Gibson Brands Forums

I did a (minor cosmetic mod) thing

Brian Krashpad

I did a thing! For Gibsunday Eve.

This Gibson SGJ came with 490 pickups with weird black plastic covers, which are infamously difficult, if not impossible, to remove. They looked like EMGs, ugh (stock photo):

Rbc2a7acf7b13338e5faa4bcc1eea53d6?rik=6n

So I bought Bobbin Toppers, to give the appearance of open coils. Slapped 'em right on top of the black plastic  covers.  Still, the holes for the pole pieces showed the black covers underneath. So, it still looked weird, albeit less so.

11255773314_ff39ae4412_b.jpg

Our silver pen, that had gone missing, was finally discovered recently by Mrs. K, so today I painted in the holes in the Bobbin Toppers silver! Now it looks... somewhat less weird. I'll take that!

152046182_10158955329233879_915648093116

Our opinions are all over the place, which is to be expected. 

I, for one, love the original look. 
Stark contrast of black and white, sublime. 
And I'm not a fan of the SG pick guards, at all, so the naked, unadorned look was right up my alley. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 

🤔

Dig the pickguard. Not so much with the fake pickup covers. Kind of reminds me of some the modern Triumph motorcycles where in 2008 they switched them over to fuel injection, but still kept fake carburetors to retain the old-school look. 

If it was me I'd keep that pickguard and drop in some SD Seth Lovers and call it a day.