Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

Our family doctor use to smoke during our visits - in his Exam Room while he was seeing us kids.   I guess the Medical Community believed what the Tobacco Community was telling them.   His office was in a wing of his home.  Appointment only, because his 'waiting room' was maybe 5 seats. He had no nurse, receptionist, biller, etc. He did it all - from taking our Blood Pressure to collecting the cash payment.  I think it was $5.      This was before the Health Insurance Community came into being.  Yes, the Good Old Days. 

• Like 1

Yeah.  Doctors who practiced out of their homes.  Like Donna Reed's TV husband(Carl Betz)  And Marcus Welby.  My dad used to go to a dentist in Detroit whose practice was set in the basement of his house.

And doctors made house calls!   When I had chicken pox I remember Dr. Mack coming to the house to check on me.  It always struck me funny that his office was in a building on a corner next to the (still going) Solosy Funeral home. [omg]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Our family doctor use to smoke during our visits - in his Exam Room while he was seeing us kids.   I guess the Medical Community believed what the Tobacco Community was telling them.   His office was in a wing of his home.  Appointment only, because his 'waiting room' was maybe 5 seats. He had no nurse, receptionist, biller, etc. He did it all - from taking our Blood Pressure to collecting the cash payment.  I think it was $5.      This was before the Health Insurance Community came into being.  Yes, the Good Old Days. 

26 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah.  Doctors who practiced out of their homes.  Like Donna Reed's TV husband(Carl Betz)  And Marcus Welby.  My dad used to go to a dentist in Detroit whose practice was set in the basement of his house.

And doctors made house calls!   When I had chicken pox I remember Dr. Mack coming to the house to check on me.  It always struck me funny that his office was in a building on a corner next to the (still going) Solosy Funeral home. [omg]

Whitefang

My Cardiologist still has his practice in the basement of his house. His wife is the receptionist/biller. He does everything. He's also 73 years old and has been practicing for 47 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

When you remember owning a Plymouth or DeSoto car.

When you had a telephone number that started with a word like Kingsbridge which translated to something like KI7-5739

I once had a '67 Plymouth Belvedere.  And phone numbers in my town used to start with either Warwick or Dunkirk.  I remember the one when I was really young.  WA8-0688.  And speaking of cars;

You're getting old when you remember your Grandmother's Henry J.image-placeholder-title.jpg

Whitefang

• Like 1

Henry J's were cool cars.

I had a Plymouth Fury once, but never a DeSoto.

Mrs. Notes has an AMC Jeep CJ-5 she bought new in 1978 and has over 300,000 miles on it. She has replaced the carb and had the transmission rebuilt. Other than that, just normal maintenance items.

speaking of cars and back on topic

... When you remember when Cadillacs were the only cars with power windows.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

And also remember when Cadillac was one of the few luxury cars that came with AM/FM stereo 8-track players as standard equipment.  I started working for Cadillac in Nov. '71 and my job was across from the paint repair line and the foremen got mad at me fro bringing in my 8-track tapes to play in one of the cars at lunchtime.  [wink]

Whitefang

14 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Or you remember when turning right at a red light wasn't legal.

Here's an odd one.

For about 30 years there was only one place most people knew of where a right turn on a red light was legal.  It was at the intersection of Jefferson Ave. and Southfield Rd. in Ecorse, Michigan.  That is, until the law was passed in the state to make right turns on a red light legal just bout everywhere.  THAT'S when a sign went up at the aforementioned intersection informing people, "No right turn on red light allowed".  [confused]

Whitefang

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

You check your emails and discover you ordered a Buck Ranger Slim Pro TRX knife from both eBay and Amazon and don't remember placing the Amazon order.

Nice knife !...   good steel, American made.    I got a 2nd Kershaw Blur by accident 5 or 6 years ago right after my first - held on to it in case I lost the first.   Because the very first pocket clip knife I ever bought (25 years ago?) got lost the first day.   I've  found that if the clip is BIC ballpoint pen crap - the whole knife probably is.   

On 12/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, Whitefang said:

Speaking of which....

You remember when patients in  hospitals could smoke in their rooms.  And their visitors could smoke with them.  And on the topic....

You remember watching cigarette commercials on TV.

And one of them claimed doctors preferred and recommended Camel cigarettes.  [omg]

Ah, yes.  The GOOD old days.

\:D/ Whitefang

I was a very heavy smoker from about age 16 until 1990 when I was 42, and quit for the third and last time.

And when I played hockey in university, during games where I was the back-up, rather than the starting goalie, I smoked on the bench, without protests from anyone.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1