Gibson Brands Forums

Buying advice

Rabs

21 hours ago, Rabs said:

Cheer for that man...

Well I have played a few 336s in my time.. Each one was a completely stunning instrument in every way... So I know I like that neck as I do my other slim tapered guitars..  One of mine is a DC Special so I know about upper access..  The thing for me is on a fat neck its playing chords which is the issue, cramps my hand after a while. 

I had a Gary Moore BFG once and totally loved the guitar but it had a fat 50s neck and then some so I sold it in the end. If I had been making guitars at the time I probably would have kept it and just shaved the neck down myself.

So I know I dont like bigger necks.

A big part of me says to wait and see if Gibson produce any more 336s cos thats the one I really want BUT the GAS in me is itching bad...   🙂 and says to me that the 356 may be my last chance to get one... I mean look at this.

boIrJyU.jpg

If I were to decide to get it I would of course have to go an try it.. But its a long way to go just to find out the neck is too big for me. Which is why  I ask on here.

That is a beautiful guitar Rabs. Can't help you too much as you know what you can play and not.  Most all my guitars now are slim necks and I love them. My 12 string being the exception and I can handle l that just fine. When I first started out being 13, I had some wide necks and they were more difficult to play but it just took a lot more practice and they played fine. Still had a special love for the thin neck. One thing I did find was that the wide neck was much easier for me to get my fat fingers in there without hitting the other strings. To me, theres pluses and cons with both. Slim necks, I tend to press the next sting that I don't want to hit. 

Hey Rabs - glad to hear you are in a position to finally get a 336 or 356.  I had a 336 (I think I recall offering to sell it to you, but overseas shipping would have been an issue as it was at the height of the CITES issues).  I stumbled onto mine looking for a cheap Epi Dot semi.  I picked it up in the guitar shop and couldn't put it down.  A couple days later I traded a mint ES175, and a Strat and some cash just to get it.  That was in 2002.  Pretty sure it was a slim taper neck and '57 Classic pickups.

mADYOwv.jpg

In 2017 over on the ES side of this forum I fell in love with a 356 that Clayville had posted.  I started looking around for one and the only one I could find was at Guitar Center's warehouse.  I sold my 336 and ordered the 356.  Really no good reason for the swap except the 356 had more bling and the natural maple top with the caramel colored mahogany body was just the perfect combination and I couldn't resist it.  Not sure if it has a slim taper or a medium C neck, but I never felt much if any difference between them.  Mine has the Richlite board, and there is nothing wrong with that, it plays great and feels good to me.  Mine has gold hardware as well, but you won't have to swap any of that out as eventually it will wear off anyway.  I don't care for the black speed knobs on the one you're considering, I think it needs amber witch hats with pointers, but of course that is up to you.

RKnKRPk.jpg

So all I can tell you is DO IT.  You'll never regret it.  Both models are pretty hard to find, Gibson doesn't make very many in any given year.  A medium C neck is not that much different than a slim taper, and every Gibson neck is hand shaped so you never know anyway regardless of a spec sheet.  The sound of a 356 is so wonderful that you will quickly forget it may not be the neck you think you need.  Just go play it and don't pass up the opportunity - it could be years before you find another one, and this one looks like a beauty.  DO IT, DO IT, DO IT NOW!!

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

So all I can tell you is DO IT.  You'll never regret it.  Both models are pretty hard to find, Gibson doesn't make very many in any given year.  A medium C neck is not that much different than a slim taper, and every Gibson neck is hand shaped so you never know anyway regardless of a spec sheet.  The sound of a 356 is so wonderful that you will quickly forget it may not be the neck you think you need.  Just go play it and don't pass up the opportunity - it could be years before you find another one, and this one looks like a beauty.  DO IT, DO IT, DO IT NOW!!

Cheers man..  Yes I remember the natural one very much...  Its good to hear from someone who has owned both..  But as you say, all necks are a bit different as we all know..  So I will have to go and check it out.  Just a couple of things to get done the next couple of days.. Then I can hopefully jump on it [thumbup]

I am a bit torn though.. My taste is pretty simple and the blingyness of the 356 is more than I would normally go for..  Thus why I am thinking maybe to replace the hardware for chrome or nickel... It will tone it down a bit as such.. I love the block inlays and all the binding so it would I think make it perfect for me. 

Arrrg.. I just went on to the site of the shop where this guitar is, and 

In line with the Governments recent announcement, our Brighton stores will now be closed to the public.

Thwarted 😞  So no trying it out for me I guess which means I either get it sent or go and collect it myself anyway as they are doing a collect or delivery service...

Hmmm...

(or I put a deposit down and wait till I can go and try it?)

Edited by Rabs
  • Confused 1

GAK.  

They've got an ES-139 still advertised which is B-stock.  I like the look of it - the price a bit high but there aren't many of them. 

Well maybe if I don't get the 330L....

There are so many guitars out there....[smile]

I still like this too - bargain!  Very tempted, great price!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_custom_ii_active_vi_b_stock.htm?sid=eabf3bfa04c0953976ef19be2e9d25b9

Edited by jdgm

5 minutes ago, jdgm said:

GAK.  

They've got an ES-139 still advertised which is B-stock.  I like the look of it - the price a bit high but there aren't many of them. 

Well maybe if I don't get the 330L....

There are so many guitars out there....[smile]

I still like this too - bargain!  Very tempted, great price!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_custom_ii_active_vi_b_stock.htm?sid=eabf3bfa04c0953976ef19be2e9d25b9

Not many that I want it seems  🙂  But then its always specifically a 336 type guitar I wanted and they just dont make many of them.  If I wanted a 335 or 339 I can find them easy enough...

I do find it incredible how cheap they can sell their guitars for at HB... Really dont know how they do it.

I have seen a 336 here and there in some European shops but am not sure about going through all the import rigmarole.. Especially with Brexit looming... In saying that, it may be a very good time to pick up a guitar like this before we leave and the s**t hits the fan.

• Like 1

What’s the return policy like at the place? I never liked the idea of buying a guitar online but that changed for me this year. If they have a good return policy then there’s not much risk and it’s easier than all that driving. 

Are you able to see pics of the actual guitar? 

13 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

What’s the return policy like at the place? I never liked the idea of buying a guitar online but that changed for me this year. If they have a good return policy then there’s not much risk and it’s easier than all that driving. 

Yeah, I am sure it will all be fine...  And I will call them tomorrow just to make sure its actually in stock and ask them some questions.

10 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

That's a good point. When I was looking for Ric 650s, there were none in the South. I had never played one & didn't know if I would like it.

I used review sites to check out the shop I was considering. I then checked out the returns policy before speaking to them. They offered collection service to cover a return. This was attractive because they retain the insured liability for loss/damage etc. It was £30, but it was worth it to try the guitar out. Certainly better than the 10-11 hour round trip to Middlesbrough. 

Its worth checking out I reckon.

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's a good point. When I was looking for Ric 650s, there were none in the South. I had never played one & didn't know if I would like it.

I used review sites to check out the shop I was considering. I then checked out the returns policy before speaking to them. They offered collection service to cover a return. This was attractive because they retain the insured liability for loss/damage etc. It was £30, but it was worth it to try the guitar out. Certainly better than the 10-11 hour round trip to Middlesbrough. 

Its worth checking out I reckon.

Well I called the shop today..  Their web site was wrong. They are open now but just haven't updated the site yet.

Which is cool... I think theres always a 14 day return period by law anyway so I dont think thats an issue and they are a fairly reputable dealer.

My main issue at the moment is with the idiot dwarves at gringotts.  Man.. ... Until thats sorted I cant really do anything anyway and at this point it could be another week.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rabs said:

My main issue at the moment is with the idiot dwarves at gringotts.  Man.. ... Until thats sorted I cant really do anything anyway and at this point it could be another week.

I 'm out of step here. That's just whooshed straight over my head [confused] 

I'm wondering 'Bank' - 'Government' - 'Royal Mail'

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I 'm out of step here. That's just whooshed straight over my head [confused] 

I'm wondering 'Bank' - 'Government' - 'Royal Mail'

No.. Its the bank...  I was just humouring Mr RCT and his Harry Potter fetish  🙂

Its all to do with my fathers passing and the bank not doing a single thing they have been told in the last few years... I have spent like 10 hours on the phone to them the last week or so.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Down there at Harry Potter Land in Universal Florida they have a really nice Gringott's.   You go in and look at stuff and there's three or four of the old dwarves somewhat elevated up on their tables working figures.  Really well done animatronics.  

If you stand in front of them long enough the head counter will look up and ask you, gruffly, just what it is you want.  I always use my favorite Theme Park question, I've been using forever:

"What time is the 3 o'clock parade?"

The counters all grumble and the head guy just huffs and waves me away, sometimes he orders me out.  It's a hoot every time.  Mrs rolls her eyes then we go drink Butter Beer until we feel sick.

rct

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2020 at 10:58 PM, jdgm said:

....I've just put in a bid on this but  - I don't expect to win -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Gibson-ES-330-Humbucker-With-Factory-Bigsby-ES335/264965107508?hash=item3db126af34:g:BycAAOSwMJZflZi0

More than nice.  I'll let you know but think it will go for well over £2k.  Dammit.

Apologies for a thread hijack.

Withdrew/cancelled my bid for the 330 today.  Lovely guitar but I cannot afford it right now.  Reality check.

One of these Harley-Bentons is more likely. :-k

LP shape = £179

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_l1000_vb_progressive_line.htm

LTD shape = £221, Grover tuners, smooth heel, different size control and battery compartments, "Made In Vietnam" on back of headstock,  a little slimmer

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_custom_ii_active_vintage_bk.htm

Weirdly, the LP shaped one has LTD-style fretboard inlays and the LTD one has LP-style inlays; hmm?

Both have active pickups - I never had a guitar with actives and I'd like one just for the hell of it, plus at those prices I could even buy both for exactly £400 inc shipping!!

But...the brutal truth is....I have enough guitars....[wink]

denied.jpg

Edited by jdgm
  • Haha 2

Well there is at least, I guess finally a conclusion here..

Got all the stuff I needed to get sorted out today (finally)..

Went on the site.. Its sold   😞   Booooo     

I know, not exactly a big issues in a world full of big issues but, bugger!!

Oh well.. The search, I guess continues.

48 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Don't worry, I am sure the one you want will come up sooner or later - but you may have to buy from ebay.

5 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Don't worry, I am sure the one you want will come up sooner or later - but you may have to buy from ebay.

Yeah I know..  Its just annoying...  Had it been still available I probably would have bought it this evening..  Oh well...

18 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Actually either that or do what I did last time Gibson stopped making the guitar I wanted.. Its what started this whole luthier thing for me.

Make my own one  😄 

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rabs said:

Sorry it didn't come together for you this time. [sad]

I was just thinking, despite the present restrictions, there must be plenty of guitar stores close to you. Why not check out a 339, if only for reference?

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Sorry it didn't come together for you this time. [sad]

I was just thinking, despite the present restrictions, there must be plenty of guitar stores close to you. Why not check out a 339, if only for reference?

Thanks man..
And yes.. Thats exactly what I did today  🙂  Problem being theres only two big local shops to go to...

One of the main ones (PMT), they said that they havent had much from Gibson due to the virus and stuff and even less from the ES division...   This is their current stock of Gibsons (and not all of them are Gibsons)

R6AQonR.jpg

Then I was looking at Gretsch.. They had some nice ones, but its just not what I want

JKMxaxQ.jpg

GE8t5x1.jpg

Then I went to the second shop...  Same story

This time I was checking out their Ibanez's..  Again.. Some nice stuff but its not really what I want

SJjyZGx.jpg

WrOWVm5.jpg

So yeah... No luck anywhere really...  I have found a second hand 336..  But am considering what to do about it  🙂