Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I never notice bass players being any weirder than anyone else they're with.  Especially when a drummer is in the mix.  [wink]

Whitefang

When I was a kid, I told my mom I wanted to grow up to be a bass player!    She said, "Make up your mind....you can't do both!"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Or you need a jacket out in weather you typically always used to go out  in just shirtsleeves.  I do since I've been on Coumadin therapy( a very aggressive blood thinner).

Whitefang

Did you know Coumadin (Warfarin)started out as rat poison? It's still used today as a rodenticide. 

17 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

... when you can't remember stuff 'cause most of what's happening these days isn't worth remembering...  😁

,,,  and it keeps repeating.    I remember some of the stuff going on now - happening 50 years ago, names changed is all.  I just hope the "fashions" from the 70's never come back.  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Did you know Coumadin (Warfarin)started out as rat poison? It's still used today as a rodenticide. 

Wasn't aware of that, but thanks for the info.  Next time I drop some on the floor I'll just leave it there for protection.  [wink]

19 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

... when you can't remember stuff 'cause most of what's happening these days isn't worth remembering...  😁

That's not getting old, just getting smart.  [wink]

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

,,,  and it keeps repeating.    I remember some of the stuff going on now - happening 50 years ago, names changed is all.  I just hope the "fashions" from the 70's never come back.  

Depends on what you refer to.  Much of what I wear these days is much like what I wore in the '70's.  Shirts and jeans.  I never got into the high waisted "baggies"  or the double knit polyester Disco garb.   And otherwise....  considered "quaint"and laughable now, I still kinda miss my "rain lamp"  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Wasn't aware of that, but thanks for the info.  Next time I drop some on the floor I'll just leave it there for protection.  [wink]

That's not getting old, just getting smart.  [wink]

Depends on what you refer to.  Much of what I wear these days is much like what I wore in the '70's.  Shirts and jeans.  I never got into the high waisted "baggies"  or the double knit polyester Disco garb.   And otherwise....  considered "quaint"and laughable now, I still kinda miss my "rain lamp"  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

WF, wore ties all they back to 1965 when I was playing on stage.   Then, I became part of management at Peterbilt in 1971....wore a white shirt and tie the rest of my days there.... plus the 2 years at MACK Trucks....then at GILLIG for 39 years.   I've not put on a tie since retirement.... I have well over 100 Tee Shirts and sweat pants....it's my "Official Uniform" these days!

• Like 1

Went for an excellent pub lunch today with one of my oldest friends.

But there was intrusive  rap music playing on the speaker in the corner above our table and - because I'm old and because the waitress was nice (and seemed very young to me) - I asked if we could hear some 'Dad' music.   "I'll see what we've got" she said.

What we got was 60s reggae....[laugh][laugh]  Probably all they had but a lot better than rap.

Edited by jdgm

On 8/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, gearbasher said:

Yeah, Coumadin is a derivative of Dicoumarol (spelling?) which was used as a major rat control poison for many years.  However, doctors found that by itself, Coumadin was an excellent anti-coagulant for human blood.  My dad died at 96 ( a month short of 97) and he was on Coumadin for over 30 years.    It can be a life-saver.

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

WF, wore ties all they back to 1965 when I was playing on stage.   Then, I became part of management at Peterbilt in 1971....wore a white shirt and tie the rest of my days there.... plus the 2 years at MACK Trucks....then at GILLIG for 39 years.   I've not put on a tie since retirement.... I have well over 100 Tee Shirts and sweat pants....it's my "Official Uniform" these days!

Only wore ties when dressing up on some holidays.  For work, well, only job I had that required a tie was when I was a stock boy at K-Mart.  Then as a wedding photographer I wore one with my suits at assignments.  Nobody at Cadillac and GM Powertrain wore ties except the foremen and higher management.  Which I was thankfully not.

Whitefang

45 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Only wore ties when dressing up on some holidays.  For work, well, only job I had that required a tie was when I was a stock boy at K-Mart.  Then as a wedding photographer I wore one with my suits at assignments.  Nobody at Cadillac and GM Powertrain wore ties except the foremen and higher management.  Which I was thankfully not.

Whitefang

About a year before I retired, the President announced that ties were no longer required for the executives, (except when dealing with customers in person).   I told him I would not change my dress code, and continued to wear a tie in the office until the day I retired.

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 1