Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I wouldn't mind seeing that photo.  Once for an adult night photography class I did a series of photos called "Out Of Gas" which were photographs of recognizable former gas stations repurposed for other businesses.  Ah, but when me and the ex split she dumped the photos before I could get back to retrieve them.  [sad]

Whitefang

I attempted the same thing - here in TX -  some really cool ones, some abandoned.  Lost the couple of dozen I had when I switched phones back when the Apple Company assumed you didn't want to keep Contacts, Photos, Music, etc. Because, after all - it was only a  portable substitute for a pay phone !     Lots of the gas stations were Nail Salons as I recall.    I remember - 50 years ago - in NY, there was one.  It was right on the side of  what had been one of the main hi ways out to Long Island. Southern State Pkwy I believe.  Probably built in the early 30s.  It  was a solid stone small gas station around 30 yards off the 2 lanes heading West. It had it's own very short exit and entrance ramp.    Obviously built for when the cars were slow and clunky and only went 30mph.   Something I'm sure my parents never thought about - but a great glimpse for the Baby Boomers of how slower, kinder and gentler things had been before WWII.   Sort of like a Norman Rockwell subject.  

• Like 1

Word of advice 40;

You CAN get the photos in your phone printed out at any CVS or Walgreen's.  That way important family photos won't get lost forever if something happens to your phone, like getting stolen or seriously damaged or whatnot.  Like my sister in law, whose only pictures of her great grand daughter were on her phone, which fell unnoticed out of her purse and not noticed it was gone and wasn't to be found in the mall parking lot which she thought it might be where it fell out.  Sure.  Her Granddaughter sent her more pictures(she lives 140 miles away in Northern Michigan) but it's not the same. Some of those pictures were taken in her home and with Grandpa in there with her too.  Those and important phone numbers of old friends she hasn't written down anywhere else so she couldn't contact them to let them know she has a different phone and new number.  

Most of the old gas stations I shot were "mini marts", which were there when they were still gas stations.  A few became discount flower shops,  one is now the Park Tire shop, one a foreign car repair shop.  Another became a Mickey Shore car audio shop.(Mickey Shore was a popular local DJ back in the "say").  Over the years some of them became SPRINT and T-MOBILE outlets. 

In neighboring Southgate, MI is an old gas station, built in the '30's of an art deco architecture style that was recently repainted and still sells gasoline.   And only one stall for minor repairs.  Not sure which oil company ran it originally, but it's been a Mobil station since I can remember. 

Whitefang

45 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

When electric starters on motorcycles were really uncommon and derided as being effete.

Or had to use the "stick shift" on your Harley or Indian motorcycle to change gears.

332013969431-1_600.jpg

Whitefang

• Like 1

Remembering as a kid, mom would send me out in the AM to hand crank/start and warm up the Hillman Minx so she wouldnt be late for work. Once stared, wedge the hand crank between the pedal and seat to keep idle raised so it wouldnt die.

Edited by CROWB8

24 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Remembering...... the Hillman Minx....

My Mum had one.  Number plate 513 YPL. 

My Dad had an Austin A105 with overdrive, plate 969 GPC.

And I just remembered my 1st car HEJ 976G, a sherwood green Austin Minivan.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

When you grew up in a time when houses were not air conditioned

When cars didn't have AC either.

When you bought "Black Diamond" brand guitar strings, not by the set, but individual strings.

When you ate at restaurants (Diners) that had counter-top jukebox terminals on the counters, 10 cents a play, three plays for a quarter.

You remember when there were no 10 speed bicycles, and a 3 speed was called an "English Racer"

• Like 1

When I was a youngster, around seven or eight years old, my mother would visit the hairdresser every Saturday morning. The salon was about three or four blocks away, and above a variety store.

When she would run out of ciggerettes, she'd phone home and summon me to the salon, which I would walk or bike to.

She'd give me 37 cents (!!!!), and I'd go downstairs, buy a package of Menthol cigarettes, take them back to her and then return home.

There was never any question about a young child purchasing ciggerettes, a salon full of women smoking, or that they smoked indoors.

Signs of the times.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

When I was maybe 7ish,  my mother made a rare trip to a beauty salon.  Someone called for her and I answered the phone.  I told them she wasn't there - she was at the Saloon.   Got some immediate, positive feedback on that one.  

My mother went every Saturday morning along with all the other Jewish women in the neighbourhood.

In addition to the hairdo, it was a coffee klatch, gossip session, weekly social event that was the Facebook of its time.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  I guess back in the day  Full Time Housewives had few options. That, Tupperware Parties, talking over the backyard fence and telephones.  

I don't consider Tupperware parties to be all that long ago.  My ex was still going to them after our 2nd was born in 1975.  I wouldn't try telling HER that those parties are as ancient as she is.  Not without anything guarding your groin.   [cool]

But I do recall when my Mother was the neighborhood "Avon lady".   She'd even have me and my brother make deliveries.  Ack!  Sometimes having to go several blocks farther than we were allowed to go when outside playing.  Carrying those "stinky" perfumed little bags.  Got so women we didn't know knew whose kids we were which extended my Mom's "network" so we couldn't get away with any mischief  no matter how far we thought we were from our neighborhood.  Anyone recall those parental "networks"?  Someone who knew whose kid you were would give Mom a call and when you got home you'd be welcomed with an azz whipping because some lady some ten blocks away called your Mom and snitched.  And since my Mom raised us with the motto(which she passed down and served me well also) "Never put ANYTHING past your kids!",   we were usually guilty of the transgression we were getting our butts whipped for.

Whitefang