Gibson Brands Forums

Banner J-45 song

Lars68

I've been working hard recently to improve a song I wrote a while back. I wonder if you could be so kind and have a listen and give some constructive feedback regarding possible weak points, or what might already work well enough?

The song is recorded on my old 1942 J-45, which is perhaps my most treasured material possession. A truly wonderful guitar, and one I hope to be worthy of one day...

Lars

Edited by Lars68
  • Like 2

The guitar is recorded very well and sounds great by the way.  But the vocals I think need to be a little more up front.  I know my  70 year old ears don't work like they used to, but I just couldn't quite make out all the lyrics.  "May each passing mile help my ........something, something, something."  So overall I would just try to clean up the mix a little.

16 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

The guitar is recorded very well and sounds great by the way.  But the vocals I think need to be a little more up front.  I know my  70 year old ears don't work like they used to, but I just couldn't quite make out all the lyrics.  "May each passing mile help my ........something, something, something."  So overall I would just try to clean up the mix a little.

Thanks for your feedback! The lyrics are ”may each passing mile help my soul awake.” I'm very insecure about my singing as far as tone and pitch, so I have tendency to keep it down in mixes. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Lars 

5 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Thanks for your feedback! The lyrics are ”may each passing mile help my soul awake.” I'm very insecure about my singing as far as tone and pitch, so I have tendency to keep it down in mixes. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Lars 

I do that too.  I find everyone appreciates it ! 

Good Job !   Carry On ! 

VERY nice job! It is a thoughtful song and a really nice melody. As others have noted ,I'd bring the vocals up, and as I've mentioned on your stuff before, sing with confidence. You do a fine job. If anything, I'd edit out a few words here and there to give your voice some breathing room (literally and figuratively) but that's just one guy's opinion.

Keep at it. You have a lot to offer, and we enjoy it.