SC is a joke. Every acoustic over $1200 is locked up and you have to ask a sales associate to pull an electric off the wall to play as the electrics are roped off.

It was nothing really special, well in a way it was as it was a Les Paul Special, the 2019 w/ P90s in honeyburst.

For a couple of hundred bucks more you can get a much nicer used guitar so I'm not too heartbroken.   My new Firebird was a little over $500 more and you get a case that will withstand a nuclear blast and it's a much better instrument so whatever.

Right now I'm going to play the crap out of that TV Yellow Special and break it in a bit.  Last night the G string sliced through a callous so it has that new guitar feel to it!

8 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It was nothing really special, well in a way it was as it was a Les Paul Special, the 2019 w/ P90s in honeyburst.

For a couple of hundred bucks more you can get a much nicer used guitar so I'm not too heartbroken.   My new Firebird was a little over $500 more and you get a case that will withstand a nuclear blast and it's a much better instrument so whatever.

Right now I'm going to play the crap out of that TV Yellow Special and break it in a bit.  Last night the G string sliced through a callous so it has that new guitar feel to it!

You cant be the only this has happened to. GC obviously need a new broom. A good opportunity for someone, coz inventory doesn't seem like an awful lot to put right. 

You'll get more chances in the bye & bye Steve.

They have their problems, all right.

The way it works is if it's not in their warehouse they go through a list of dealers who show the item in stock.  Nope, next nope next...

Are they just not capable of doing inventory correctly or are the places being robbed blind?  Probably both.

Here's my two experiences with GC, though I've never seen or been in one. They both involved small bod used Martins at bargain pricing. Believe it or not, the guitars were good deals. I found them after finding pricing on Reverb a little high, by googling the model where  GC's ad pop up. The guitars were both in midwest understaffed stores, and when I contacted them I got salespeople that were completely unschooled in what to look for, so very few of my questions were answered. Both salespeople fell back on the point of hassle free returns, complete with 20 dollar return label, which made it a great short term tryout. Both were good guitars, so I got out of it with 2 nice underpriced Martins.

• Thanks 1

They are either really good or just horrible, I think the big part is high turnover with the staff.

I've purchased three guitars and one amp from them,  the amp was damaged in transit but they replaced the open box amp with a brand new one, no charge.  The guitars have all been really good as were the prices.  I look at them as being a department store that sells musical instruments.  The people who work there have all been really helpful but they come and they go all the time.

I bought 4 guitars from them. The 12 string had a wrapped neck which they took back and gave me a new one without any problems. Employees do seem to come and go a lot. Many have no clue whats going on. So I gave them up. They do have the best selections in both Electric and acoustic. Nothing is roped off or locked up here though. I can play which ever one I want without asking. I still like Dietze, better and they will let me take home any guitar I want and try it out. They just couldn't produce my last guitar and since GC had one, I had to go with them. 

The biggest problem they have is an archaic, DOS 4.0 based company wide inventory system that from what I've seen, and I don't work there, is just awful.  Because it is so clunky and cludgey the managers don't get it updated very well at all.  Our local guys have talked at me about coming to work there and just doing the inventory system because I'm basically an old operating system guy, so it doesn't scare me.  But man, I just can't see dealing with that lump of poop all day every day.  And they seem to have no intention whatsoever of changing it any time soon.  

rct