Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Garage Grand Opening Guitar Giveaway

Rabs

8 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Thank you for posting that.

I never win anything so congratulations in advance to the lucky winner from me!

I would if I could but I cant so I wont... I never win anything either.

I followed the link. Yes its confined USA and Canada. But did you see this under ENTRY INFORMATION: ?

• In addition to all the other requirements stated in these Official Rules, if the Winner is a Canadian resident, (s)he must correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question to be eligible to be confirmed the Winner.

Is this a joke? Is it some gentle ribbing going on? 

If its serious, its insulting, xenophobic & bizarre. Innit?

Edited by merciful-evans

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

If it's serious, it's insulting, xenophobic & bizarre. Innit?

Bizarre, yes.  Mistake? Likely.  The xenophobe thing gets thrown around so much, I think it is better to stay away from that unless that is what it really is ... which I personally doubt. 

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I followed the link. Yes its confined USA and Canada. But did you see this under ENTRY INFORMATION: ?

• In addition to all the other requirements stated in these Official Rules, if the Winner is a Canadian resident, (s)he must correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question to be eligible to be confirmed the Winner.

Is this a joke? Is it some gentle ribbing going on? 

If its serious, its insulting, xenophobic & bizarre. Innit?

It looks like it's none of the above. Certainly not Xenephobia. A requirement put in place by Canada to allow canadians to participate in giveaways as apparently random luck contests are illegal in Canada. Ive seen this on trading card boxes before too. Maybe this will come up on Jeopardy one day and we'll all be ready for it!😆   Info below.

"The reason we must answer a skill-testing question in order to win in Canada is; sweepstakes are illegal. Yes, I said illegal. Sweepstakes were made illegal to protect Canadians from scams.

Companies wanted to use giveaways in their promotions and advertising as they are a fantastic marketing tool, but couldn’t. A brilliant lawyer found a loophole in the law.

Contests were not illegal so if the entrant exhibited a form of skill, the promotion would be legal. Therefore, we answer a skill-testing question making the giveaway a contest and not a sweepstakes."

• Like 1

I guess he finally could afford a new t-shirt. 

My favorite line is "You can order all sorts of fun stuff from the Murphy Lab". What regular Joe walking around in Nashville  is gonna come in off the street and pony up for a 10k guitar just to have a little fun that day?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Beerad12 said:

It looks like it's none of the above. Certainly not Xenephobia. A requirement put in place by Canada to allow canadians to participate in giveaways as apparently random luck contests are illegal in Canada. Ive seen this on trading card boxes before too. Maybe this will come up on Jeopardy one day and we'll all be ready for it!😆   Info below.

"The reason we must answer a skill-testing question in order to win in Canada is; sweepstakes are illegal. Yes, I said illegal. Sweepstakes were made illegal to protect Canadians from scams.

Companies wanted to use giveaways in their promotions and advertising as they are a fantastic marketing tool, but couldn’t. A brilliant lawyer found a loophole in the law.

Contests were not illegal so if the entrant exhibited a form of skill, the promotion would be legal. Therefore, we answer a skill-testing question making the giveaway a contest and not a sweepstakes."

A sensible explanation. Thank you.

Since the text I quoted made me laugh, my post was likewise not very serious. Should've used a wink thingy.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:42 PM, Retired said:

I got a mail telling me to sign up, I deleted it.  No way would I win. Dietze was also giving a guitar away per week but at a discounted price the month of April. 

If there's ANY price connected, discounted or not, you can't call it a "giveaway"!  [cursing]

Whitefang

22 hours ago, Rabs said:

What price are you talking about?  

Well, Butch was mentioning  that some music dealer in Nebraska was giving a guitar away per week  but at a discounted price.  (Check his post on Monday)  I merely replied that if ANY price was involved, discount or not, that it really isn't a "giveaway".   I'm not sure what Dietze  is trying to pull.

Whitefang