Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

Ten years ago, wife and I were packing to head out to meet with family (our 4 kids and their kids) for a week at a Gulf Coast beach house we rented.  Being a little crazy, I decided to hide my CD collection in case of a burglary.   Couldn't think of a good place - then hit on it. Had taken out the trash and had a new bag in the kitchen garbage pail.  Decided to hide them there.   Knew I'd remember after a week of vacationing and would retrieve them as soon as we got home.    And, I did.  A couple of months too late. 

• Haha 1

Too bad.  Should have hidden them UNDER that new bag in the pail.  But then too....

I've known people who've had their homes broken into and have their sound system stolen(like me as well).  Along with some jewelry  and maybe a few costly looking knick-knacks.  But NOBODY ever wailed about someone breaking into their homes and stealing their CDs.  Or even vinyl back in the "day".   In my case they only took the receiver and CD player and EQ. ( Left behind the speakers(too huge to run down the street carrying them) turntable and all the CDs and vinyl LPs.   Just taking the CDs wouldn't have pissed me so much.

Whitefang

You seem to get a lot of good news/bad news as you age.

Good news from the butt surgeon was come back in a year (not six months) and then we'll do in 3 years and then in 5 years.

Bad news is that he didn't go any further in time than that which means he doesn't plan that far ahead, he thinks I'll be dead before visit #4 rolls around or I'll be too poor to afford his services.

Hmmm...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

You seem to get a lot of good news/bad news as you age.

Good news from the butt surgeon was come back in a year (not six months) and then we'll do in 3 years and then in 5 years.

Bad news is that he didn't go any further in time than that which means he doesn't plan that far ahead, he thinks I'll be dead before visit #4 rolls around or I'll be too poor to afford his services.

Hmmm...

Our Butt Guy (Dr. Ben Dover)  last time round told us, having hit our 70s didn't need to come back.   But I think he got behind in his yacht payments and we got notice we were back on a 3 year schedule.  I guess the science  evolves in direct proportion to how the cash flow devolves. 

22 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yessss!  I don’t want people always saying, “He’s such a nice old guy.”  I want at least a few people saying, “Good Lord!  That old son of a ***** is crazy!”

The trick to having that happen is to have people saying that about you back when they didn't need to add the "old".  [wink]

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Our Butt Guy (Dr. Ben Dover)  last time round told us, having hit our 70s didn't need to come back.   But I think he got behind in his yacht payments and we got notice we were back on a 3 year schedule.  I guess the science  evolves in direct proportion to how the cash flow devolves. 

"Behind" in his yacht payments!  Hee-Hee.    [wink]

Try this on a friend for kicks....

Next time a buddy mentions he has to get a colonoscopy tell him....

"Be sure to tell him to be careful and don't poke you in the eye!"  😜

Whitefang

22 hours ago, mihcmac said:

When you spend too much time staring at this screen trying to think of something stupid to say.

Well, you know in this forum there's lots of evidence it doesn't take some people all that long or much effort to accomplish that.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Unless you paid several thousand extra for someone to do it for you. 🙂 

Yes when you are old enough to have an extra several thousand laying around.  🙂

Edited by mihcmac
  • Haha 1

I never managed to get to that point in money, but in guitars value......:-k  I hope so, as the way things are going.....

George Harrison and John Entwistle died almost 20 years ago.....2016 when musicians were dropping like flies is already 6 years ago.

And if I'm here in a decade I will be telling people "yes...you could just run the tap in my day" about water.   There won't be many birds and bees by then, either.    Bet on it.   I'm so old I still think we could reverse some of that if we really try. 

They're releasing a box set of Creedence Clearwater Revival Live at the Albert Hall 1970.   I was there; I was young.  It was bloody fantastic.  I don't remember the support band being Booker T  and the MGs but it says they were.

You know you're old when someone says "you must have seen Steve Cropper too then when you were 15" and you say....

"Did I?"

[unsure]

Edited by jdgm

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

When Cokes were a nickel.

Or came in an actual glass bottle.

To this day, the coldest sodas I ever had came from those gas station coolers where the coinage opened a gate and you floated your soda in ice cold water around the channels, thru the gate, and lift it out.

29 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Or came in an actual glass bottle.

To this day, the coldest sodas I ever had came from those gas station coolers where the coinage opened a gate and you floated your soda in ice cold water around the channels, thru the gate, and lift it out.

• Like 1

I know I'm old when I hear the phrase  'bubble gum card' and it triggers   my memory of  my stack of 1950s baseball cards, which I know included at least one Mickey Mantle because, being brought up outside of NYC - had most every card from the Yankees, Dodgers and even the lowly Giants.   Not sure where my two shoe boxes of baseball cards wound up.  Although, now that I think of it, my younger brother retired early and has a lot of nice cars...

• Haha 1