Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

On 10/31/2023 at 9:14 AM, fortyearspickn said:

When your granddaughter asks you if you knew George Washington. 

Playing the historian’s variation of the “6 degrees” game, this kinda blew my mind:

In 1972, I was introduced to a sweet, 104 year old lady who took care of four generations of my family.  

Years later I did the math and realized I had spoken with a women who knew my ggg grandparents who were born in Virginia in the 1780s. 

So here in the 21st century, I’m only 1 degree separated from knowing people who lived in the 18th century.  Not really here nor there, but just kinda shows how “ancient” history isn’t really so far away.

So to bring it home, “you know you are old when: you knew people who knew people who could’ve known George Washington?”

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Who you're invisible to younger women!

Not really my experience - a number of young girls still act like they wanna, not go home with me, but catch my attention.                                                                                         As if they instinctively would like to be noticed and appreciated by an old musketeer. . 

17 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Pot roast recipes

Yep.  When you start looking up recipes for Pot Roast on line, or   Shepherds Pie.  The Benefits of Prune Juice. The best brand of tennis balls... to put on the legs of your walker.    I guess the unsolicited ads I get on my computer are based on my searching for those things and not "How to train for marathons."    "Are there really only FIFTY shades of gray?"   etc.

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

When Dolly Parton releases an album with that old Skynyrd song, Free Bird, on it.  

When Dolly said she was doing a rock album to go with her introduction into the Fall of Fame, I was amazed at the list of rockers wanting to help her. There's a lot of respect for her.

2 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

She's got a serious knack for business.  She owns about everything in sight.  And her publicity team is always working...

I know. I work at the Carolina Opry. She has a business called the Pirate Voyage in the same parking lot we are in. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

27 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes, a lot. I think I water it too much!

Actually I lost all mine with that brain tumor cancer I had.  Dr. Silverberg kept telling me, I would look like Telly Sevela after my 1st chemo.  I wasn't supposed to get any back.  I survived 3 but the 1st radiation took it all. 

24 minutes ago, Retired said:

Actually I lost all mine with that brain tumor cancer I had.  Dr. Silverberg kept telling me, I would look like Telly Sevela after my 1st chemo.  I wasn't supposed to get any back.  I survived 3 but the 1st radiation took it all. 

I'm glad you're here now, that's scary stuff for sure.

• Like 1