Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

1 hour ago, Tman said:

Your grandfather was born in 1883 and you realize no one else that you know has a grandfather born in the 19th centrury.

My dad was born in 1905 and died in 1977.  His father was born in the 19th C and had died by the time I came along in 1954.

Edited by jdgm

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

My dad was born in 1905 and died in 1977.  His father was born in the 19th C and had died by the time I came along in 1954.

Then we both are getting old. 🙂  My Dad was born in 1916 so yours could have been his older brother.

In the movie MR. PEABODY AND THE MERMAID William Powell makes the comment:

"50 years old.  The old age of youth.  The youth of old age."   [biggrin]

And of course the threshold of being "old" is "middle aged".  And there's been a lot of speculation as to how someone knows they reached middle age.  And I've said for years................

You know you've reached middle age when you wake up in the morning, and it's your BACK that's stiff!  [thumbup]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

Or maybe if you remember saying ANY version of The Pledge Of allegiance in school.  I remember my daughters telling me they never said it  when they were in elementary school.  And there's another "getting old" thing....

Remembering when we called elementary school "grade school".  And "middle school" was "junior high".   [wink]

And it was called "Script", not "cursive"  which I understand isn't being taught anymore.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Head shops too.

But, if you can remember head shops you probably didn't patronize them much anyway.  [wink]

Whitefang

I member em. Only place to get water pipes and such. Couldnt mention pot or they'd have to kick you out. Eventually, in Seattle, they got raided and shut down. Then they'd win a court case., be back, get raided again when mayor wrote another law. Now they are "smoke" shops.

Head shops???

Boy are you guys ever young.

Sounds like I have underwear older than most of you........and I'm wearing it.

How about atomic bomb tests broadcast live on black and white T.V. in the early 1950's.

Free air for filling tires at service stations (which is what we called "gas stations" back then).

A rubber hose that crossed the ground in front of the pumps, and caused a bell to ring when a car crossed it, so the attendant would come out and gas up your car, as well as wipe the windows, check the oil and replenish fluids under the hood....all unasked.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Head shops???

How about atomic bomb tests broadcast live on black and white T.V. in the early 1950's.

Free air for filling tires at service stations (which is what we called "gas stations" back then).

A rubber hose that crossed the ground in front of the pumps, and caused a bell to ring when a car crossed it, so the attendant would come out and gas up your car, as well as wipe the windows, check the oil and replenish fluids under the hood....all unasked.

RBSinTo

I member all that. But for me, was mayb 5 yrs your junior. '55 here.

Edited by CROWB8

22 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Head shops???

Sounds like I have underwear older than most of you........and I'm wearing it.

RBSinTo

I remember all that, and I also remember the A-Bomb drills, getting under our desk -- as if that would help.

And every gas station had a mechanic there who could fix your car.

And before recreational drugs hit the youth market, if the cops raided your party, they would confiscate the alcohol, and threaten to call your parents next time.

I got caught once at a big beach party they raided. I hid in a tree everyone split, and started walking, met a girl who also hid, and the cops picked us up, drove us to the police station, and called our parents to come get us.

We didn't get put in a cell, the police didn't have an attitude, they were more like uncles telling us we were disobeying than the attitude the police have now. Nobody got upset, excited, or even nervous. Back then, the policeman was your friend.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

......We didn't get put in a cell, the police didn't have an attitude, they were more like uncles telling us we were disobeying than the attitude the police have now. Nobody got upset, excited, or even nervous. Back then, the policeman was your friend.

Notes ♫

They tossed me in a holding cell with whom they thought was a hard case to teach me a lesson. Appearently, they didnt search him well. He whipped out a joint and lit up. Had a good time. I was 16.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:53 PM, Pinch said:

You think, maybe I'll buy a Les Paul, and then realize you can afford to. 

Remember buying my 1974 LPCBB 20th aniv for $700 USD w case. Talked the guy into giving me a strap, pick, and cord too. We both smiled as I walked out. Not sure he knew it was a 20th. I never brought it up.

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1