Gibson Brands Forums

Dear Gibson

SteveFord

No..  Japan seem to get a lot of the really different stuff.. Way more than we do...  When I was searching about for 336's there were loads of nice ones from Japan...  Cherry red flamed top ones...  Which I may have got instead of the darkburst if it had been available to me.

24 minutes ago, Rabs said:

No..  Japan seem to get a lot of the really different stuff.. Way more than we do...  When I was searching about for 336's there were loads of nice ones from Japan...  Cherry red flamed top ones...  Which I may have got instead of the darkburst if it had been available to me.

The Japan market is huge.    Lots of money flows through there.  And they love American made Guitars.  

Yep the Japanese love American culture, especially Levi's blue jeans and real cowboy killer Marlboro's, and the Japanese smoke like chimneys. I lived there for 2 years when I was in The Navy. Plus they actually have the money over there to afford the prices Gibson wants.

Damn I wish I was there with a real bowl of Ramen in front of me, or a bowl of Sosu Katsudon.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Just now, Retired said:

I was in Guitar Center and Dietze Music the other day and the selection of Gibson guitars was small and not that great. 

Yeah we have had that over here for a while now.... VERY little choice for new in shops.... The  shop I use who are a quite big company, their local shop to me has 5 Gibsons..

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

Yeah we have had that over here for a while now.... VERY little choice for new in shops.... The  shop I use who are a quite big company, their local shop to me has 5 Gibsons..

GC here had like 4 and Dietze had like 2 maybe 3?  Yeah, thanks also Rab for teaching me so much here about guitars. I may be dumb on pickups as I have had no experience on it yet. But because of you and a few others here, I can do setups on my own guitar now and have been for a few years now.  Maybe I need to buy my sons cheap Vendetta guitar he never uses and sits in his cold basement for that first Pickup change out? Get some experience there. I have seen it done on video, just never done it. Before I joined here, I never changed strings on any guitar. Just if one broke, Haha. I had guitars with original strings on them for 32 years. Lol. 

7 minutes ago, Retired said:

GC here had like 4 and Dietze had like 2 maybe 3?  Yeah, thanks also Rab for teaching me so much here about guitars. I may be dumb on pickups as I have had no experience on it yet. But because of you and a few others here, I can do setups on my own guitar now and have been for a few years now.  Maybe I need to buy my sons cheap Vendetta guitar he never uses and sits in his cold basement for that first Pickup change out? Get some experience there. I have seen it done on video, just never done it. Before I joined here, I never changed strings on any guitar. Just if one broke, Haha. I had guitars with original strings on them for 32 years. Lol. 

Of course, happy to help.. Thats why we are here after all...  And I was the same when I first came on here.. Knew nothing about the technical details  or how to set a guitar up and thanks to this forum (and many hours of youtube videos)  I started building them within like a year of me first being on here.. 

And yes absolutely..  Practicing on a cheaper guitar is very much the way to go.. It doesnt take much experience, you just have to try it a few times..  Its not hard.

Edited by Rabs

49 minutes ago, Rabs said:

A problem currently known throughout the Universe.

Cosmo Music, the largest music store here in Toronto currently has very little Martin or Gibson acoustic inventory. 

Remaining Martin stock consists of mostly Mexican-made instruments, a few left-handed American models and a few very high-end custom guitars.

Gibson is represented by one acoustic Gibson cut-away model, and one Epiphone high-end  "bird" guitar.

The largest current high-end inventory available is the Taylor Guitars.

While I didn't ask about the Gibsons, I was told that new Martin inventory was expected to be one, or even two years away.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

1 hour ago, Retired said:

I was in Guitar Center and Dietze Music the other day and the selection of Gibson guitars was small and not that great. 

Yep, I was in Guitar Center in N. Myrtle, SC. One of the Gibson's with two holes and one D-18. The rest was three higher end Taylors at about $2700 and a lot of stuff made over seas. TP shortage, change shortage, chicken wing shortage, shortage of people who want to work, and now a guitar shortage. It must be the Apocalypse.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 1/10/2022 at 6:24 AM, SteveFord said:

What the hell is wrong with your company?

It looks like you're sending all of the really nice guitars to England.

What are we, chopped liver?

Please explain.

Thank you,

Steve Ford

I'm glad first post was not the letter you intended to send to Penthouse. "Your not gonna believe this, but stuff like this never happens to me, there I was strumming my guitar on a park bench, when this scantily clad super model approached me, and well you know where it goes from there. She was so impressed with the chord progression, she just had to take me home".

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm glad first post was not the letter you intended to send to Penthouse. "Your not gonna believe this, but stuff like this never happens to me, there I was strumming my guitar on a park bench, when this scantily clan super model approached me, and well you know where it goes from there. She was so impressed with the chord progression, she just had to take me home".

Chief,

You forgot to add that she said afterwards that had you been playing a Gibson instead of the Martin, she wouldn't have bothered stopping.

RBSinTo

5 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

You forgot to add that she said afterwards that had you been playing a Gibson instead of the Martin, she wouldn't have bothered stopping.

RBSinTo

My Martin is my wing-man.

I forgot to add I'm hung like a squirrel.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, SteveFord said:

What the hell is wrong with your company?

It looks like you're sending all of the really nice guitars to England.

What are we, chopped liver?

Please explain.

Thank you,

Steve Ford

Also have you ever seen the mod collection page?  Nothing on it at the moment but you can see whats been sold if you look here.. Some amazing stuff in there

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitars/Collection/Gibson-Mod/sold

Every once in a while I'll take  a look but in all honesty, I don't think I'll be buying any more guitars.

A 335 in natural with black P90s could change that if it had eye-popping wood grain or maybe a red 355 with a VariTone and Lyre tailpiece.

3 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Every once in a while I'll take  a look but in all honesty, I don't think I'll be buying any more guitars.

Thats what I thought till I saw that P90 336 😄

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

Of course, happy to help.. Thats why we are here after all...  And I was the same when I first came on here.. Knew nothing about the technical details  or how to set a guitar up and thanks to this forum (and many hours of youtube videos)  I started building them within like a year of me first being on here.. 

And yes absolutely..  Practicing on a cheaper guitar is very much the way to go.. It doesnt take much experience, you just have to try it a few times..  Its not hard.

Guess my biggest fear before I joined was screwing the guitar up, It's only been the last 3 years that I got enough nerve to tweak the truss rod on the Gold Top.  I bought a kit that details the whole set up process. I set up the cheaper guitars first and it worked.  Haha, The first time I changed strings on our sons Vendetta, the whole guitar fell apart. Took me a few hours trying to figure out how to put it together again. Even some tuning keys fell off. But it did give me confidence when it was back together sounding good. His guitar has a deep base tone I like. 

Chief,  That reminds me, I love those Youtube videos showing how many nuts a squirrel can fit in his cheeks.    Other than that, I mostly like to wonder if we'll just experience 'an apocalypse' as opposed to "The Apocalypse".   A small whimper,  followed by  a gurgle as the toilet finishes flushing.   And we all are required to take CSL (Chinese  as a Second Language) courses   while we work in mammoth sized 'Custom Guitar Factories'  which ship "Custom Shop" guitars "Made In USA" to China.  And get a bowl of Ramen a day.    Fortunately, most of us here have the knowledge and skills to be supervisors and get two bowls.      

One thing that stuck with me since I finished college was that the 'economy'  is International now - and that was 50 years ago.  The US  was  already having electronics assembled in Barbados!  So I'm guessing it got more International and not less when The Far East got into the act.  Gibson will make the limited number of guitars they can, given their capacity limits, and send them to the markets where they can sell the most, fastest, for the most $.   JC learned that while making Levi's in Mexico:   I'm guessing he already knew what I just learned through Google - a pair of 501s will sell for 92% more in Vienna than in LA.   So....   

The Online Guitar market is huge in the USA. Companies like Sweetwater, Wildwood & Musiciansfriend must get the majority of new Gibsons..

with the exception of Hollywood GC all the GC’s I’ve been to in the past several years cater to the Entry level market when it comes to Electric Guitars.. They do have a few higher end Gibsons hung on the wall 20 feet high… And no Sales Guys around…  

23 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

The Online Guitar market is huge in the USA. Companies like Sweetwater, Wildwood & Musiciansfriend must get the majority of new Gibsons..

with the exception of Hollywood GC all the GC’s I’ve been to in the past several years cater to the Entry level market when it comes to Electric Guitars.. They do have a few higher end Gibsons hung on the wall 20 feet high… And no Sales Guys around…  

Good Point.   Being online makes it less desirable for GC and Sam Ash to put $ into high end guitars that may get scratched and dented.

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Chief,  That reminds me, I love those Youtube videos showing how many nuts a squirrel can fit in his cheeks.    Other than that, I mostly like to wonder if we'll just experience 'an apocalypse' as opposed to "The Apocalypse".   A small whimper,  followed by  a gurgle as the toilet finishes flushing.   And we all are required to take CSL (Chinese  as a Second Language) courses   while we work in mammoth sized 'Custom Guitar Factories'  which ship "Custom Shop" guitars "Made In USA" to China.  And get a bowl of Ramen a day.    Fortunately, most of us here have the knowledge and skills to be supervisors and get two bowls.      

One thing that stuck with me since I finished college was that the 'economy'  is International now - and that was 50 years ago.  The US  was  already having electronics assembled in Barbados!  So I'm guessing it got more International and not less when The Far East got into the act.  Gibson will make the limited number of guitars they can, given their capacity limits, and send them to the markets where they can sell the most, fastest, for the most $.   JC learned that while making Levi's in Mexico:   I'm guessing he already knew what I just learned through Google - a pair of 501s will sell for 92% more in Vienna than in LA.   So....   

Don't goods sell for more over seas due to import tax and tariff's (which may be the same thing just a big fancy word) and stuff like that? My B.S. is in Liberal Arts, so big fancy classes like Micro and Macro Economics, I avoided.  

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

with the exception of Hollywood GC all the GC’s I’ve been to in the past several years cater to the Entry level market when it comes to Electric Guitars.. They do have a few higher end Gibsons hung on the wall 20 feet high… 

They are getting surprisingly close to what MARS was before they gurgled into their final bankruptcy.

rct

25 minutes ago, rct said:

They are getting surprisingly close to what MARS was before they gurgled into their final bankruptcy.

rct

With JC at the helm and being a not only a jeans guy but a candy man too, you would think he would include some real candy in the cases. Like a bag of M & M's with peanuts, plain of course for those with allergies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1