Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les Paul model is this?

mikca99

4 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Not a Custom.

I assume "Bruksslitage. Ett lock samt en ratt saknas"  =   "had the living crap played out of it. This is not a case queen" in whatever that is.  (Swedish?)    

Swedish, yes.

Translated, poorly:

Description
Length about 100 cm. Soft case and shoulder strap included.
Condition report
Use Wear. A lid and a steering wheel are missing. Wear on the case.

So "had the living crap played out of it. This is not a case queen" is appropriate. 

Looks like a Standard I suppose. 
Or a Chibson. 
Not sure about that headstock logo. 

But I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. 
😐

Leaning toward Chibson. 

The joint where the headstock meets the neck is shaped wrong for a 2005 Gibson, based on photos I have examined, and the headstock is one piece of wood. 
(I looked at other 2005 Les Pauls, and they all have the 'wings' on the left and right of the headstock.)

Price is low for a legitimate Gibson, if that tells us anything. 

😬

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

based on photos I have examined, and the headstock is one piece of wood. 
(I looked at other 2005 Les Pauls, and they all have the 'wings' on the left and right of the headstock.)

Price is low for a legitimate Gibson, if that tells us anything. 

😬

It's a 3 piece. 😃

From what I see it looks like a Standard. Traditionals did come out until 2008. A little TLC will get that back in shape. Very sad about the case, thank god Gibson is selling cases separately now.

hd_item_1797924_33767210d5.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yeah its a three piece as they all are. If you zoom in on it, its easy to see

cydu5e9.jpg

Yessir, thank you for that. 

I can see it now, in that blown up view. 

And I gladly correct myself from earlier. 
I did evenutally find a Gibson guitar with that exact shape on the portion of the back where the headstock meets the neck. 
This 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard '60's Neck Sunburst.
Not the same top by any stretch, but quite similar to the  guitar up for purchase. 
https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/gibson-les-paul-standard-60s-neck-sunburst-2005

So the OP's advertised guitar appears to be legit, albeit needing a new 3 way switch, truss rod cover, and a good cleaning. 
🙂

Edited by sparquelito

1 hour ago, mikca99 said:

Can you explain for a newbie the 3 piece headstock?

Did you mean like this?

Regards Micke 

54CFBCD9-3EC4-4EF5-9293-F9E35079BE30.jpeg

Gibson generally fashions the neck and headstock from one piece of wood. 
The width of the neck drives the width of the headstock, in so many words. 

In order to make the Gibson headstock shape a 'fanned-out' one, pieces of wood, like wings, are glued and clamped onto the comparatively narrow headstock, early in the construction. 
Why, you may ask?

Because if you chose to fashion the wide  headstock from one piece of wood, the raw wood plank would have to be much wider.
And you would have to remove very much material on the sides of the piece of bulk wood to get to the desired neck shape.

That would be a true waste of expensive wood. It is much more economic to just make the raw plank about as wide as the future neck, shape it into the desired profile and add the wings later.

Cheaper, easier, and less wasted wood material. 

😐

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

This is definitely 100% a legit Gibson Les Paul.  If you like it and see no evidence of breaks in the neck, etc. then do what your heart tells you to.  And I'm not saying this just because I saw the picture of the headstock - other pictures on the listing were dead giveaways to, "Is this legit?"  Student of WWW Academy, at your service. 

Edited by NighthawkChris