Gibson Brands Forums

Nylon String Guitars

merciful-evans

I have a couple. A Camps model (Spanish) and a Yamaha Silent. 

I have been using the Camps a great deal this week.  Its hard to use, and has to be played properly - no way can I wrap a thumb around to fret the E. Also can only access the frets up to the 12th for chords. The action has always made it a challenge to use. On the plus side, It sounds incredible and its the loudest acoustic I've ever used. 

I just restrung the Yamaha. Its electric of course and good for recording. I've never mastered mic'ing up acoustics. Its also not exactly the best player either.

I know there are easier playing classical/flamenco guitars out there. I played David Pleasance's hand built Spanish guitar once. It was effortless. I can only imagine what it cost. 

Now I think its time to look for a nylon guitar that befits my age and failing strength. The better new ones can cost eye watering money though, and I dont know exactly what I want yet. Its going to be a long search. Going forward I'm actracted to a cutaway models with slightly smaller necks. An onboard pickup would be handy too. 

I'll welcome recommendations. 

The Camps. Note: no side dots 

KiD2nlK.jpg

• Like 2

I owned the Carlo Robelli C955CE for a few gigging seasons. 

For an affordable guitar, I was amazed at how easy it played, and how great it sounded live, pushed thru a Crate Telluride acoustic amp, and mic'ed to the PA. 

I eventually gave it to the local drug & alcohol rehab center, when I was down-sizing around here. 

😐

XPGLGUG.jpg

ME,

I went through  a # of nylons.. after bouncing around with a few pretty good ones, that just never set in right with me (Necks too darned wide and fat, intonation spotty on a good day) I bought a Taylor 500 series nylon.

Best move I ever made in this regard.   The neck, while it's not the same as my other Taylor's it's far more manageable than the others, very playable and  Intonation is very good.

The NS pickup isn't my favorite, but it does work good.  I had to do a bit of work to get the string volume balanced right, just a matter of a perfectly flat saddle base mostly.

not sure what you are looking to spend, but this ended my search.

104031746_10214550031064027_641045066324

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

I too couldn’t come to grips with the usual classical guitars. Went through a half dozen. I stumbled across a used Taylor NS7 and I think it will fill my need. Very easy to play. 

the Taylor seems to solve the problems that even the very good Takamine SC132 and Manuel Rodriguez A CUT models I tried to bond with could not overcome.

The were very nice guitars build wise,  but man those necks were like 75 year old oak trees,, and the Intonation above the 7th fret was just a total wasteland.  Not even close to being close. THAT drove me insane.

Edited by kidblast

Haven't owned a nylon string guitar for many, many years, but recently bought an inexpensive do-it-yourself kit in order to build one.

Just waiting for warmer weather so I can start working in our garage where I'll do my preliminary sanding before I stain and finish the pieces.

It won't be a great guitar, but it's the challenge of building it that interests me.

If I could have my druthers, I'd druther have a Martin N-20, a nylon string guitar long out of production, the most famous example being Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger".

RBSinTo

Cashimira make some excellent classical guitars at reasonable prices. I have a model 36 which is a really nice guitar. The company folded during the pandemic, but you can still find some on reverb I think. Made in Spain too, by a family of makers. You could get someone to fit a pickup if needed as I don't think they made any electro ones. 

On 12/16/2021 at 3:14 AM, merciful-evans said:

I know there are easier playing classical/flamenco guitars out there. I played David Pleasance's hand built Spanish guitar once. It was effortless. I can only imagine what it cost. 

Now I think its time to look for a nylon guitar that befits my age and failing strength. The better new ones can cost eye watering money though, and I dont know exactly what I want yet. Its going to be a long search. Going forward I'm actracted to a cutaway models with slightly smaller necks. An onboard pickup would be handy too. 

I'll welcome recommendations.

Boy oh boy.

I wish there were one of these nearby to you. 
Seems like a perfect fit. 

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/msg/d/huntsville-la-patric-hybrid-acoustic/7421853847.html

Made in Canada, and distributed by Godin. 
Priced quite low. 
Fjestad's Blue Book would put this at $500 or so. 

😑

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:26 PM, RBSinTo said:

Haven't owned a nylon string guitar for many, many years, but recently bought an inexpensive do-it-yourself kit in order to build one.

Just waiting for warmer weather so I can start working in our garage where I'll do my preliminary sanding before I stain and finish the pieces.

It won't be a great guitar, but it's the challenge of building it that interests me.

If I could have my druthers, I'd druther have a Martin N-20, a nylon string guitar long out of production, the most famous example being Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger".

RBSinTo

I hear Martin is releasing a "Trigger" N-20. The 50+ years of smoke, whiskey, pot, pills, shrooms, and the extra unorthodox sound port, you have to get on your own. 

He got it in '69 when a drunk played I am a giant and stepped on it in Nashville. I think he paid $750 for it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I hear Martin is releasing a "Trigger" N-20. The 50+ years of smoke, whiskey, pot, pills, shrooms, and the extra unorthodox sound port, you have to get on your own. 

He got it in '69 when a drunk played I am a giant and stepped on it in Nashville. I think he paid $750 for it. 

Chief,

Nelson was playing a Baldwin acoustic-electric guitar at the time, which was unsalvageable after being stepped on, and after being introduced to it, he switched to the Martin. However, Nelson liked the pick-up on the Baldwin, and had the Martin modified to accept it.

Many years later, after the guitar was long out of production, but had become famously known as "Trigger" Martin did re-issue a "Willie Nelson" special edition of the N-20. However, once again it is unavailable, although I suspect their Custom Shop would build one if requested.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

Oh well. 

merciful-evans, you have inspired me. 
It's been literally months since I acquired another guitar, and today I went and bought that Canadian-made La Patrie Hybrid Cutaway. 

Bought it used, from a local shop benefiting the New Leash On Life no-kill animal shelter.

Paid $275, and it's in excellent condition. 
AND it's got the greatest and most unique case I think I have ever run across. 
(rct just may want photos)

I'll endeavor to take some later this evening after supper. 

🙂

xZirPJQ.png

11 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Oh well. 

merciful-evans, you have inspired me. 
It's been literally months since I acquired another guitar, and today I went and bought that Canadian-made La Patrie Hybrid Cutaway. 

Bought it used, from a local shop benefiting the New Leash On Life no-kill animal shelter.

Paid $275, and it's in excellent condition. 
AND it's got the greatest and most unique case I think I have ever run across. 
(rct just may want photos)

I'll endeavor to take some later this evening after supper. 

🙂

xZirPJQ.png

Hey they dont look half bad. I'm working (sort of) right now, so it'll be after new year before I can try out any guitars, but I'm checking out what I can. GuitarGuitar have two Martin 000C Nylons: Though I haven't been able to find out at which of their 7 stores have them.

200107353670008f.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:46 AM, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Nelson was playing a Baldwin acoustic-electric guitar at the time, which was unsalvageable after being stepped on, and after being introduced to it, he switched to the Martin. However, Nelson liked the pick-up on the Baldwin, and had the Martin modified to accept it.

Many years later, after the guitar was long out of production, but had become famously known as "Trigger" Martin did re-issue a "Willie Nelson" special edition of the N-20. However, once again it is unavailable, although I suspect their Custom Shop would build one if requested.

RBSinTo

https://guitars.com/inventory/ab11802-new-martin-custom-shop-n-20

Here ya go.