Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a good way to Sell my Electric Guitars & Amps..

Larsongs

Reverb, EBay & Craigslist are too expensive.. By the time you pay Sipping costs & their Fees it’s almost not worth it.. Unless you’re selling really expensive Gear.. But even then the Fee is substantially higher…

I’d really like to figure out a way more local….

If you’re the Seller of an Electric Guitar or Amp where would you meet up with a Craig’s List Buyer? How would you handle the expected Demo?

14 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Reverb, EBay & Craigslist are too expensive.. By the time you pay Sipping costs & their Fees it’s almost not worth it.. Unless you’re selling really expensive Gear.. But even then the Fee is substantially higher…

I’d really like to figure out a way more local….

If you’re the Seller of an Electric Guitar or Amp where would you meet up with a Craig’s List Buyer? How would you handle the expected Demo?

Guitar store and some have said the Police Station. 

The guitar shop near me does consignment where I pay 15% what it sells for. I believe I only pay 10% if I somehow buy something or use it all there… I know there’s some incentive to it. 

No to eBay, Reverb is your best bet to do online thing IMHO. It’s not hard to pack and ship a guitar. Albeit not fun, but it’s a great way to expose your gear to a wider audience. 

Cheapest local route is CL or as suggested FB Marketplace. 

Depends how bad you want to unload your stuff or how much of a pinch you’re in being that GC can give you some coin. I personally would never take the hit on just outright having ANY guitar shop buy my used stuff because they are going to give you only about 60% of what they’ll sell it for. Example, tried to sell my LP classic to GC who offered me like $900… sold it on CL for $1500 instead and had that extra $600 for putting in the work. But again desperate for $900… could have done it. 

I own a .45 & am Ex Military..  In these times others carrying Weapons is common.. I don’t want to get in a fight or a shoot out.. I don’t have Dogs anymore…

I’d just like to find a simple way to meet a potential Buyer locally & sell my Electric Guitars & Amps.. But not at my Home…

Is it legitimate to take your Electric Guitar or Amp & meet up with a Buyer at a GC & do business there? Same question for a Police  Station..

While I think of it, you used to be able to sell up to $20,000 or 200 transactions per year using PayPal and not have to worry about it.  

Starting next year, the limit drops to $600 per transaction.  You either have to prove that you sold it at a loss or any profit is taxable.

For the buyers, expect prices to rise accordingly.  

There's a lot to be said for cash transactions.

I sell a few things from time to time.  I sell the stuff at my place.  I want the guy who buys my stuff to see I'm a normal person.  I want the guy to see my amp shop.  It makes the stuff I sell worth more.

I sold a Les Paul to a 15 year old kid who drove with his parents five hours to get here.  I'm not about to meet them in a parking lot.

I'm certainly not afraid of somebody stealing my stuff cause they know where I live.  There's lots of people who know me and know I have some nice stuff.  I'm not afraid of people.  Around here, you don't really have to be like that.

29 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I sell a few things from time to time.  I sell the stuff at my place.  I want the guy who buys my stuff to see I'm a normal person.  I want the guy to see my amp shop.  It makes the stuff I sell worth more.

I sold a Les Paul to a 15 year old kid who drove with his parents five hours to get here.  I'm not about to meet them in a parking lot.

I'm certainly not afraid of somebody stealing my stuff cause they know where I live.  There's lots of people who know me and know I have some nice stuff.  I'm not afraid of people.  Around here, you don't really have to be like that.

That’s great.. Most of us don’t have a Brick & Mortar Store though…. You’re very lucky.

I’ve had an entire Recording Studio + all my Guitars & Amps stolen from my Home while we were away on a weekend… 

Unfortunately after that experience I’m not as trusting as you.. 

Or, perhaps you can have the guy come to your house(or home).  There is you know, absolutely NO obligation to let him see ALL of your gear.  Just what you're trying to sell him.  Just have the ax and amp in the front room and all your other stuff in another room out of sight and let him think the ax and amp you're selling is ALL you have and must sell it for some much needed cash. 

And being in Cali, the weather might be nice enough to have 'em out on the porch when the guy shows up.    It ain't rocket surgery. [wink]

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’d rather meet somewhere that is safe that the buyer can do an Electric Guitar demo on a Battery Amp...

Police station, fire station, municipal building.  How many times can people who have sold stuff tell you the same thing over and over again?

Give me your address, I'll google some places for you to go since you seem incapable of doing anything but telling everyone how mistrusting you are.

POLICE STATION, FIRE STATION, MUNICIPAL BUILDING.

Again.

Still.

Jesus Christ.

Guitar Center is considered bad form, since you are selling in their parking lot what they sell in their store and they could end up very unhappy with you. 

rct

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, rct said:

Police station, fire station, municipal building.  How many times can people who have sold stuff tell you the same thing over and over again?

Give me your address, I'll google some places for you to go since you seem incapable of doing anything but telling everyone how mistrusting you are.

POLICE STATION, FIRE STATION, MUNICIPAL BUILDING.

Again.

Still.

Jesus Christ.

Guitar Center is considered bad form, since you are selling in their parking lot what they sell in their store and they could end up very unhappy with you. 

rct

Things used to be different.. The way I used to do personal Business was different.. But, this ain’t the same World anymore….

Have you had $50,000.00 worth of Recording Equipment, Guitars, Amps etc stolen from you?

I guess  because I have I’m sensitive about it. 

I’ve never heard of Selling your Gear at POLICE STATION, FIRE STATION, MUNICIPAL BUILDING before… That’s all new to me… Just trying to find a new & better way…

You don’t have to be a Jerk… 

Edited by Larsongs
  • Thanks 1

Lars, it isn't that you haven't heard of this new world of selling and buying.  It isn't that you are sensitive to others coming to your home and rubbing up against your stuff, I'm the same way.  It isn't that I've never experienced theft, or maybe probably anyone else here for that matter.  Between this thread and the other craigslist thread it's only been said like 17 times.

And seriously, take them into a couple local guitar centers if you have any around.  Smokin good money for clean used stuff.

rct

15 hours ago, rct said:

Down around here, Wawa encourages you to use their parking lot for CL transactions.  Some have made electricical whatsits and water thingies available.

rct

"WAWA"?  I suspect it has nothing to do with Gilda Radner's "Baba Wawa" character....?  [wink]

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Thanks everyone…

Too bad there aren’t Musician Swap Meets…… I don’t mean Guitar & Amp Shows that cost $$$ Hundreds to get a 5x8 booth..

Used to have fantastic Swap Ups, one up 60 miles from here, one right down in Atlantic City.  Them were the days.

rct

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

"WAWA"?  I suspect it has nothing to do with Gilda Radner's "Baba Wawa" character....?  [wink]

Whitefang

It's a "convenience" store/gas station by definition.  In reality, it is a cancer, a non-competitive killer of the four gas stations on a corner in the rest of the country.  It is the embodiment of only the big guys can hack the cost of doing business here.  Hateful.

rct

Most success selling face to face fo me is to have them meet me in the lobby where I work at lunch time. Seems to work well for all involved. 
GC usually looks at the lowest going price for your gear and offer you 65% of that amount. Sometimes that’s okay with me, sometimes it’s not. If I had a very expensive item I would consider Elderly’s and their 25% fee. EBay is still my favorite selling venue.