Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

I'll never understand owning more than one pair of sneakers. I wear them until they fall apart. When I realize I'm walking on bloody stumps, then and only then is it time for a new pair. 

Well, I buy two pairs at a time, so I don't have to go shoe shopping when they finally disintegrate. 

I'd make a lousy woman. 

• Haha 1

The big names in sneakers(or what we called "tennis shoes") back in the "day" were Keds, PF Flyers and the iconic  Converse "All Star" hi-tops.  But in the tax bracket I grew up in, whichever off-brand sold at S.S. Kresge were what I had. 

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

You remember when the halftime show consisted of marching bands from major universities.

I remember Lions' games where even local high school marching bands did the halftime shows. 

That was back when they played at Briggs stadium.  Which later became Tiger's stadium. One local sportscaster, on a show recalling those days said he had to work hard at remembering not to say, "It's second down and second base to go....." [biggrin]

Whitefang

On 11/21/2022 at 8:39 PM, CROWB8 said:

When you remember going from bias ply to radials.

Oil bath air filters to paper eliments. Remeber toilet paper rolls?

Whats a PCV valve anyway. Remember trucks with heavy load bellowing blue smoke from under engine. Via the "breather tube"

On 11/22/2022 at 7:17 PM, Notes_Norton said:

When you could buy strings one at a time, instead of an entire set. Or singler reeds instead of a box.

When bands used the house PA for vocals.

When bands played with no monitors and shared a microphone so they could hear each other.

When echos used recording tape loops. (Echoplex)

String sets came with extra E and B.

Churches always had the best PAs.

Remember when Sure Vocal Master PAs came out with, at the time, killer anti feedback shields.

Altec speakers that you could pop.

Over driven, JBL D-120s, 130s, and 140s lived forever.

Going to hardware store or TV repair shop to test your amp tubes. 6L6's 12AUX.

The foul smell of an amp transformer frying.

Sun amps.

Introduction of Acoustics 360B with 1x18" folded horn speaker with amp in cab.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, Whitefang said:

Well, I haven't been asked that(yet),  but I don't need help getting the groceries out to the car, but really could use some help getting them into the house.  [wink]

So, I'm guessing you've never seen this( due to age, or just being in the UK)?

Whitefang

On 11/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, Whitefang said:

The big names in sneakers(or what we called "tennis shoes") back in the "day" were Keds, PF Flyers and the iconic  Converse "All Star" hi-tops.  But in the tax bracket I grew up in, whichever off-brand sold at S.S. Kresge were what I had. 

Whitefang

I remember. Rubber, canvas, rivet eyelets, cotton laces, quality stitching and glue. Lived forever

As a kid, tearing up Keds and Flyers was hard to do. I'd grow out of 'em first. I remember the soles wearing out. Getting "hand me downs"

Pitty. Construction and materials are supposed to be better now. Nah.... BS.

As an adult, I'd pay. $45~ for Nike, and inside a month the sole would separate. 

Arg.

Edited by CROWB8

Remember getting your first demo 33pm pressed? Size of a 45rpm disc.

Then going around to the FM radio stations (only two, save the U-dub) and pounding on the sound proof windows, holding up your demo and a bag of pot.

That always gets 'em. They'd take it gladly. Still, hardly ever played the demo. Truth, never. Of course, you're out an $8 four finger lid. 

Seattle Wa. '68-'70 ish for me.

Sorry, is this "G" audience? Lemmie take that back. Not!!!!

Edited by CROWB8

21 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Remeber toilet paper rolls?

Whats a PCV valve anyway. 

Toilet paper rolls?  Sure.  I throw hem out whenever they're empty of toilet paper.  [wink] Unless for some reason I use Kleenex instead.  Then I throw out the box.

As for the other?'Here ya go------

s-l640.jpg

Whitefang

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Toilet paper rolls?  Sure.  I throw hem out whenever they're empty of toilet paper.  [wink] Unless for some reason I use Kleenex instead.  Then I throw out the box.

As for the other?'Here ya go------

s-l640.jpg

You are jesting. What, no pic of TP?😁

Edited by CROWB8

When you were on dial-up and someone said, "Please log off the Internet, I have to use the phone,"

When you could pay your way through college with a part-time job.

When the country music stars had short haircuts, and the pop music stars had long hair.

When the only effect anyone had on a guitar was the tremolo built into some amps.

When people would intentionally blow out the speakers in a guitar amp so they could play with distortion.

When $10 per man per gig was decent pay.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

When you were on dial-up and someone said, "Please log off the Internet, I have to use the phone,"

When you could pay your way through college with a part-time job.

When the country music stars had short haircuts, and the pop music stars had long hair.

When the only effect anyone had on a guitar was the tremolo built into some amps.

When people would intentionally blow out the speakers in a guitar amp so they could play with distortion.

When $10 per man per gig was decent pay.

1.  I remember those early days of dial-up when I'd be kicked off line whenever anyone called my house on the phone.  [biggrin]

2.  Yeah, that hair thing was an odd switch.  Beards too.  

3.  Don't forget the reverb effect too.  [wink]

And I remember one fool back in the "day" who figured the easiest and cheapest way to bet distortion(or "fuzz") on his guitar was to poke holes in his amp's speaker's paper cones with a Phillips head screwdriver.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang