Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a good way to Sell my Electric Guitars & Amps..

Larsongs

back in the day......

we had a thing called "The Want Adds"  And  it's where we bought and sold just about everything that we used when I was gigging.

These days before cell phones, and all this technoid BS.  You called the number,  you asked questions, and eventually you went some place to make the purchase, face to face cash transactions.  There were no scams to worry about, and no lunatics either.  them were the days..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kidblast said:

back in the day......

we had a thing called "The Want Adds"  And  it's where we bought and sold just about everything that we used when I was gigging.

These days before cell phones, and all this technoid BS.  You called the number,  you asked questions, and eventually you went some place to make the purchase, face to face cash transactions.  There were no scams to worry about, and no lunatics either.  them were the days..

BS!

There have been scams and lunatics since there were men.

Hey, that might be a good name for a band... Scams and Lunatics![smile]

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, brad1 said:

BS!

There have been scams and lunatics since there were men.

Hey, that might be a good name for a band... Scams and Lunatics![smile]

I like it!! 

seriously, I agree with you on a larger degree, scams and loons are nothing new to our society

just trying to say that in those days,,, WRT to selling./buying gear, it was all done face to face, and we were never even close to as concerned as we are today. 

Edited by kidblast

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

I like it!! 

seriously, I agree with you on a larger degree, scams and loons are nothing new to our society

just trying to say that in those days,,, WRT to selling./buying gear, it was all done face to face, and we were never even close to as concerned as we are today. 

I agree with you 100%

My favorite thing, ever. 

"Hello, uh, John?  This is Pete, the guy selling the Telecaster. I'm on my way."

"Me too, Pete. I should be there in about five minutes. Confirm we are talking about the parking lot of the Publix on north Wal Triana, and not the one down on HWY 72, right?"

"That's right. The Publix across from the Texaco station and the Dollar General. I'm driving a maroon PT Cruiser."

"I'm the old guy driving the small white serial killer van. See you there in a few."

(dead silence)
😬

22 hours ago, rct said:

It's a "convenience" store/gas station by definition.  In reality, it is a cancer, a non-competitive killer of the four gas stations on a corner in the rest of the country.  It is the embodiment of only the big guys can hack the cost of doing business here.  Hateful.

rct

So, how did they get the name "WAWA"?  And It's hard to find a gas station that doesn't have a small convenience market in the building it's in.  Those"mini Marts" are often what keeps the gas station alive.   In my town, all the auto repair businesses are in what once used to be "service stations" where folks could buy gas and/or get their cars fixed.  Since the oil embargo of '73-'74 to now, I could spot at least THREE places that sell only gasoline, and only one of THOSE that still also offer car repair.  The other places either only do car repair, one became a budget florist,  one became a discount tire store  with others becoming a 7-11, or an ADVANCE AMERICA cash advance  place and other non petroleum related businesses.  I haven't seen a four gas station intersection for more than 40 years.

Whitefang

I’ve been referred by my Luthier friend to a Guy who does Guitar repairs & has a little Shop.. My friend owns 111 Guitars & is so busy building one off Custom Guitars he no longer has time to do repairs, Set ups etc.. 

I need some work done on one of my Guitars & am going to meet him on Wednesday.. If I get a good feeling about his Work I’ll have him do my repair job..

I’m thinking of offering him a fee or percentage if he would allow me to meet potential Buyers & sell my Guitars at his Shop… Is that something People do? Is it out of line? What do you all think? Need advice..

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve been referred by my Luthier friend to a Guy who does Guitar repairs & has a little Shop.. My friend owns 111 Guitars & is so busy building one off Custom Guitars he no longer has time to do repairs, Set ups etc.. 

I need some work done on one of my Guitars & am going to meet him on Wednesday.. If I get a good feeling about his Work I’ll have him do my repair job..

I’m thinking of offering him a fee or percentage if he would allow me to meet potential Buyers & sell my Guitars at his Shop… Is that something People do? Is it out of line? What do you all think? Need advice..

Thanks

He probably already sells.  People drop stuff off, get a call telling them 235 dollars, yeah I'll get it next week, they never show up.

Ask if he'll consign for you.  He is there all the time, people are in and out all the time, and he knows most of them pretty well.

rct

2 hours ago, rct said:

Don't be shocked if he politely declines your request to meet at his place to sell things.  He probably prefers not to insert himself into the potential problems of someone else's sales. 

rct

Most of my Guitars are higher end. Gibson, Gretsch, Fender, Martin & Rickenbacker. I was thinking it might be of interest since there’s a Fee involved for him.  With all Sales As Is. 

But, what you say makes sense… 

On 11/12/2021 at 12:23 PM, rct said:

Wawa came from the sound the geese made.  The store is from a part of Pennsylvania that is a thick, robust, geese migration route.

rct

Funny sounding geese.  When geese fly over here they sound more like "ONK  ONK"  (not "HONK" like most people think). 

Plus, I think my mistake is thinking "WaWa" was a nickname,  not the name of the business.  [wink]  No one gas station chain has any exclusive name for the "mini marts"  at any of their locations here either.  

Whitefang

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Most of my Guitars are higher end. Gibson, Gretsch, Fender, Martin & Rickenbacker. I was thinking it might be of interest since there’s a Fee involved for him.  With all Sales As Is. 

But, what you say makes sense… 

Yes.  You are not consigning because you prefer not to.  He is not getting what he would consider a fair consignment he is getting what you consider a fair fee, which we have to assume is below consignment.  He is compromising for your preferred method of sales.  He assumes all of the risk he would assume if he was consigning, while not consigning.  If he runs a business, it would be a no.

rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

Yes.  You are not consigning because you prefer not to.  He is not getting what he would consider a fair consignment he is getting what you consider a fair fee, which we have to assume is below consignment.  He is compromising for your preferred method of sales.  He assumes all of the risk he would assume if he was consigning, while not consigning.  If he runs a business, it would be a no.

rct

I would be happy to give the same Consignment fee.. He’s offering a Service & deserves to be paid..

My Guitars are too nice to Consign… I’d handle everything from Advertising to setting Appointments during regular business hours to meet with Buyers, do all the Selling & collect Money of which I’d pay the standard consignment fee..

Any additional Mods or ? He’d get first shot at the work. Potentially even more money for him…

14 hours ago, rct said:

I didn't know consignment had a niceness requirement.  Good luck with it.

rct

Then you haven’t seen Guitars in Stores that people Knick, Scratch, Ding, rob Knobs & other Parts off of….

Stores who consign allow you to do so totally at your risk.. No Thanks.. My Guitars are too Nice…

Guess I’ll find out tomorrow.. There’s no harm in asking.. Especially if I’m spending money with him to work on my Guitars…

Edited by Larsongs

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Then you haven’t seen Guitars in Stores that people Knick, Scratch, Ding, rob Knobs & other Parts off of….

Stores who consign allow you to do so totally at your risk.. No Thanks.. My Guitars are too Nice…

Guess I’ll find out tomorrow.. There’s no harm in asking.. Especially if I’m spending money with him to work on my Guitars…

All business has risk.  All businesses have risks that everyone takes, including dinged up guitars in stores.  Good luck with it, I hope you two can work something out.

rct

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Thats because they're airborn. The H is lost in the doppler effect. Geese pronounce H very well on the ground .

OK.  But not "WaWa", eh?   I'd imagine it'd be hard to form that "W" sound with such a hard beak.  [wink]

In actuality though,  they don't really "honk" , it's really just a sound emitted that can best be described as a "honk",  resembling such a sound.  Just as dogs don't really make a "bow-wow" or "arf"  sound. It's just the best way we humans can describe it.   And just as my Mom, raised on a farm, told me she never heard a pig or hog actually make any noise that sounded like "oink".  [wink]

And LARS----

I wish you good luck in your sales attempts, and don't get  screwed.

Whitefang