Gibson Brands Forums

Sad day

Guitar God

2 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Aww... Sorry to hear that... I know the pain... Always a sad day, they become as much a part of the family as any other member.

It's sad they don't live as long as we do.  But, at least he lived to be 18 and had a great life with my brother.

15 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

It's sad they don't live as long as we do.  But, at least he lived to be 18 and had a great life with my brother.

Thats all we can do for them... Give them lots of love and fun and scratches..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabs said:

Thats all we can do for them... Give them lots of love and fun and scratches..

For real, man! My brother gave him a fantastic life. I have had dogs that have passed and I still grieve and miss them.  Especially my first Newfoundland, Zeus, who was with me from the age of 10 until a couple months before I turned 23. He passed in January of 2015. I have even had a couple of crazy, unexplainable dreams about him after he passed that I woke up from both times with tears in my eyes.  Here is a picture of him a few months before he passed with my oldest Boston Terrier, George, when he was a puppy. Zeus was that gentle.
gDvzjkT.jpg

Just now, Guitar God said:

For real, man! My brother gave him a fantastic life. I have had dogs that have passed and I still grieve and miss them.  Especially my first Newfoundland, Zeus, who was with me from the age of 10 until a couple months before I turned 23. He passed in January of 2015. I have even had a couple of crazy, unexplainable dreams about him after he passed that I woke up from both times with tears in my eyes.  Here is a picture of him a few months before he passed with my oldest Boston Terrier, George, when he was a puppy. Zeus was that gentle.
gDvzjkT.jpg

Another picture of Zeus. 
3ehMmYv.jpg

My condolences. They do become part of the family don’t they? I once read a dog’s only fault is their short life. And I’m a dog guy. Have a German Shepard and another mix of something or other. They are part of our family no doubt and we try to give them the best lives they can get. 

• Like 1

A couple of days after our Lab passed in January,  I found a little toy Lab dog  and toy Barbie's hairbrush on the floor in the kids playroom which had been 100% cleaned up for weeks without any of our grandkids visiting.   No other toys - just those two.  His 2 favorite things were eating and  getting brushed.  Our German Shepherd died unexpectedly 4 days after he did.   There's suppose to be Five Stages of Grieving .  

7 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Another picture of Zeus. 
3ehMmYv.jpg

ZEUS?  Ha!

My brother in law, who lost his wife of 63 years in 2020 on his 85th birthday, also lost his Jack Russell also named Zeus a short two months later.   [crying]

I know the feeling too.  A few weeks after moving into the house I'm in now ( in 2011) our 15 year ol Shih-Tzu Chrissy had to be put down.  And then in 2014 our 14 year old Shih-Tzu Megan passed.  

They're both buried side by side in my backyard.  

So, you have my most sincere condolences.  Pets are much more than mere accessories around the house.

Whitefang

Sorry for your brothers🥵loss. I remember when you lost Zeus.  18 years is pretty good for a dog though depending on its size, miniature dogs live a lot longer than large dogs.  Yeah, I lose it each time I loose a dog. I don't know how much longer I'll get with mine. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:02 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is sad. That dog had a killer pomp-a-doo. 18 is a long time with a pooch.

We have a 13 or so year old Cocker Spaniel and he is slowing down.

I feel ya. My Yellow Lab is my oldest of my 5 dogs right now and he's 11 1/2.  Yeah, 18 is a very long time! Had a great long life with my brother. Speaking of that age, I once ran into a lady with a beautiful Rottweiler pup a few years back and over heard her talking about Chihuahuas with someone and heard her say she knew someone who had a Chihuahua that was 22 and I interrupted and said, "Are you serious? Wow!" and she said, "Yeah! That breed came live up to 25 years if taken care of properly." and I was like, "Wow!". I think the lady with the Rottweiler pup said she used to breed Chihuahuas if I remember right. 

On 3/18/2021 at 8:55 AM, fortyearspickn said:

A couple of days after our Lab passed in January,  I found a little toy Lab dog  and toy Barbie's hairbrush on the floor in the kids playroom which had been 100% cleaned up for weeks without any of our grandkids visiting.   No other toys - just those two.  His 2 favorite things were eating and  getting brushed.  Our German Shepherd died unexpectedly 4 days after he did.   There's suppose to be Five Stages of Grieving .  

Dang, I'm sorry. I have a 11 1/2 Yellow Lab right now.  He's the oldest of my 5 dogs.  He's a big baby.  Man, I know the feeling of loosing two dogs that quick. 2 or 3 weeks after I lost my first Newfoundland due to cancer, I lost my Shih Tzu/Bichon mix.  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:48 AM, Whitefang said:

ZEUS?  Ha!

My brother in law, who lost his wife of 63 years in 2020 on his 85th birthday, also lost his Jack Russell also named Zeus a short two months later.   [crying]

I know the feeling too.  A few weeks after moving into the house I'm in now ( in 2011) our 15 year ol Shih-Tzu Chrissy had to be put down.  And then in 2014 our 14 year old Shih-Tzu Megan passed.  

They're both buried side by side in my backyard.  

So, you have my most sincere condolences.  Pets are much more than mere accessories around the house.

Whitefang

Hate to hear that! Always hard and a shame they don't live as long as we do.  They're family. 

On 3/18/2021 at 10:15 PM, Retired said:

Sorry for your brothers🥵loss. I remember when you lost Zeus.  18 years is pretty good for a dog though depending on its size, miniature dogs live a lot longer than large dogs.  Yeah, I lose it each time I loose a dog. I don't know how much longer I'll get with mine. 

Same. I lost dogs before and I've lost it each time. I have 5 now and my oldest is my Yellow Lab, who is 11 1/2. Yeah, that is a long time.  I remember a lady with beautiful Rottweiler pup at PetSmart a few years ago saying she knew  someone who had a Chihuahua that was 22 years old and told me they can live up to 25 if taken care of right. 

21 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Same. I lost dogs before and I've lost it each time. I have 5 now and my oldest is my Yellow Lab, who is 11 1/2. Yeah, that is a long time.  I remember a lady with beautiful Rottweiler pup at PetSmart a few years ago saying she knew  someone who had a Chihuahua that was 22 years old and told me they can live up to 25 if taken care of right. 

My mother just lost her Pomeranian that made it to 25 or 27 years. I believe she said 27? But no teeth, hunched over really bad, blind so it had a very bad life in the end and suffered. She refused to put it down so it was like that for years.