Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a good way to Sell my Electric Guitars & Amps..

Larsongs

On 11/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, rct said:

All business has risk.  All businesses have risks that everyone takes, including dinged up guitars in stores.  Good luck with it, I hope you two can work something out.

rct

I took my Ric 360 12 String in for a minor repair to the Shop my Luthier recommended.. He does repairs on my Luthiers personal Collection of Guitars.. He’s too busy with his business building Custom Guitars & his Band to work on his own let alone mine anymore….

He remembered my Ric 12 string from doing a Re-String job on it a few years ago… I hate changing Strings on that Guitar… He’s been the Tech at our local GC for the past 8-9 years.. Then I remembered him… Now he’s gone out on his own…..

Anyhow, it was a good day! The repair was pretty straight forward, inexpensive and he did while I waited. One of my Band mates came along to meet him & see the Shop.

He was a nice Guy & we talked about Guitars, Music & Bands for a while. We seemed to hit it off so I asked him if he would be open to my meeting potential Buyers to sell my Guitars & Amps in his Shop & I would pay him his standard consignment fee.. He was totally open to it.. He even requested I make him a List & he would call me to set appointments to bring in my Gear & meet with potential Buyers.. He was even willing to assist with Selling… We arrived at a deal & I’m going forward with it…..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I took my Ric 360 12 String in for a minor repair to the Shop my Luthier recommended.. He does repairs on my Luthiers personal Collection of Guitars.. He’s too busy with his business building Custom Guitars & his Band to work on his own let alone mine anymore….

He remembered my Ric 12 string from doing a Re-String job on it a few years ago… I hate changing Strings on that Guitar… He’s been the Tech at our local GC for the past 8-9 years.. Then I remembered him… Now he’s gone out on his own…..

Anyhow, it was a good day! The repair was pretty straight forward, inexpensive and he did while I waited. One of my Band mates came along to meet him & see the Shop.

He was a nice Guy & we talked about Guitars, Music & Bands for a while. We seemed to hit it off so I asked him if he would be open to my meeting potential Buyers to sell my Guitars & Amps in his Shop & I would pay him his standard consignment fee.. He was totally open to it.. He even requested I make him a List & he would call me to set appointments to bring in my Gear & meet with potential Buyers.. He was even willing to assist with Selling… We arrived at a deal & I’m going forward with it…..

Glad to hear it. Good luck.

I like reverb. I’ve made a few bucks using it so if you don’t mind the shipping part - which isn’t a real big deal if you have all the boxes and packaging stuff - it’s a great way to get some coin for something that is not being played and should be. A lot of guitars I watch are seemingly selling fast as ever too and at higher prices which is good for sellers. If it wasn’t for reverb sellers, I wouldn’t have some real cool guitars. But if you got a special way to handle your business in someone else’s establishment when reaching out locally, not everyone has this, but all the power to you. I’d love to use someone’s shop to make a pitch at someone for a sale of my own stuff. But if all else fails and want to reach out to many, many musicians, Reverb is the way to go. Be it what it may, it’s probably the best alternative way to go to try and get top dollar for your stuff. 

1 minute ago, NighthawkChris said:

I like reverb. I’ve made a few bucks using it so if you don’t mind the shipping part - which isn’t a real big deal if you have all the boxes and packaging stuff - it’s a great way to get some coin for something that is not being played and should be. A lot of guitars I watch are seemingly selling fast as ever too and at higher prices which is good for sellers. If it wasn’t for reverb sellers, I wouldn’t have some real cool guitars. But if you got a special way to handle your business in someone else’s establishment when reaching out locally, not everyone has this, but all the power to you. I’d love to use someone’s shop to make a pitch at someone for a sale of my own stuff. But if all else fails and want to reach out to many, many musicians, Reverb is the way to go. Be it what it may, it’s probably the best alternative way to go to try and get top dollar for your stuff. 

I buy there & have had good experiences... Several of my friends Sell there. There are all kinds of stories… Good & Bad… Then the Fees & most of all the Shipping hassle & expensive cost.. Especially if you don’t have Boxes & Padding… Reverb would be my next resort..

I just want to give this a try & see how it works out… I’ll advertise on CL & meet them at the Guitar Shop.. Quick, easy, no Shipping, Cash money.. We’ll see..

I’ve made the most money and easily with CL. That’s always been my first resort. I think with Reverb you might have to lose up to 10% or something like that… their site breaks it down. Better than eBay.

As I may have mentioned earlier about consigning stuff, you pay 15% so reverb has this beat.

And again with GC or any store that just gives you cash on the spot, you’re losing 40% or so of what you could make if you sold it yourself on CL. 

I wish you best of luck selling your stuff @Larsongs and hope your scheme proves successful. 

FYI I always add in the cost of the shipping materials in the shipping cost. Tape, packing stuff… all costs money as I take pride in what I ship someone. I’ve heard the stories too but they usually get resolved where you eventually get what you need to make things right. It’s not that bad of a platform.

Edited by NighthawkChris

Nine states have signed up with Reverb to 1099 our sales as income.  New Jersey, in an effort to combat the "windfall" that e-commerce has become, has made it such that anything over 1000 dollars is 1099able, so we'll be taxed at the state income tax rate.  1000 bucks in a year of selling junk out of your basement is a windfall.  I can not wait to leave this state.  9 states is just the start, the rest will follow suit if they have any sort of taxes on sold goods.  The glory days of Reverb are over.

rct

WRT Reverb if you’re looking for a certain guitar that isn’t new or whatever, this is the place. Where else is there other than you find it luckily in some local listing or maybe GC? The whole tax thing has been there for a while now and honestly is how legit businesses should be paying for their sales, but otherwise it gives wide exposure and wide selection. Is it the best it can be, can’t say but it isn’t a bad place. Again wasn’t for Reverb I would have had a hard time getting some of the guitars I have today. I’m the end, I have made a lot more and had more luck with CL. Not afraid to have someone come over my house and plug in. Someone may not be fine with that but that’s ok too. Never once have I had a threatening individual come over. And may have said this but I am prepared if you want to start some funny business. If people want to get stupid, I get stupider. Never had to get stupid though haha!

I’ve done CL for many years and the people that have bought stuff from me are the ones that call. I got into a lot of discussions with a lot of people on TGP about this, Reverb etc and I’m fine with CL as I live in an area where a lot of musicians use it around here in metro Detroit area. Yeah there’s weirdos but as said here by @rct risk in everything. 

Honestly selling is a last resort to get something from something I don’t use so buy what you know you want and don’t worry about what it costs, will this decrease value, etc. I’m not selling $4k items in a local ad. The most I’ve sold was a $1.45k LP. 

I'm not selling any of my stuff, (did that once back in the late 60's.... been buying stuff back ever since!).

But.... our 45 we made in 1966 can sell for a bit of money.   I've seen them listed for over $1K.   I still have the original one given to me when it was released....it's in rough shape.    My son bought me a nice 'presentation piece' that hangs on the wall in my music room, (I have no idea what he paid for it).   On my 70th birthday, he got me a never-played, still in the original sleeve copy, (HAD to cost him a BUNCH of money!).   So.... my brother told me he wanted to sell his copy.... not in great shape, but not too bad either.    He said we could split the money 50/50.   I asked my son if he'd list it on Ebay.... he said "No....I've been spending my time buying old Peter Wheat stuff...not selling it."...so, now I'm the owner of a 4th copy of the record!

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Which one did you sell and are you replacing it with something else or the usual coke and hookers binge?  

A bit will go to hookers and blow. D-18 sold. I want a 00-28. I got 3 I’m watching.

r8nYoJY.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

When reverb came out it was in competition with eBay, and eBay responded by lowering their fees for musical instrument sales. I haven’t looked into this for a long time, but at least at that point eBay was cheaper for selling musical instruments 

I’ve posted before about how I sold some expensive mics on reverb and they were lost by usps. It was a REAL nightmare trying to get a simple document from Reverb. In the end reverb customer service was really unhelpful and their website/staff are incapable of providing a basic document needed to deal with the postal claim. Personally I won’t sell on reverb again because it’s too much money to trust to their rinky dink website/staff