Gibson Brands Forums

Describing A Guitars Sound

Sgt. Pepper

Now let me say that I do not want to get into a Martin VS Gibson pissing match. That is not my intent. As Bobouz said its time to bury the hatched and stop the stupid M Vs G thing. 

So how do you describe a guitars (acoustic) sound or tone? It said that Martin guys say Martin has the Martin Sound. Well what the hell exactly is it? To me it is the sound you make when playing a Martin. The Gibson guys say those guitars have the Thump. What the hell is that? All I know is the ones I own to me sound good, or I would not play, own and pay for them. As I am sure the same goes for you. Hog is different from RW or Maple, but how so you pin down the exact tone, and how do you put it in words?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Now let me say that I do not want to get into a Martin VS Gibson pissing match. That is not my intent. As Bobouz its time to bury the hatched and stop the stupid M Vs G thing. 

So how do you describe a guitars (acoustic) sound or tone? It said that Martin guys say Martin has the Martin Sound. Well what the hell exactly is it? To me it is the sound you make when playing a Martin. The Gibson guys say those guitars have the Thump. What the hell is that? All I know is the ones I own to me sound good, or I would not play, own and pay for them. As I am sure the same is for you. Hog is different from RW or Maple, but how so you pin down the exact tone you how do you put it in words?

The characteristics are different I guess, but trying to put it in words, just never really works.

Like, what the heck does "jangely" mean?

Chief,

As I've said this before, trying to describe any sensory sensation in words is a waste of time. 

The Gibson "thump" and Gibson "Nectar" are terms that mean exactly nothing, unless the sounds they are trying to describe can actually be heard.

RBSinTo 

2 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

As I've said this before, trying to describe any sensory sensation in words is a waste of time. 

The Gibson "thump" and Gibson "Nectar" are terms that mean exactly nothing, unless the sounds they are trying to describe can actually be heard.

RBSinTo 

Nectar is one of the best. Apparently I learned here that hummingbirds have  something to do with honey making. I though it was bees that did that. 

I always thought Gibsons have a more CHORDAL sound, as in, the notes sound/feel more blended/blurred together, while Martins on the average have more clarity and string-to-string separation.  The blend/chordal thing is more pronounced some eras than others - I think 1955-1964 LG-2s have a little more clarity and note separation and I think it has to do with the wider, lower braces used during that period, but I could just be telling myself that.  I DO believe the compression of Gibsons is greater because of the parabolic arch thing in the top and back, which makes sense.  The original designers of Gibson's flat top guitars worked for a company that specialized in ARCHTOPS, and I still hear the archtop DNA in my J-45.

EDIT:  Going along with that, I think compression/blurring/chordal  thing is part of why singers like J-45s so much.  They complement the human voice very well.

Edited by rustystrings

"That thing sounds nice".  That's about all I've ever needed to describe the sound of a guitar, any guitar, to a reasonably experienced guitar player.  "Nice" is relative to body size and shape and is it mahogany is it rosewood, that stuff.  Most experienced guitar players have some idea what an expensive Gibson or Martin or Taylor sounds like.  Same for electrics.  If you don't know what a good Strat or Tele or Les Paul sounds like you probably should work some stuff out on your own before trying to engage in conversations like that.

"Thump".  That is when you half mute the fat strings on a decent pickup'd electric and pound that riff on the bottom.  Percussive, pants flapping speaker movement.  Thump.  I suppose similar for acoustics, but I don't really seek "thump" on my Martins, and only Martins.

lolz

rct

Overtones is good.  The harmonic content that can come out of that guitar, the stuff that you hear that you didn't even have to try to make happen.  I think the opposite is "dull".  Picking, hitting, even fretting hand can help contribute to the harmonic content.

rct

My mind is simple. For me a guitar sound is a mix of "boom", "roar" and "bing".... low, mids, highs.  Each as its signature and subtilities in the mix of those, given the woods, braces, strings, saddle, ...

In blind tests many would fail to distinguish guitar builders. Even with the iconics J45 and D18 can sometimes lead to very surprising results without the help of eyes.

Knowledge of the builder and seeing the guitar is a very big bias when listening.

(I thought that"thump" was that sort of compressed lows).

Edited by pimousso

Sound wise, I flat out prefer the sound of an advanced bracing HD Rosewood Martin when just playing for myself. It seems bright, loud and a strummed chord will ring on forever.  In my later years, I’d had issues with the square shoulder and neck profiles so I have somewhat got away from them. Comfort wise I prefer a slope shoulder and went through quite a few Gibsons before I found a couple that came close to the sound I was looking for. 
Listening wise I seem to prefer Maple guitars. They just sound better to me when listening but I do not get the same impression when they’re on my lap. 
I’ve been through a ton of mahogany guitars but only found a few that I cared for and the thumpy bass without smothering the highs and mids seem to be what I’m looking for. I’ve had a couple Birds and their sound is what I would call pretty. Even balance across the board and would be great for singing along with. I promised my family years ago that I would not sing in public.  

Edited by Dave F

5 minutes ago, JWG4927 said:

yes

that is what mine sounds like when the strings go away. but it looks like this

NIZyjz3.png

and I'm sure Sgt Martin would love using this, so I include the link

https://artistic-pod.com/products/black-guitar-bathroom-set

WEcHV1s.png

At least that looks like a cheap Mexican made Martin in the tub, and I said to bobouz, I wouldn't go and do the Martin VS Gibson bashing thing any more, but the Gibson toilet cover could be the start of many jokes and I wont do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

At least that looks like a cheap Mexican made Martin in the tub, and I said to bobouz, I wouldn't go and do the Martin VS Gibson bashing thing any more, but the Gibson toilet cover could be the start of many jokes and I wont do it.

That's very cool of you. Even though the old Sgt Pepper was more entertaining and that's who I put it up there for, I get you.

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

My personal favorite was "chocolatey."  I do believe I ran across that one on this forum.

I was thinking of that one before seeing it here down in the thread. Might have been coined by our man in Prague - not me, though I got the meaning back then. .

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nectar is one of the best. Apparently I learned here that hummingbirds have  something to do with honey making. I though it was bees that did that. 

Thanx - as mentioned the other day I'm almost sure it came from my pen. Long ago when honey-glazed dried a bit out. I still use them both. 

5 hours ago, rct said:

"Thump".  That is when you half mute the fat strings on a decent pickup'd electric and pound that riff on the bottom.  Percussive, pants flapping speaker movement.  Thump.  I suppose similar for acoustics, but I don't really seek "thump" on my Martins, and only Martins.

Yeah - you can find it on many acoustics, but the Gibson thump is special, , , scalloped, woody and somewhat subdued. 

4 hours ago, pimousso said:

(I thought that"thump" was that sort of compressed lows).

👍

A few of my guitars sound like their smells:

1944 Martin 0-17 - smoky bacon on wholemeal toast.

8 month old Martin OMC-15ME - peanut butter on wholemeal toast.

1959 Gibson LG3 (Old Stinky) - well, a dirty bone the dog dug up and left on my pillow as a sign of ...love?

1937 Gibson L-00 - (Old Splinters) - something from my freezer on a crispbread before I noticed the freezer had croaked.

1935 Gibson L50 Black Special - old cupboard where the beef jerky was stored?

6 month old Maton all Aust Blackwood EBW808 - salted cashews...

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

34 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

A few of my guitars sound like their smells:

1944 Martin 0-17 - smoky bacon on wholemeal toast.

8 month old Martin OMC-15ME - peanut butter on wholemeal toast.

1959 Gibson LG3 (Old Stinky) - well, a dirty bone the dog dug up and left on my pillow as a sign of ...love?

1937 Gibson L-00 - (Old Splinters) - something from my freezer on a crispbread before I noticed the freezer had croaked.

1935 Gibson L50 Black Special - old cupboard where the beef jerky was stored?

6 month old Maton all Aust Blackwood EBW808 - salted cashews...

BluesKing777.

None of mine remind me of food.

Awhile back there was a thread on one’s favorite, or least favorite descriptive terms. It was an enjoyable thread. It looked a lot like this one.

Nonetheless I am going to make an attempt to define or describe some usable terms. These descriptions are my poor unscientific attempt. You may call me an idiot if you like, but please don’t kick me off the forum. I enjoy it. 🙂

Some descriptions’ have at least some validity, I think?

Overtones – these are measurable on an oscilloscope; they are harmonic sound waves that accompany the fundament note.

Note clarity – The fundamental is very strong with the complementing harmonics further in the background.

Note separation – The fundamental notes of a complex series have a high degree of separation form the other fundamentals and have a high degree of distinction. They are less overlapping or bleeding into each other. This is related to note clarity. I believe this as well could be seen on an oscilloscope. (one description of less clarity is fuzzy)

Quick decay – This obviously refers to how much or how little sustain a note and or its overtones have. The j45 has a quick delay and I believe it attributes to the so called thump.

Bass and Treble – These are common terms: that guitar is bright; of course, all of these descriptions are comparative.

Strong or strong highs etc. – there is a low, mid, and high range. Generally speaking, wooden stringed instruments that have a stronger (louder) mid have lower highs and lows and visa versa.