Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center "Gear Advisor"

DanvillRob

Did anyone else get a call and email from someone at Guitar Center telling me they're my new Gear Advisor?

She called, then sent me this email:

Hello , I called today just to reach out and introduce myself as your new gear advisor!

I am excited to get started in helping you with any current and future music needs.

I will be In touch but my contact info is below in case you need me sooner! 
 Take care, Jamie 

Jamie Neal
Gear Advisor

I'm certainly not planning on getting any new gear.

Bob

27 minutes ago, jdgm said:

And the advice is...buy another guitar.

Unmissable deals....... [wink]

I have actually bought several guitars from them..... my DIF came from GC in SF; the 'Bird Koa came from GC in SJ; the J-50 came from GC in Spokane (I think).   I also bought the Fender Passport PA from a GC back east, (Boston, I think).

Other than those....nothing major.

My local GC (about a mile from here) has evolved into something with literally no resemblance at all to what it was around 17-18 years ago.   From knowledgeable sales folks, they now have teeny—boppers or “cool” people who don’t know their *** from a hole in the ground.  I’ll get strings there when they’re on sale, but I won’t spend big dollars there anymore.  I have no confidence in the in-store employees and definitely don’t need a “gear advisor.”

1 minute ago, MissouriPicker said:

My local GC (about a mile from here) has evolved into something with literally no resemblance at all to what it was around 17-18 years ago.   From knowledgeable sales folks, they now have teeny—boppers or “cool” people who don’t know their *** from a hole in the ground.  I’ll get strings there when they’re on sale, but I won’t spend big dollars there anymore.  I have no confidence in the in-store employees and definitely don’t need a “gear advisor.”

It's probably been 3-4 years since I've been in one....but I usually know what I'm looking for, so the teeny-boppers don't bother me much.

21 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Did anyone else get a call and email from someone at Guitar Center telling me they're my new Gear Advisor?

[confused]  Why would anyone from Guitar Center call or e-mail ME to tell YOU they're YOUR new "Gear Advisor"? 

I've browsed a couple of their places before, but never bought anything there, so the don't have my name or contact info.  I doubt I'll ever hear from them then.

Whitefang 

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

[confused]  Why would anyone from Guitar Center call or e-mail ME to tell YOU they're YOUR new "Gear Advisor"? 

I've browsed a couple of their places before, but never bought anything there, so the don't have my name or contact info.  I doubt I'll ever hear from them then.

Whitefang 

Years ago I had their credit card.... so I guess they kept the contact info.....I got an actual phone call from them first....then the email.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

Sadly, I really have no use for the chain any more.  It was nice when it was "new", but it's not any more, and what's evolved from the early days, is largely disappointing..

For me it's just a place to get stuff when I need it.....don't much care about their 'culture' or whatever.

There are a few of them relatively close to me, so when I need a stereo chord or humidifier, they're convenient.

I do find myself buying more and more stuff on line.... but I'm "old school" and old habits are hard to break, (sounds like a song!).

A huge Musicians’ Gear warehouse used to be a 15 minute drive from me.  They helped supply all the GCs.  They had a retail store at one end of it that was awesome.  If they believed you were a serious shopper, they’d let you play any guitar they had.   Great used/new merchandise and the employees were fantastic.  Sweet bargains.  Top notch music people.  Some of them would work weekends at GC.  Two of the gals were covered with tattoos.  One had a Mohawk haircut and what-a-looker.  It was fun to shop there, especially when they knew you.  No mater how much you already knew, they could help you.  Those were good times that won’t be back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

For me it's just a place to get stuff when I need it.....don't much care about their 'culture' or whatever.

There are a few of them relatively close to me, so when I need a stereo chord or humidifier, they're convenient.

I do find myself buying more and more stuff on line.... but I'm "old school" and old habits are hard to break, (sounds like a song!).

I buy 95% of what I use online, from strings, to straps, to bigger ticket items.  

There is a store down the road, decent place really but I'm "surprised" when I go in there, and find something I was actually went in there looking for.

12 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

A huge Musicians’ Gear warehouse used to be a 15 minute drive from me.  They helped supply all the GCs.  They had a retail store at one end of it that was awesome.  If they believed you were a serious shopper, they’d let you play any guitar they had.   Great used/new merchandise and the employees were fantastic.  Sweet bargains.  Top notch music people.  Some of them would work weekends at GC.  Two of the gals were covered with tattoos.  One had a Mohawk haircut and what-a-looker.  It was fun to shop there, especially when they knew you.  No mater how much you already knew, they could help you.  Those were good times that won’t be back.

That must have been nice!

I recall sometime in the late '90's there was a huge ad in my paper for a place called "Mars Music".  I went to check 'em out.  Seemed a nice place.  But a few years later I learned of a new place opened up in some other town called "Guitar Center" so I went to check THEM out, and it was the same-set up as Mars.  You know, the wall of guitars, the separate rooms for acoustics, etc.  I began to wonder whom stole that idea from whom.  And as I was just browsing, I couldn't say if the prices at one were lower than the other or just the same.  And that Mars location is long gone.

Whitefang

18 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I recall sometime in the late '90's there was a huge ad in my paper for a place called "Mars Music".  I went to check 'em out.  Seemed a nice place.  But a few years later I learned of a new place opened up in some other town called "Guitar Center" so I went to check THEM out, and it was the same-set up as Mars.  You know, the wall of guitars, the separate rooms for acoustics, etc.  I began to wonder whom stole that idea from whom.  And as I was just browsing, I couldn't say if the prices at one were lower than the other or just the same.  And that Mars location is long gone.

Whitefang

It's tough for 'Mom 'n Pop' stores to compete with the 'big-box' stores.....although, GC seems to be in financial trouble.   The 'Mom 'n Pop' stores need to learn they need to sell more than merchandise....they need to sell service!   We have a local music shop here in town.... I don't pretend to be a guitar master when I go  there...and the staff is always super pleasant....will go WAY out of their way to assist me..... I needed a shoulder rest for my fiddle..... I had NO idea what I was looking for.... the guys found me exactly what I needed.   That's something you can't get at GC.

• Like 1

I can think of a couple places near me that offer some service, and another long time place that since Covid only deals in band equipment( like marching band) and maybe a few guitar related items.  The previous two places I mentioned still sell guitars and some gear and do repairs and such.  

Two of the best places for years to go to were WONDERLAND MUSIC and ANDERSON'S MUSIC, both in Dearborn, MI.  But Wonderland has closed out of business some years ago while Anderson's moved from Dearborn to another city 15 miles from it's long time location.  [crying]

The other place I mentioned that sells mostly band equipment now has been there for over 50 years, but under two different names.  My ex bought the Epiphone FT-145 she gave me for Christmas of '72 there when it was still A. WEAVER.  And sometime later it became MARSHALL'S MUSIC, where I took said Epiphone to get repaired, restored and in good working order.  It's radical change really saddened me.  They don't even offer the piano and guitar lessons they were noted for anymore.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

26 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

The other place I mentioned that sells mostly band equipment now has been there for over 50 years, but under two different names.  My ex bought the Epiphone FT-145 she gave me for Christmas of '72 there when it was still A. WEAVER.  And sometime later it became MARSHALL'S MUSIC, where I took said Epiphone to get repaired, restored and in good working order.  It's radical change really saddened me.  They don't even offer the piano and guitar lessons they were noted for anymore.

Whitefang

I'd forgotten about the place my bride bought me my Dove...in 1980 (I think).   MUSIC UNLIMITED.   I'd bought a few things from them over the years, I recall an old Fender Echo Chamber....was so sensitive was in the shop more than on the stage...but was still cool for the time.   It's still there...and I visit on occasion....but it's about 20 miles away.